Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I am paying £30 return for a car/taxi to the same area (club fanara) with Thomas Cook. There are 2 of us going and you pay for the car not the number of people.
personally I would probably take the transfer. Not sure how much a taxi should cost but you can very easily get ripped off
Could anyone please tell me about how much we should pay for a taxi at Sharm airport going to the Iberotel Grand Sharm hotel in Naama Bay?
I know it is a nightmare at the airport so would like to have a price in mind so I am as stress free as possible!
A tenner would have been too much, but acceptable on your honeymoon. £20 is just extortion!!!
How do others fare with getting a taxi at at reasonable price at SSH?

Been over a couple of times in the past, but despite being persistant and haggeling, cant get anything less than £15 GBP (say to the LTI/nabq)

Seems to me that all the drivers have agreed not to go below £15 - hence you have no choice to pay.

Have others found the same? Going next month, down to the Reef Oasis (old sharm)? How much have others managed to get a taxi for?
[b] :? hi have just found this forum alo have always used reviews for booking hotels.
can anyone know how much a taxi is from sharm airport to hilton sharks bay.
myself or my partner cant remember and it was only may when we were last there!!!!!!
we got a taxi back to the airport as holiday company wanted to pick us up about 3 hours before, this time i have booked everything myself ( getting very brave ) so just need to know how much cash i need
thanks
Hi, Could anyone please tell me how much a taxi would cost from the Port in Sharm to Mirabel Beach Resort. Going on a cruise then stopping in Sharm.

Thanks for any info!
8)
Can anyone tell me if its easy to get a taxi instead of using the transfer bus from Sharm airport to the Ras Om El Sid area, and if so what kind of prices to expect. Got seriously fed up with waiting for the transfer buses and having to go everywhere before finally reaching our hotel. Thanks to anyone who replies.
Its very easy to get a taxi at the airport, Janetia, and a nice quick journey to Ras um Sid. As to how much you'll have to pay, well that depends mostly on your bargaining skills. As Sharm gets more and more popular, the taxi prices are "all over the place". £5, £10, £15 even £20 has been reported recently. In myopinion, if you are filling the taxi and have luggage, £5 or LE50 is quite sufficient and what I paid last time. I suppose the drivers have a look at how many arrivals there are at a particular time so if the airport is quieter, the fares quoted are cheaper. You would be truly amazed to see how little, locals pay for a taxi!

If you do get a taxi instead of the tour bus transfer, dont forget to tell the local rep so that you dont keep a bus load waiting for you. This does happen quite a bit and is frustrating for the other passengers.
Just got back from Sharm.
Took a taxi from Domina Oasis Resort to Naama Bay from our reception.
Dont they try it on.
We asked to be dropped and picked up, so the taxi driver took us and when he dropped us off a man was waiting called Mohammed, he said come to my shop and at 11pm return and I can call taxi for you. Well we knew what his game was, he said 20% off. he had about 5 shops in all. We said we would come back later and of course we did not.
Just be aware of the games they play.
Cher
We have just returned from Sharm, booking our flights independently. I knew it was going to be a problem through reading this site about acquiring taxis at the airport, so braced myself on arrival at the airport.

True to form. There were guys running around and shouting 'taxi'. They wanted to charge us £25 to Nambq Bay, which is about a 7 minute ride. Unfortunately, you are in their hands, and they know this. I managed to get it down to £20, and then the guy walked off, shouting in Arabic the price he quoted to the others so they wouldnt go down from this price. He obviously didnt realise I understood him. I eventually managed to get £15.00 but that was after some time and a lot of hassle - not a good start to the holiday, when I only paid £4.00 on returning to the airport. I wish the authorities would stamp this out as it puts a lot of people off. I spoke to several people at our hotel and they stayed in the hotel for fear of being ripped off
I can't see the authorities 'stamping it out'. To them it is all income into their country so why would they bother, if a few tourists get ripped off they know we still come visit.

Last time I went I travelled on the TO's coach, spotlessly clean, air conditioned, sunblinds, and the Portland/thomson bloke, who was Egyptian told us a little bit about Sharm and Egypt. The transfers aren't long max about 40 mins and you get to see a few other hotels as well so you can weigh them up for your next visit. Oh and it's free (well not exactly, but you know what I mean) :wink: I couldn't stand the stress of getting a cab at the start of the holiday.
Could anyone please tell me who are the best people to book transfers to sharm with. This is our first time to egypt and are doing it diy. How much will it cost roughly.

Thanks Diane.
hi di, where are you flying to? If you are flyinginto sharm airport, you can take a taxi from there, or depending on your hotel you may be able to book a transfer from them. when do you go?
we go in march and are staying at the st george three corners, in sharm el sheik.

Diane.
Read my comments as above. Im afraid if you are flying into Sharm and need a taxi from the airport to the hotel. You will be ripped off. You dont stand a chance believe me, they will leave you high and dry if you dont take their price. One man I argued with just walked off, its the last thing you need after a long journey.

I suggest you try and contact the hotel and ask if they can arrange a taxi, but get the price first. Good luck.
the hotel will probably have a bus to come and collect you di, so I would contact them and see what they say. otherwise take a taxi....but be ready to barter barter barter!!
what if you book a transfer through a company will we still have the same trouble, like say resort hoppa etc.

Thanks Diane.
Hi, I have booked independent flights and hotel to Sharm in April and what is the easiest way to get from the airport to the hotel? I have read scary reviews about the taxis! Is there a transfer coach that we could book or will the hotel have one? We are staying at the Calimera Royal Moderna (keeps changing its name). Any advice welcome! :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.