Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
thanks Fiona
12 Posts
"I suppose we only get so heated up over issues because we love Goa but whatever way we think or feel this will not change anything so lets just get chilled"

If even one member of the Goan Tourist board or Environmental Group looked at some of the comments on this discussion group I would be extremely happy. Yes the State is very corrupt and our 'discussions' may mean very little but if we sit around and sing the praises of Goa and be complacent sooner or later our little 'paradise' will become a stinking hell-hole.

I like many other people have spent a lot of money on holidays on Goa not because it is cheap, because I like the place (or some of it anyway).
I know what your are saying and agree wholeheartedly but refer to my last post - there is nothing you or I or anyone else can say that will change anything so there is no point in getting into heated debates that upset others. This is just mo only. I would much sooner focus on what is good about Goa and enjoy it while I can. Most of the things we feel angst about today we will laugh about tomorrow because there is a certain irony to Goa which in a strange way has attracted many of us in the first place to return. I realise that many things that happen and the way things are done there are not in the least bit funny but I can't change these things and would I want to :?: ...probably not...why :?: because it's not my place to, I am just a visitor. The Goan people are already putting their feet down en masse about some of the changes and I salute them for that. Change has to come from within and yes they are making mistakes. Hopefully they will get it right in the end.
"because it's not my place to, I am just a visitor"

Well I have had long discussions with a few influential people on the Environmental Committee in Goa who would love to get support from long time holiday makers. So to say it is not your place is very odd since Goa is dependent on your money and views.

This forum is called 'Holiday Truth' after all and is a 'Discussion' group'.
One discussion with a long time Goa friend almost ended in a real falling out just recently. We were talking about the long time or winter stayers contribution to the Goan economy and he told me we did not count. How do you make that out I asked?
His view was that we have been coming so long we no longer buy the things we did a few years back like spending silly money on souveniers or having clothes made etc. I pointed out we payed rent, hired scooters, bought food in the market but he was having none of this. We were not eating and drinking in many restaurants but cooking at home and frequenting the cheapest bars or staying home some nights buying our drinks from the wine shop.
Now we dare to use the buses we were putting taxis out of business and we want everything as cheap as possible. It is only "2 weekers" they want as they spend all the money. I was going to answer back but changed my mind and as I walked out of his house he shouted - I didn't mean you - I didn't return for over a week and when I did I was greeted with a cheery hello as if he had never said anything to upset me. I was very angry for a couple of days about what he had said but my OH told me to let it go.
This is quite a change from the welcoming Goans we came to know years ago and we have known this person for 12 years as a family friend and I was shocked to learn this is how he now thinks which is very unlike him.
  • Edited by narial 2007-05-06 14:27:54
Yes our money goes into the Goan economy but it is their choice how they spend it. If they choose not to spend it on the infrastructure, clearing up garbage etc., that is their choice and I have no control over that. If the state legislature was interested in what we "as visitors" think then maybe they should ask us. I have never been asked by anybody "in authority" in Goa for my input so this would indicate that they are not interested in my view. They seem only interested in filling their pockets with money gained corruptly off the back of tourism (over which I have no control unless I stop going there - but there will always be someone else to take my place). When I spoke to a local hotelier about local issues and gave my view, i was told in no uncertain terms"this is not the way we do things" so I now "but out" and get on with what I and others on HT go to Goa to do which is to relax and enjoy ourselves. Yes, this is holiday truths and yes, we are entitled to our individual opinion - but it won't change anything :!: I will not be entering into further discussion on this as I think I have made my point. :zip
Just to get back to the topic, it really is a good job we have Fiona we would be lost without her. :tup
thanks everyone
Just to reiterate - this is holiday truths rather than a general Goa discussion group. It is all about asking and answering questions about a holiday in Goa. Obviously there are issues which directly effect the holidaymaker and debate round these issues is fine. Political discussions are not what this forum is for.
Please remember that for many- Goa is a fortnights holiday and if they don't see things the same way as you in any debate then that does not make them a lesser person.
Hughesy - you are spot on, things get heated as we all have our opinions and love Goa so much, what you said about you wishing you had discovered Goa sooner rings true with me, I first went out there in 2005 and wished I had gone about 10 years earlier, just think how unspoilt it would have been then and how many more holidays I could have spent there. Still whatever , Goa is still beautiful and I will be back many more times I am sure, shirleyv
I take your point Fiona re this being about holidays, but surely the excellent point from Narial regarding how the attitude from the Goans point of view is changing, from what we, who have been going for years, knew in the old days, to a much more materialistic approach many of them have today. Goa was the most prosperous state in India long before the package holidays started in the mid 80s and there has been a downside for the many Goans not directly involved in tourism. This change in attitude will perhaps be seen more and more in years to come which will be sad for all of us who knew their genuine friendship in years gone by Alan
yes Alan
I certainly did find narials post interesting.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.