Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Taxis come in all sizes so you shouldn't have a problem and prices are 'negotiable' (in other words you need to haggle :lol:) Another option would be to book a transfer through Med Hotels (link below). You don't need to have booked accommodation through them but they only go officially to the hotels which they use. Have a look at the second link which shows you a map of Hammamet and see how near your apartment is to one of their hotels. You can then book as far as that hotel and ask the driver very nicely when you get in (waving a 5 or 10 dinar note) if he would be kind enough to take you there - it's worked for me. If you do use them, make a note of their local phone number so you can organise the return trip.

http://www.medhotels.com/transfer/tr_index.asp?SID=

http://www.holidaymaps.de/afrika/tunesien/hammamet.html

Driving (or rather the drivers) can be horrendous in Tunisia. I know quite a few ex-pats who drive there regularly but you would need strong nerves.
Driving!

No problem, I do it often, in fact this year I'm almost certainly going to hire a car while there, I usually take my own car. Yes you do need to be confident, you'll be constantly honked at because that is what they do but it normally means "I am here" rather than "get out of my way" as in "I'm going to creep into the small gap alongside you so don't turn my way". Out on the open road just keep your brain in gear, don't try to drive like them and you'll avoid trouble before it starts.
If you don't fancy driving then use the local transport, generally the drivers are pretty helpful, and it is a very cheap way to travel. You have the choice of trains, buses (as in National Express style on long routes), local buses, louage (shared minibus, leaves for the destination when full) and taxis.
Kevin
Driving!

No problem,
Not for you Kevin and as I said many ex-pats do it quite happilly, but I even been known to close my eyes and pray in a taxi or louage. :roll: Perhaps it's my religion, I'm a devout coward. :rofl
Thanks everyone. I suspect I shall pass on the driving and leave it to the fearless Husband!
But he doesn't fancy picking up a hire car at the airport and using it for transfer as we arrive
in the dark and have no idea how to get to the hotel. Re the louage - can one pick them up at the airport and use them to get to a hotel? Or are there larger taxis that could cope with 4 adults and as many cases? I have now had an email from the Hotel, a new one called Residence Narjess,
quoting 80 euros each way for transfer which does seem a bit steep to us - or am I wrong? Can anyone estimate roughly a fair taxi price from Tunis to Hammamet? Knowing that would at least give us a
chance of not being ripped off as soon as we arrive!
I think that you are right, 80 euro is 146 TD that is more than two taxis would cost I'm sure.
Your hubby is right too, not a good idea to get off the plane and straight into a hire car. Best not to drive at night at all really, you'll meet donkeys, with and without carts, mopeds with no lights, on both sides of the road, both coming toward you, and many, many unlighted children.
All that said I still say driving is easy if you are a confident driver.
Kevin
All that said I still say driving is easy if you are a confident driver.

And even easier in Kevin's very large vehicle - no donkey (or native Tunisian) would want to meet that head on, particularly in the dark. :rofl

Back on topic - do remember that taxi prices go up quite steeply in the evenings, I think it's after about 8.30. Also remember to hang on to your cases when you get to the airport or a friendly porter will grab them and take them to a taxi so you will have to haggle with both him and the driver for a fair price, as well as giving him a tip.
September is wedding season in Tunisia so hire cars will be in high demand and possibly more expensive.

Dorra
Hi, I am going to Skanes in July with my husband and 3 children (14, 12 and 8 years) and wondered if someone could offer advice on care hire and getting around? We wouldn't all fit in 1 taxi and usually hire a car and do our own site-seeing, avoiding the company bus trips. I have heard that its not advisable to hire a car due to their lack of safety regulations and driving can be dangerous at night. Is this true???
Also can anyone recomend trips and activities in the desert that are suitable for all the family?
Look forward to recieving any advice offered. Thanks, splodge02 :que
Hi,

Car hire is quite expensive in Tunisia compared to some other Mediterranean countries and as Aslemma pointed out, some of the driving is quite hair-raising!

