General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
My husband and I rarely go on holiday together, maybe just a weekend or a last minute week somewhere warm in the winter. He is into rock climbing and mountaineering, I would rather keep my feet on the ground. He doesn't like cities but will drive round for hours looking at views (I like to look at scenery but not all the time) whereas I'm much more into cultural holidays visiting historical sites, museums, art galleries etc. We do both like to try different foods though.
I'm with you about the beach, 2hrs max and I'm bored out of my mind. I do like to do a bit of shopping but again it's no good if he is along.
So we decided many years ago to take our main holidays apart. Something must be working though as we will have been married 40Yrs in 2008.
Sounds a bit like me and hubby. He loves sunbathing, I get bored. He loves swimming in the sea. I hate it. So when we go away we go on trips, and on the days in between he sunbathes while I go walking and exploring the area, usually getting lost. I always have an lie down in the afternoon as I get heat stroke very quickly and thats when he goes swimming. We have been married for 25 years. He wants us to go on a cruise but don't know if I would enjoy it and also I get very seasick. I would love to go skiing but he doesn't fancy it, so I told him if he goes skiing I will do a cruise. Karen
My husband and I are complete opposites in most things. As you say opposites must attract. On holiday I love reading, swimming and sunbathing - all of which my husband doesn't particularly like but does just to please me. He does go for walks on his own around the resort just "to see what's there". Sometimes if we're holidaying with my sister and brother-in-law these "walks" can sometimes take all day and involve sightseeing a tavern or two. We do both enjoy an occasional organised trip or a day sightseeing on motorbikes. In the evenings we like to try the local cuisine and admire the sunsets.
As for shopping - neither of us are into it on holiday apart from a stroll around the shops after our evening meal- just to let the food settle.
Another thing I've noticed, when we're at home hubby's out of bed at the crack of dawn and I lie-in (weekends only) until about 8.30-9.00, whilst on holiday the reverse is true. I can't wait to go to breakfast and make the most of the day.
We pretty much agree on what we do on holiday. However he likes sunbathing and I hate it, retiring to hide under a parasol or in the room after an hour. He loves shopping and I detest it, although I will relent on holiday and go for a couple of hours. We both like to eat the same things apart from seafood which I don't like and he laps up.

The differences don't cause us any problems; we just work round them.

luci :wave
Luckily me and Rob are pretty similar on holidays. Neither of us can stand laying on a sunbed. We both like to explore every nook and cranny. We also both like to scuba dive, although i must admit Rob is far more passionate about that than me..so when he is diving without me, I usually go shopping or have a trip somewhere of historical interest. I enjoy those two activities far much more when Rob is not with me!! When it comes to food, I am far more adventurous than he is and will try almost anything but no matter where we go, you can guarantee Rob will eat a spaggy bol or a lasagne somewhere!!
As for the kids, well the eldest won't be seen dead on holiday with us anymore but she is a sun worshipper and the boy is a mish mash of everything..likes the pool but can't sunbathe, likes to explore but gets bored quickly if there is nothing physical to do ( ie: climb over rocks) and likes the hotel activities such as the pool table etc. Both are unadventurous when it comes to trying local cuisines. They live on cheesy chips or food of that ilk. Still, everything always works out for us.
Complete opposites during summer holidays. I hate walking about in the heat of the day preferring to lie around the pool with my book, while hubby will wander off for hours and come back full of tales about where he's been & what he's seen(usually involves a pub or 2) He'll eat anything even if he doesn't know what it is. I do try traditional dishes but only if I know exactly whats in them. When we go on short breaks however we're exactly alike. Up early for breakfast and discuss the plans for the day looking at the map.We walk for miles sightseeing stopping off for a coffe or a drink. An hour in the room with a good book to recover then out for a nice 2 or 3 course evening meal to unwind.
We are both firm believers in seeing the country you are visiting and like to be out and about exploring etc., love to try the local food and like the more traditional places to stay as we feel it's more authentic (English pubs are not our cup of tea).

In the evenings we like a nice long lingering meal with a bottle of wine to chill and watch the world go by.

Depending on the type of holiday I still like 2 or 3 lazy days where I'll sunbathe first thing for a couple of hours and then retire under a parasol with my book for the read for the day.
He hates these couple of days - he's a figit bum and can't sit still for more than an hour (I kid you not - in Mexico we'd done a 7 day tour and it was our first day on the beach and by the time I'd finished putting my suncream on he was looking for something to do!)

Finances permitting we usually have a city break (jointly decided), a two week holiday (generally suggested by me as I'm always looking for new places to visit) and a seperate week away (he's into mountain biking, I like a week yoga/spas/chilling). It seems to work for us.
Although we are opposites our joint disabilities make it work for us as we have one day doing something together and one day resting to recover.
On our rest day I can swim, sunbathe and read while he either rests on the balcony or under an umbrella round the pool.
If there is anything we want to do on our own then we would do it and meet up later but its rare.
As for food we both enjoy trying things except he won't eat fish.

We rarely argue at home and never on holiday so something must be working. :lol:
we too are complete opposties.........

he like swimming in the sea, i dont.........

i like sunbathing...........he doesnt..........

i love the shops...........he hates them..........

he will try anything to eat...........i stick to what in know.

i like flying..........he doesnt.......

at the end, i wish i could stay another week, he wants to come home and see the dog!

but it always works well when we are there!!!!
we too are complete opposties.........

he like swimming in the sea, i dont.........

i like sunbathing...........he doesnt..........

i love the shops...........he hates them..........

he will try anything to eat...........i stick to what in know.

i like flying..........he doesnt.......

at the end, i wish i could stay another week, he wants to come home and see the dog!

but it always works well when we are there!!!!

DITTO :lol: And the bairn would stay in the pool/sea all day if we let him :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.