UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi Corinne .. it may also be worth checking out/posting in the Heathrow Q&As topic in our Airlines & Airports forum.

David :wave
Hi corinne

There's not that much to see or do around Heathrow, if you have the time Windsor is not too far away..

There's the castle and also the river, you could stroll round and stretch your legs prior to your flight.

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/6008/tiphat3hz.gif
I work at Heathrow airport and live 10 minutes away. If you only have a few hours to kill before the flight. I would suggest you stay in the airport complex and have something to eat and drink. You will not have time to go and see anything without the risk of getting stuck in traffic. The traffic around the airport would stop you going to Windsor as suggested.
I live 2 miles from Heathrow. It depends on how long you have, but there is a bowling alley about 5 minutes out of the airport.

Or you could come to my house for a cup of tea :wink:
Still think you are better allowing the time to doze, booze or shop at the airport than be biting your nails in a traffic jam having had time out away from the airport ....................

.......... or is this the time that you treat yourself to a lounge?
I clean forgot about the bowling alley just outside of Heathrow!

Excellent idea for something to do to pass a few hours. They have recently done it up a bit as well. Had quite a few good nights at ten pin bowling.

My tea is horrible though, so you can't come to my house :lol:
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Windsor is definitely further than I would be happy to travel from the airport. Not particularly keen on bowling so it looks like we'll be twiddling our thumbs at the airport instead!
watch the planes? :rofl sorry.
Put your hands over your ears - that's another good idea... :rofl

If early enough you could divert to somewhere nearby - Windsor perhaps? How far away is that?
Windsor is close but not that close, wouldnt be worth the risk of getting stuck in traffic. The best bet would be to pay to use a lounge, like alcasiene says.
Windsor is a 10 minute drive in the car.
Book in to a travel lounge and enjoy the posh side of flying

If I know the M1/M25 then you may not have any time extra at all

we are just 3 junctions North of you on the M1

think about my route then relax M1-M25-M20-Tunnel-A16-A26-A28-Pont Du Normandy-A29-A84-D200

though not as long as last year we did 770 miles in 12 hours
staceylc wrote:
Windsor is a 10 minute drive in the car.

Yes it is ten minutes if you take away all the traffic lights and all the other cars on the road.

In all seriousness even Jensen Button wouldn't do it that quick in his F1 car going by the rules of the road.
It takes ten minutes too get out of the airport grounds :lol:
I'd be interested if someone else who lives near Heathrow could prove me wrong. But doing the journey into Heathrow almost daily, I can assure you I'm right
My husband drives from Windsor to Heathrow everyday and it takes him 10 - 15 minutes. And that's at 8.15 in the morning.

He misses out the M4 & goes down the Colnbrook bypass.
I think we will agree to disagree on this one :lol:
He does drive quite fast though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.