Chrissy - EUR80 is too much for a taxi to Hammamet. You don't mention which airport you're arriving at - Monastir is further than Tunis so will cost more, but as an idea I've paid TND70 on a couple of occasions from Tunis to Hammamet, which is about £35. Even allowing for a bit of extra distance if you're arriving in Monastir and a price increase as I haven't used taxi transfers for a couple of years, EUR80 seems way too much. Also - anyone who can get you to Hammamet in 30-40 mins is likely to be of the hair-raising driver variety! Whether I've used a taxi, or been driven by an expat or local friend, the transfer to Tunis has always been around an hour and, as said, Monastir is further.

Splodge02 - There are several trips to the desert that can be arranged, however, if you don't want to take the 2 or 3 day trips that can be organised through your tour operator,perhaps someone here who has a bit more experience of the area can help you out. One word of warning though - in July the temperatures are likely to be searingly hot. I was in Tataouine one May and it was already hitting 40C :tongue . In July this is likely to be higher. Just something to bear in mind, especially if travelling with children.

A.
Skanes to the desert is a long drive, well worth it in my view, but then I've done similar 5 times.
Anywhere out of Tunis is ok for driving in my opinion, I do drive a 4x4 in Tunisia, but I also hired a Fiat Punto in Aghir, Djerba and drove it to Douz, Kebili and Bechni. The Tunisians are always in a hurry, just drive sensibly and you'll be ok. Douz is good on Friday, it is market day, the square is full of Tunisians, as a tourist you get left pretty much alone. Outside of Douz, near the Zone Touristique is a "Camel Station" from here you can take a 2 hour or a 2 week camel ride.
BUT as said, the desert in July is very hot. You could go to the Ile de Djerba, there is a crocodile park there. The journey is interesting, on the way there is the Mareth Military Museum, (the Mareth Line - WWII), the ferry, carrying cars, donkey carts, etc, and once on the island you could visit the Crocodile Park. Yes, they have a crocodile conservation project, there are around 400 crocs, some are very big, and yes, you will be suprised how close you can get to them. If you go to Houmt Souk there is a guy called Kashir, Mohammed, he has a shop selling straw hats etc, but if you go to his workshop (out the back) he will show you how he uses every bit of the palm tree to make hats, mats, waste bins, coasters, etc etc.
Leave the island via the causeway to Zarzis and then you have the options to visit Tataouine and/or Matmata.
If you want to stay away from Skanes for a night on the trip to the desert, the Hotel Mars 20 (20th March) in Douz, is a very cheap, but comfortable stopover. E-mail first though they are very popular, especially with cyclists.

Kevin
Hi Chrissy, Regarding a car from the airport to your hotel, I'm not sure whether you are flying in to Tunis or Monastir but as Med Hotels transfers seem to using another company now, and in any case they only officially went to the hotels used by Med Hotels, I'm trying out A2B Transfers from Tunis to Sousse in April (link below). They are a little dearer that the ones used by Med Hotels but offer a door to door service which will save me 'negotiating' with the driver. :lol:

http://www.a2btransfers.com/?gclid=CKWQ34We_58CFdkB4wodLUdvkw
Aslemma it is worth looking at transfers4u again which is the company that took over from Med Hotels as they transfer you to most hotels direct now, not just a Med hotel anymore and no need to negotiate, there is a complete list of hotels in a drop down box on their website.

http://www.transfers4u.com/

Graham
Hi Graham, I've had another look at them but their site is still giving the same information as when I checked previously. They do not appear to go to Sousse from Tunis, the nearest being PEK, with the only hotel reasonably close to Sousse being the Sinbad which is in Hamman Sousse. They do go to Sousse from Monastir but the only hotels they list are the Sousse Palace, Riadh Palms and Marhaba Royal Salem. I've paid just over £17 return with a2b which isn't too bad so I'll see how it goes.

PS and completely :offtop Why have I lost my avatar? :que
:shrug me no know, do you link to it from an offsite location? if so that website might be down?

Double check your setting in the user control panel, that is me reached the limit of my IT support skills :D
No Graham, I just came on as usual and haven't changed anything. Several avatars aren't showing on my computer either but to save staying :offtop I'll post a note to 'them upstairs'. x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.