Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hello Michelle,

If you want to go shopping then try the Nueva Condomina commercial center on the outskirts of Murcia. This is on the same plot as the Murcia football stadium (of the same name), on the A-7. It is about a 40 minute drive from La Mata. Take the Cabezo de Torres turn off, it's hard to miss.

It seems like you have been subjected to the urban myth of people being gassed in their homes. I have written about this before, but I shall now attempt to put your mind at rest and to dispel the rumour altogether:-

Despite what you may have seen in Hollywood films it is very difficult to render someone unconscious. If you have ever been unlucky enough to be in hospital you would know that an anaesthetist is a trained professional. Many factors have to be taken into account before you are ‘put under'....weight and general fitness are just two. And many precautions must be taken to ensure that you ‘come round'. But in every case of alleged ‘robbery by gassing' there has never been a single instance where the victim has woken up during a robbery, or died through over exposure. It seems that robbers can administer just the right amount of gas in every case, regardless of the size of the property or the number of occupants. Perhaps they should give up their life of crime and get jobs in hospitals!

Secondly, there is no sensible explanation of how any gas is pumped into somebody's home. I have heard stories that the air conditioning system is a likely entry point, but air conditioning systems work by extracting warm air, and not by pumping in cold (your house would fill up with mosquitoes if this were not the case!). Any open window used to pump gas in would also be inadequate, as it would also act as ventilation.

Thirdly, there is no known gas that can be used. If there was, thieves could ‘go straight' and make a fortune by selling their recipe to the military and law enforcement agencies. Can you imagine how handy it would be in hijack and hostage situations? The Russians tried it, of course, in 2002 to end the theatre siege. Unfortunately they managed to kill 129 hostages. Again, the rumour is that the gas used is the same stuff that is used to start a stubborn car, this is ridiculous.

Fourthly, why would any robber go to such trouble? Carting around gas and breathing equipment. There are enough easier targets, and it is not as if they are planning to nick the crown jewels, they just get away with some cash, jewellery and perhaps a few electrical items.
In every alleged case the victim has reported waking up with a slight headache. Again, this is hardly surprising. I think I would have a slight headache if I woke up and found myself robbed! There has never been any residual trace of any gas found.

Take sensible precautions and you should have no trouble. Personally, I have an alarm and a dog. An Austrian friend told me recently, with absolute sincerity, ‘Dogs are no good, they gas them as well!'........She is of course, a complete nutter!

Check you messages for restaurant recommendations and directions to places of interest.
Have to agree with Oly daze i have lived here for 5 years and not heard of anyone being gassed. Love it here and will not be going back to the Uk to live.

Have been to the Nueva Condomina commercial center for shopping and it is great, There is another shopping centre Called The Thader Centre which is in the same area and is near Ikea in my opinion the Nueva Condomina commercial center is so much better, Just one word when you go shopping if you take the credit card you will need photo ID.

Shops in Torrevieja close around 1.30pm for Siesta and re-open around 4-4.30pm til about 9pm.

Sure Oly Daze has given you a good list of Restaurants to go to.

Have a good Holiday. Let us know how you get on as think it is a shame that Torrevieja/La Mata doesn´t get more of a mention on here. :cheers
I have sent the directions to a number of restaurants Fudgey, (Indian Ocean, Meson Villa Salada, Banana Boat, Nan Kin, Frederico's, Magani's, Viloriens, Sand's Bistro), but I am sure that Michelle will appreciate some of your favourites too. You might also want to contribute some places of interest.

Here are a couple more of mine......

Don Mariano's.
From the Zu Palace roundabout, take the CV898 (Por la Costa) up past Frederico's and Magani's. Turn left after the Torre del Moro (and before the Hotel Masa). Continue down the hill. The restaurant is next to the Hotel Cabo Cervera.

Barlovento
Continue past Don Mariano's. Just after the last apartment block on your right (and before the beach) there is a small slip road that leads into the car park of Barlovento.

Patio Andaluz
N332 south past Torrevieja. Just before the Punta Prima (the first) roundabout. On the right is Patio Andaluz. Have the Iberian pork chop. Entertainment on Thursdays and Saturdays (I think!).

La Finca de Eduardo's
Past the Cabo Roig roundabout, south on the N332 (That's the one with the pyramid on it), turn right towards Campoamor Golf Course. La Finca is signposted to your right a few kilometres down.

If you need any more help, please post back.
WOW!!! thank you so so so much you two for all the invaluable info!! That's superb!!

And yes I agree, it's a pity that there aren't more Torrevieja / La Mata posts around here.

We've stayed in Cabo Roig a few times, and we loved it, we really got to know the area and surrounding areas. We really got a feel for Cabo roig, playa flamenca, punta prima, la zenia etc.. and we had fun trying out all the restaurants in the aforementioned places - not an easy task I assure you! lol

We found one restuarant in Villa Martin which we loved - Eduardos on the top floor. Absolutely excellent food! Pricey but worth it!

