Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
The euro
4 Posts
Jan 1st, but you can still spend Liri until the end of Jan (and will get back change in euros)
Once again do be careful with the rate of exchange 'given' by the 'bus drivers.

The Maltese Government has been very strict with the exchange rates, actually fining some establishments who had rounded up to their advantage, but the Malta 'busses still a law onto themselves.

On our last stint in Sliema we got into cinversation with a couple who had come into Valetta on a cruise ship. The were only armed with Euro's and the 'bus driver assured them the (20c) fare was one Euro, that's about twice the exchange rate.

So after 1st January 2008, please readers be warned.
What a shame that the Maltese Liri is going! I suppose really although I hope we can keep our £ it's inevitable that we're gonna have to adopt the Euro in the UK sometime in the future. It'll certainly seem strange not having to change currency to visit Malta but probably very convenient,

Trev
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.