Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We have a thread for Air Passenger Rights as provided by travel law lawyer Ros Fernihough Click Here to view.

These rights, and your rights as holidaymakers as a whole, are available for you to print off free from my signature.
That's exactly where I got that extract

Very very informative - its amazing how all airlines, not just the particularly bad ones, seem to go to extreme lengths to avoid you being able to claim what you are entitled to.

I'm not sure how old that article is but I know there were some significant changes to passengers rights (European legislation) within the last 12 months all of which further benefited the customer.
Hi Dave
just read your hotel review on The Silver Sands and have definitely crossed this place off our list.

Reading through the other earlier reviews, it appears to have gone downhill rapidly this year.
As reviews from previous years have generally been good, it still has an average user rating of '4 suns' - I guess this will decrease quickly with more negetive reviews.

Good luck with sorting out compensation for your delayed flight.

Polly
I just say it as it is - it has to be said though there was talk of more bungalows being built and a bit of refurbishment-close season so it may well improve next year!
mrfrostie :wave Loved parts 1 & 2 but how's part three coming along ?.

I love a market and spices :wink:
well its all gone a bit nuts at work this week!! (lol back to normality!! :(
hopefully part 3 on sunday evening though! :shock:
:hyper Will be looking for it :tup
Great report Mr Frostie really interesting. Looking forward to Part 3 .... roll on sunday night :D
Well at long last part 3 of 4 of our fantastic holiday...
Goa Holiday-18th April -2nd April 2006
Part 3-Markets, churches and Spice

Having described the chaotic driving conditions of the Goan roads it might seem strange that we decided to take a trip out in a Taxi to Old Goa, but we felt safe in the knowledge that Patrick our driver for the day had never killed anyone yet!. Now this trip is offered by the tour companies and sure go with them if you want to be hoarded around like sheep, we had Patrick at our beck and call and he was brilliant! He took us round the more interesting churches of Old Goa and came in with us to point out unusual and interesting things. We had arrived before nine in the morning so beating the tourist coaches and the strongest heat of the day and although none of us were heritage mad it was pleasant enough to wonder around the churches and gardens almost on our own and before the Hawkers and beggars had gathered at the gates
It was a refreshing change to the hustle and bustle of Candolim.
When we met Patrick he suggested a drive to some Spice gardens and Temples, 'Its not very far' he assured us -Two hours later(!!!) we arrived at a car park in the middle of the jungle, the long journey was worth it- Patrick had taken us through the beautiful countryside, we went through jungles, over hills and round the paddy fields, we stopped numerous times to look at Temples and to admire the view- our driver had chosen a truly impressive route.
The Spice Gardens is set up for tourism but is a working Spice Plantation a bit of a tourist trap but well worth a visit, for 300 ruppees you get a traditional Indian welcome, tour through the jungle with a very knowledgable guide who points out the spice plants followed by a luncheon of curries and rice served on a dried banana leaf, there is obviously the opportunity to spend much more but there is no pressure-everything is chilled and relaxed - The big downer was a sad looking elephant at the entrance, he was being poked and prodded by his guardians to perform for the tourists, he was shouted at to make him roar, and hunted into water to squirt water over paying tourists-take your camera out and a little Indian appears with a price list for taking photos with the elephant in it-sad sight of the day and total contrast to the wild monkeys who gathered to watch us 4 humans walk back to our car through the jungle they watched us with great interest from a close distance-suddenly it was us in the zoo! -This fantastic day out cost the three of us 800rupees for Patrick and his car -the highlight of the holiday!
Our first taxi trip of the holiday was to Anjuna Flea market (300 rupees from Candolim) The driver said 2 hours wait' and we wondered if this would be enough-10 minutes and we had had enough! The begging, and pleading to 'come into my shop!' was constant and relentless the only exception was the hippy quarter where the ex-pats were so spaced out on something they hardly noticed us! Its literally acres of tat-worth a look to get a different experience, but not particularly pleasant.A far better option is The night market on Saturdays a much nicer atmosphere and although many stalls are similar there is a ban on hastling the customers so you get a better chance to browse, there is live music of various quality and fast food and bar outlets which are excellent- please note there are 2 night markets, one in Baga and the original one called Ingo-The taxi driver may tell you the Baga one is better but its not s-there just is'nt the traffic chaos that occurs around the Ingo market! But its certainly worth joining the giant snake of taxis as they wind their way from the resorts to the better event
Well it looks like there will be a part 4 to my story-Massage, beaches and the airport...
Great reading again Mr Frostie but the poor elephant ..... :(
Sounds like my kind of trip. Have waited patently all week for part 4 and have only one day to go, so I might be reading it when I get back :lol:

PS could you PM me with some info about Patrick ie phone No etc thanks

Alan
Excellent report. I have to agree with you about Anjuna. Hated it. We only lasted half an hour. You can't walk 2 feet without being hassled, some of which was quite aggressive especially the ear cleaners!!!! Mackies was a lot better.
Great report. I have merged your threads together as it is worth keeping as one read!
-BEACHES-MASSAGE AND THAT AIRPORT!

