Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Good report Taximania

I have to say MD was never one of my favourites even when I was a manager for Thomas Cook.

I found staff and management rude and unhelpful, even when we had a film crew there filming the hotel.

Unfortunately, I think the mentality of "this cash cow is not going to last" has set in and they are all ripping people off.

I am reserving a lot of judgement as I go back out next week to stay at the Highland - again

Thanks

Al
Hi Taximania
I think you summed up how we felt about Goa even though it was our first trip. There was lots we loved but also some things we were disappointed in, we too stayed at the MD and the food :yikes why not sort it as it is such a nice hotel :que

We are going to try Thailand next year (if the price is right) but I am sure we will return to Goa as we really did have a good time,maybe stay in the Ronil beach were we are not held to ransom by the taxi drivers.

Debi
Al have a peep on first choice for highland beach, now coming in at only £325 for 2 weeks :tup

Had a look at highland whilst there and it looked just fine.

Have a good time

Taxi

Worth £325 just for the first choice flight alone
Unfortunately, we have booked - £500 each approx - doh!

There are 8 of us going. Our party of four are flying MyTravel/Thomas Cook

The other for are flying FC ............I'm not jealous ha ha

Only booked it early because last year we struggled to get flights/accom and ended up with Osbourne.

I used to live at the Osbourne, but it looks like it hasn't been painted since 2000/01 and it still overlooks a pig farm.

Did not want to take same chance again.

I love the Highland though....is like a second home. First place I ever stayed in Goa - when there were only 3 blocks
"That all its worth really 250-300 a good good price just for the winter sun alone but no more than that."

I would agree, if you can get a couple of weeks including food and drink for 600 - 650 that to me is what Goa is worth these days. Unless they get the finger out and show they care about tourists what do they really expect.

Rip-off artists... I agree the last time I was at the Royal Goan at Monterio I thought that area was getting a bit rough round the edges.... where are the police of course!
We must have been staying at a different hotel the last 10 years! Thought it was the Marinha Dourada! :que
I have to say when we stayed in the MD the staff were polite and helpful.

The food at the snack bar during the day is another story that was awful :yikes in the end if we stayed by he pool we just stuck to fries, I just don't understand why a good hotel like the MD doesn't sort that out :que

The only other thing I didn't like was the fact that you were at the mercy of the Taxi drivers, who altered prices from day to day and many were downright rude :que other than that I would return in an instance.
Spooky. Yet another review with the same attitude. Wonder if they treat us this way because we are the Dregs?? Goa will really have to scrape the barrel next year when all the decent tourists go else where.

Way to blow a good thing goa.

Good report Taximania
Good report taximania. Shame about the MD - It's very popular with HT members so not good if it's on the decline.
GFF xx
Another excellent report with the same story to tell.I'm beginning to have second thoughts about next season ?? :( :(
Good report taxi...but very sad all this, isnt it .... I think we are all becoming very disillusioned.. :(
A very honest report taxi ,i felt like you when i came back this year i was already booked up for next year,but i felt it was time to say goodbye to goa so i canceled i lost my deposit but it was no good going back to somewhere i was not going to enjoy,i will have a lot of fond memeries of goa,i still think people can still go there and have a good holiday,may be i am just goan out after 10 year, i have my own thoughts what is going on there,i have booked up for cuba next year for 3 weeks,so i will see what that is like,so any newbies going to goa try it you will problely love it like i did.
Great report, at last we're getting some "warts and all" reports, some of the rose tinted ones you read, make me wonder if they are reporting on the same Goa I visit. Alan
Great report Taximania, but as people are pointing out the place is going down hill fast, I think it is now about time that "ALL" the Goan addicts on this forum should start bombarding the Goan tourist board with emails as to what we "The Good British" paying tourists are now experiencing (I believe they know already).

I think one area where they could improve things is, insisting all licenced taxi's have meters fitted and are on full display, as what was supposed to be enforced a couples of years back.
I have read on the forum that the regular Goan visitors are now boycotting the taxi drivers by other means of transport bus/tuck-tuck etc, maybe the taxi drivers might wake up and see the revenue they have lost this season by there extortionate overcharging, also another good point is to order the same driver, that I know really infuriates them when he picks you up outside of the hotel you are staying in.

I also think that next year there will be even more problems if the tourist figures fall again, you will see crime increase dramaticlly and prices whereever you eat or drink will sharply rise...jxk8
"tourist figures fall again"

Has it really been that quiet or is it that they haven't seen the projected increase expected this year. Maybe all these new hotels aren't getting occupied or it's just lower UK tourists and more Russians.

At the end of season somebody should maybe hold an online poll.
jxk8 - good point about taxi drivers, we always have the same one who we like and trust and who doesn't rip us off and it really gets up the backs of the other taxi drivers who are outside of your hotels but it is in their own hands.
I think on the taxi drivers situation its ok if you have been before because you know whats what and how much you should be paying. Its the newbies I feel sorry for because they dont know any different and you can bet they get ripped left right and center. I try to give everyone good advise whilst there about what you should be paying. Dont be afraid to use the buses, it is so easy and cheap and most buses get you there as quick as a taxi. Its a great experience using the buses and the conductors on them are very helpful, most can understand what you are saying, it can be a great laugh. You might have to share the bus with a few chickens and other live stock but hey its Goa.

On a lighter note whilst out walking all you hear is taxi taxi, my OH turns round and says No my name is Tom. They didnt forget it and stopped asking him. On other occasions we said no were are getting the bus its far cheaper, well the look you would get but it teaches them a hard lesson., you do have other options most of the time by using buses.
with regard to the taxi prices, we knew what we should be paying, but being stuck in Apora we had no choice but to pay the hiked up prices in order to get home (especially at night) they were all sticking together and saying 150rps from the start of the new Baga bridge to the MD in Apora :que the kids couldn't walk so we had to pay, and as there were 7 of us that meant 2 taxis costing about £2 each(we were only getting 74rps to the £) not much more by ours for such a short trip. We all know how much it would be if the meter was on :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.