We've only briefly passed by La Mata - on the way to Guardamar, so staying there is going to be all new for us! I think the apartment complex is called; Torravista on Calle Grande - however searching online maps for this has brought up nothing so far. Apparently our apartment is across the road from where the market is held and across the road from "The Big House" Chinese restaurant so hopefully it won't be too hard to find - our flight isn't arriving til 10pm, so by the time we get our bags, get rental car sorted etc.. and make our way up to La Mata it'll be around 11pm.. actually, would any nice restaurant be open at this hour? We're figuring we'll probably end up in the chinese restaurant at that hour.

With regards to the "gassings" - wow, that's a relief!! Tbh, I found it hard to believe aswell, but when your friend insists that it happened to their overhead neighbour it's kinda hard to dismiss.. your above posts have really put our mind at eases now though, it all makes sense!

the worst thing that has happened us in Costa Blanca so far (and hopefully the last!) was when I had my wallet stolen in an ice-cream parlour on the prom in Torrevieja.

Just a word of caution to others; I had been to the market before that and was very wary about keeping my bag and wallet intact, I suppose I let my guard down when we were out of the market as when we went to an ice cream parlour I had my bag on the seat beside me. Went to check for my wallet as we were leaving to find it had gone walkies! Whilst we were in the parlour a Spanish man came over to us with a menu talking in Spanish, we tried explaining that we had little Spainish and didn't understand him etc.. I'm guessing he was a distraction whilst an accomplice took the wallet from my bag. Luckily he didn't take my bag - it had my passport in it!

But oh well, you learn from these things! I know now never to leave my bag on the ground/adjoining seat. Tucked under my arm from now on!

Re: shopping, wow that Nueva Condomina commercial center sounds great! We'll also have to check out The Thader Centre. We drove to Murcia on our first time to the Costa Blanca - however it was our first time also driving on the other side of the road, and well, the journey there was quite stressful between looking out for sign posts, maps, and getting used to the LHD, so my parents vowed never to go to Murcia again, but maybe I'll be able to convince them otherwise this time! ;)
Between Alicante and Murcia - which would be best for shopping? Nicer place to visit?

I'm going with my parents and I'm not sure what the weather will be like out there for the next two weeks, so I'm all for a shopping sprenzy! ;)
Oh before I forget! Where would you knowledgable folks recommend for a good paella? Either in La Mata, Torrevieja, playa flamenca, la zenia, cabo roig etc..?? Or any standout restaurants for you guys in any of these areas?

Oh god I'm making myself hungry now thinking about all the lovely restaurants!! lol

So asides from eating and shopping, anything else we should be on the lookout for? Are there any attractions/events on early April? And locations worth a visit? We're not really sun worshippers so we'd like to be out and about in the car going different places most days.

Thanks again Oly Daze and fudgey, you two have been so helpful, I really appreciate it, and I'm sure others will two once they come across this thread! If I happen to meet either of you over there I owe you a drink or two...! ;)
Speaking of which... where's good for cocktails and/or happy hour? ;) hehe
Big House is my wife's favourite restaurant, I find the food a bit too salty. If you drive past Torrevieja on the N332 you will eventually pass the Hospital San Jaime on your left, the next roundabout is Zu Palace (mentioned earlier) and a kilometre past this is the La Mata roundabout. Go over the roundabout and take the small slip road on the right (sign posted Torrelamata) and you will be at ‘Big House'. It is around the 62km mark on the N332.

Now I know exactly where you are staying I can give precise directions to the restaurants that I PM'd you about, and I will look out for your apartments and give you better directions if needed.

La Mata is quite different from the areas that you have mentioned; it is very Spanish.

Being Spanish, you will have little trouble finding a restaurant at 11pm as this is the time we normally eat anyway.

The Nueva Condomina is huge, about the size of Bluewater in the UK, so I am told. Elche is also good for shopping, especially for shoes.

La Finca de Eduardo's is owned by the same guy as Eduardo's in Villamartin. Good, authentic paellas are not easy to come by; they are usually ordered a day in advance in Spanish restaurants round here, but Barlovento or Don Mariano should be able to sort you out.

Happy Hour!!!!!
That's for the areas south of Torrevieja!
Every hour is happy here!

There are bound to be fiestas and other attractions when you visit. Give me the exact dates and I will try to post back nearer the time.
Oh Oly thank you so much!!

You're an absolute legend, you're so helpful, thank you so so much!! :D
Those directions to Big House are great, I'm sure we'll have no trouble finding the apartment now!

We're actually glad to hear that La Mata is more Spanish than the other places we've visited, that will defintely make for a nice change from all the British and Irish pubs!!

That's excellent to hear about the restaurants being opened so late, as I'm sure we'll be starving by the time we get there!! We're flying out Tuesday 1st April (fools day no less!) and we're there til the 15th. I'm really looking forward to it, and hopefully the weather will be nice too - It's horrible and wet and cold and raining here in Ireland atm!

We'll be sure to check out La Finca de Eduardo's if it's as good as Eduardo's in Villa Martin!

Wow, I just did a quick search on Bluewater in the UK as I'm not familiar with it - IT'S HUGE!! Wow, if The Nueva Condomina is like that I'll have a great time!! Although I may be very broke by the time I come home!

thanks again for all the info, you've just helped make this a lot more enjoyable trip for us! Thank you! :D
Sorry, just one more quick question!