Finally made it-the final part of my holiday report...

The beach at Candolim is vast- its difficult to know where one resort finishes and the next starts the sand is fine quality but the sea during our stay was a violent torrent of waves and under-currents, you could splash around amongst the breakers but were sensible if you didn't attempt to swim.
The beach huts were all much of a much ness, we found that the much hyped Bobby's Shack is over rated, all they tried to do was sell their dolphin boat trip-a bit pointless as we could see these beautiful animals from the beach anyway!...their sun beds a bit groggy and their attitude a bit well ..its the end of the season and we can't be bothered anymore!
Took a taxi to Coco beach which was pleasant enough and on a couple of days we found the beautiful littleVagator Beach which was lovely and peaceful, here the Hawkers were more prominent but when the girls realised we weren't interested in buying from them they sat down and had a chat about us!
As at least 8 days of our holiday was spent relaxing on the sun-beds the beaches played a big part of our holiday.
I may of mentioned in my Hotel report that the beds at Silver Sands Beach Resort were Hard! Well I can't emphasize this fact enough! Especially as on one morning I woke up in total agony-my back had given up-I couldn't sit up that alone walk-our holiday was in jeopardy... it was only day 7.
My partner went to the pharmacy and got pain killers which had limited effect, but on day two of the agony I seriously considered arranging to fly home- now, throughout the village there were places offering 'genuine massage'-it was a long shot but I hobbled in and told the young man my symptoms-he suggested the Navarakizhi massage which involved a full body massage with the application of boiling hot herbs and oils!-Instantly the rest of my party said yes and pushed me in a state of panic into the little cubicle with the man who was already oiling up his hands!
With apprehension I took my shirt off and went to lie on the bed, I'm very shy about my body and don't do public nudity so imagine my horror when he indicated that I must remove my shorts- minutes later I was completely naked face down on the bed whilst this total stranger methodically rubbed and oiled every bit of my body, it has to be said with great professionalism and skill, I was soon totally relaxed lying there thinking of England! My embarrassment gone!
After 90 minutes(!!!!!!!) another chap turned up with a gas stove and soon I could hear the oils and herbs sizzling - I gasped at the hot sensation as they were applied but my worry now was how on earth am I going to get rid of all the oil which was in absolutely every crevice!...the solution, my new Indian friend picked up a rough towel and carefully rubbed every bit of my body till I was dry...and to think 2 hours earlier I wouldn't even let him look at me naked! -Did it work? well I hobbled down to Chocolati for coffee feeling strange-kind of tingly-got up from the chair and the pain had gone!-highly recommended ...but not for the bashful!
The day of departure came all to soon especially as we lost our first day, we had a taxi to the airport -a great advantage, however the driver dropped us at the wrong door and we found ourselves checking in to a Russian flight! The checks and queues are all a bit pointless 7 passport checks before we boarded I think, but fascinating to see a man weighing the suitcases by hand-The airport departure lounge is just that with a tiny Duty free shop and a rip off snack kiosk-I definitely recommend taking a bottle of water and sandwiches!

So here we are back home -it has to be said we loved it! Totally relaxing despite the apparent chaos, Northern Goa is becoming expensive by Indian standards but between two of us we only spent £370 in two weeks and we ate well!
Deli-belly?- Yes, a little but just go to the chemist and she will give you some yellow pills (30 rupees).
Our next holiday is Turkey in October, and due to other commitments it will be at least two years before we return to Goa-but we definitely will! (if just for a Navarakizhi massage!!!!)
:rofl
so we will all be looking out for your Turkey report!! :lol:
Wow Mr frostie, top reporting there Michael Palin! Fantastically wrote. Thank you it took me back.
Can't wait for our first visit in December :lol: :lol:
Turkey first though :lol: :lol:
Great report1 As matter of interest, how is the back now?
Well Pedro- The back is fine-no ill effects since! only the stress of every day life as manager of a seaside hotel!
ps glad you like the reporting -hope there are some useful bits in there...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.