Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Mum and dad have used them for the last five or six years and the apartments they offer are superb, but you do pay for it. Tapestry go to some out of the way places and use little known airports which could be a problem if there are delays - for holidays in the Pellion region of Greece they use Volos airport which is actually a military base.
I am not connected with them in anyway but can thoroughly recommend them. They are a small, customer focused company with an absolutely excellent reputation. They are ATOL protected. One of their pluses is that their reps are by and large local people from the area you are visiting and are very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. I haven't used them for some years now but noticed that in a recent Guardian/Observer survey they did very well.
Hi

We travelled to Turkey with Tapestry six times between 2000 and 2004.
We were always delighted with the service on offer.

We're now looking at possibly booking for late 2006. However, I'm really put off going again with Tapestry after looking at the latest brochure.

It used to be a work of art - very slick, very glossy, and regulalry won awards. The new one is drab and low quality and a lot of accomodation in Turkey has been dropped (although admittedly they are going to other areas of the Med more). I hope it's not a sign that they're in trouble or letting their standards slip.

Has anyone got experience with Tapestry in the last 12 months?
Exclusive Escapes have alot of the Turkish properties that Tapestry used to feature.

http://www.hiddenturkey.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Louise
Rich - you have been with Tapestry six time before so presumably you were happy with them.

Their brochure is not so glossy now but it says why inside - recycled paper, more information on their website etc etc. A less glossy brochure should not put you off using Tapestry. They have cut capacity for 2006 but still go to many of their favourite hotels and villas. I have been with them four times in the last two years and have booked to go with them twice next year.

Their new brochure has not put me off - its the same Turkey and same friendly turkish people. The brochure is not what the holiday is all about. I'd rather go with Tapestry than rely on a glossy Tui or First Choice brochure!!
Sad to see the announcement today that Tapestry have ceased trading with immediate effect.

I've had a number of excellent holidays in Kalkan with Tapestry and am sorry to see them go under. I wish all their staff (in Turkey and the UK) well.
Any idea why Taxman? I know that the original founders had left a couple of years ago to form another company offering similar hoidays, but the standards and hotels Tapestry were offering were still high.
Like you, we have used them for trips to Kalkan and they would probably have been the only tour operator we would ever use for any type of holiday. Seems a shame that smaller tour companies appear to be driven out of business by the high turnover, low margin, low customer service organisations.
Sorry to hear that - we had 3 holidays with them, 2 in Turkey, one in Greece and were impressed at their high standards. We nearly booked with them to go to Turkey in October. I did find over the last couple of years though that they had dropped a lot of self catering acommodation and gone rather too exclusive and upmarket, as well as taking on other destinations like Oman and Marrakech. Perhaps they mis-read the market?

The spin off companyis Exclusive Escapes http://www.hiddenturkey.com and just deals in Turkey - also quite upmarket but looks fabulous.
They had been losing money over the last few years. They tried cutting capacity this year but obviously that didn't work.

Their pricing strategy was never clear and seemed to change year on year - yet you still found they offered up to 50% off brochure prices for early booking. I think they couldn't decide if they were at the upper or lower end of the market and ended up being neither.

It's a shame because they had a good product and were highly thought of.
I have used Exclusive Escapes a couple of times, and their properties are quite fantastic.

I think EE poached a number of their flagship places from Tapestry.
Very sad news. We have travelled with both TApestry and Exclusive Escapes and had wonderful holidays with both. For anyone who has been affected by the collapse (my parents were) Exclusive have managed to secure some of the Tapestry properties and are able to rebook people's existing holidays.

G
we had a feeling Tapestry were having problems last year when they started selling their holidays through Thomas Cook. I did contact them at that time regarding the complete lack of information available from T. C. and suggested this might not help their reputation. We will miss this great tour operator.
We can vouch for Tapestry too, having had some wonderful holidays....Sadly we have had our holiday cancelled but would still love to go to the Mulberry Tree in Turgotkoy. I have tried everything to find a contact for them, to no avail. Is there someone out there with this info??

We'd be sooooooo grateful!

Thanks!
Hi Tashap

Might be better to begin a new topic for the Mulberry Tree in the appropriate forum so more people view it :wink:

Pippy :D
Very saddened to hear of the demise of Tapestry.

http://www.tapestryholidays.com/

We had some lovely holidays with them in Turkey and Greece. This included our honeymoon. We always enjoyed a very high level of service.

Of course it's a right royal pain in the backside if you're due to go on holiday with them soon. At least customers have the knowledge they'll get their cash back.

My heart really goes out to company's own staff, but especially the properties who have just found out they'll be getting no more visitors this season. I imagine it will mean ruin for some, and certainly many staff will be laid-off. Kalkan will probably suffer.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised about the news however. Apparently bird flu is being highlighted as the straw that broke the camel's back.

But in recent years they had ditched a lot of the accomodation that made them successful and branched out into other areas where they didn't already have a strong reputation. You know the old business addage about never being more vulnerable than when you're expanding.

Sad day.

Richard.
i think it was the croatian part of the operation that sank them.several of the smaller pensions/hotels are around my village and will feel the impact.If anyone wants info direct from these places drop me a pm
Tapestry's Turkey customers should look on here to see if they can rebook their existing holiday, once they have their money back:

http://www.hiddenturkey.co.uk/tapestry
Just got back from The Mulberry Tree, and sad to say it looks like this one is closing, certainly for the rest of this season. As we left, everything was being taken down to be put into storage, with all the staff being laid off. Though rumours about Thomas Cook and First Choice (in Turgutkoy - think their guests would go stir crazy!!) were circulating, informed opinion was suggesting that this hotel probably wouldn't be picked up ....

It's very sad as we've enjoyed several holidays with Tapestry and felt a strong affinity with them.

Jez
Just wondering whether anyone reading has been affected by the closure of Tapestry Holidays? My holiday was cancelled a week prior to travel and struggling to get reimbursement from ABTA/ATOL... paid for holiday in full 4 months ago. :?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.