Is it possible to get a bus/train to Murcia to The Nueva Condomina?

I don't think my parents are too keen on driving into Murcia again - they found it to busy and hard to get into - granted it was their first time and they didn't know the way around.

Is there any public transport we could use to get there, or any coach tours that go there?
Hi Oly Daze

Perhaps you could post the details on the forum for the benefit of other members?

Thanks

luci :wave
When you are here pick up the local freebie papers they will tell you whats happening and where while you are here. I used http://www.costablancalive.info/Coachtrips%20Page.htm when i went to The Nueva Condomina and Thader center as Oh didn´t want to drive, they also do day trips.

Enjoy your holiday.
The sun is shining today and is lovely and warm :tup :cheers
Sorry Luci, I wasn't being secretive!, but I thought that directions might be a bit boring for casual readers.

You are right. Here is a copy of the PM that I sent Michelle, which may have some useful info for others.

Hola Michelle!

I think the reason that you had trouble finding the exact address for your apartment is because you are looking for Calle Grande. Are you sure that it is not in Calle Mayor? Anyway, now you know where Big House is I am sure you will have no trouble.

La Mata is not at its most picturesque at the moment. There is a new apartment block being built next to Big House, and the main N332 is being widened at that section. Market day is Wednesday; it will be very busy in the morning to mid afternoon.

La Mata is very small, but there are enough bars within walking distance, a few where you can get breakfast, and a few more hidden ones on the beach (on the right from the town square). There is a supermarket near the town square too, but I think you might prefer one of the Mercadonas on the outskirts of Torrevieja. (From the La Mata roundabout head south, over the Zu Palace roundabout, keep to the right and take the slip road sign posted Torrevieja. Mercadona is a few kilometres on the right).

There is no public transport that will take you to the Nuevo Condomina. But here are directions that also may help with some of the restaurants I have mentioned. Don't worry!, you do not have to go into Murcia itself.

From La Mata turn right and head towards Guardamar. After 5 or so kilometres you will start going uphill on the N332, at the top of the hill is a large furniture store called Procomobel. Take the left turning after the store. This is the Montisinos road (even though the road is being widened here, and the sign may be missing, it is hard to miss). Carry on inland as far as you can. You will pass the Indian Ocean restaurant which is set back a little from the road near the Laguna Hotel sign. You will reach the roundabout for the Crevillent Road where you can either turn left or right. On this occasion go right (turning left will take you to the Meson Villa Salada), carry on past the Quesada roundabout (where the Banana Tree and steak restaurants are) and continue to the motorway roundabout. Head right on the roundabout towards Alicante. After some distance you will start seeing signs for Murcia. Follow the signs to exit the motorway. You will then be driving almost parallel to the motorway you have just left. Past a few roundabouts and you will go under the A-7 motorway. Once under it, take the left slip road to join traffic heading to Murcia (clearly signposted!). Continue along the motorway. When the signs indicate that you are about 15 kilometres from Murcia, keep in the right hand lane and look out for the Cabezo de Torres slip road. Take it and you will be driving parallel to the A-7, past the football stadium and into the shopping center.

Murcia are playing Valencia at home on the 6th. April. Football is a family affair here, with more kids and women at matches than men. I have never seen any trouble. If you can get tickets while you are at the stadium, I am sure that you will enjoy the atmosphere of a live game!

Elche is easy to get to. From La Mata, head north on the N332 towards Alicante. Go past Guardamar (where the Nan Kin restaurant is) and past the Rojales turnings (Vilorreans restaurant). Continue all the way to the Santa Pola exit before you take an Elche turning (there are others that you will pass, but ignore them). Under the N332 you turn left inland, past the Rio Safari zoo, it is about another 5 kilometres to Elche. There is plenty of shopping and many tourist offices that will give you maps for places of interest. Here is a link to more info, and the live webcam.

http://webcam.comunitatvalenciana.com/w ... _camara=27

If your flight is arriving at 10pm I think you are being optimistic about getting to La Mata by 11. My advice would be to get something to eat on the drive from the airport in one of the small towns on route.

The weather here is pleasant at the moment; hopefully it will be warmer in the weeks you are here. Mid seventies are the norm. It will be cooler in the evenings, certainly not warm enough to eat outside yet.

And don't even think about cocktails in this part of Spain!!!! The only one that the local bars seem to know is a Cuba Libre (my brother-in-law sometimes orders one when he visits), and they even manage to get that wrong most of the time!
Just a quick note guys as it's 4am here, and I'm up early in the morning to catch our flight, so bed calls!

I just wanted to say a massive THANK YOU to all for all the informative replies, it's been a massive help!

I can't wait to get out to La Mata now and explore!

Thanks again for everything, i'll check back again once I get the chance! :)
don't think they have,would have been great for a follow up post on how your holiday went,recommendations etc

i have a apartment in la zenia and am over regular and have been up and around la mata/guardamar lots and they are 2 totally different holidays really

hope you had fun and enjoyed yourself
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.