Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
I thought that the Gatwick Express ran through the night though less frequently than during the day - it's just that they begin the 'every 15 mins' service at 5.30am? Also, while it takes little longer because it's a stopping services, Southern trains also run throughout the night from Victoria to Gatwick too. From memory they run every hour, on the hour. So the 2.00am train from Victoria would get you into Gatwick at around 2.45am ready for check-in opening at 3.00am.

SM
Thanks SMa,

I have checked with Gatwick express and they run until 1.30 in the morning. However, you were right, Southern trains are throughout the night. I didn't know that.

So maybe I will get a few hours sleep before hand.
Hi,
If you look like a tourist, ie not Tunisian, then you won't find many bargains in the medina, they'll be waiting for you, lol.
Don't buy the desinger/branded goods, firstly they won't be cheap and secondly they will almost certainly be fake.
In December 2006 I was talking to one of the stall owners on the edge of the medina, he was selling sports clothing, he was very keen to tell me that he would never sell his stock to a European buyer for the same price as he would sell to a Tunisian. He strongly argued that he thought all Europeans just wanted to by things cheaper in Tunisia than at home and that he, and other retailers would not allow that.
It has to be said that he was quite extreme in his views and not all of them are like that, stand your ground, you'll be surprised how cheap some will go if they really want your money, 45TD down to 10TD is not uncommon.
It sounds like I don't like the place, well I do, I love Tunisia, but the truth is that in the tourist resorts the Tunisians have the opportunity to make money, in the smaller towns things are very different.
Enjoy, and you should have some nice weather too.
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, I could not pass for Tunisian, so no bargains for me lol. Fingers crossed for good weather in November.
Of course we all know the 'designer' goods are fakes, but the 'Rolex' watch I bought in PEK some years ago for the princely sum of 15 dinars (about £7) lasted me for over 5 years and the Patek Philipe one I'm wearing now, for about the same price, ain't bad either. I always stock up on sunglasses as well. I don't actually care which designer name is on them and they have proved much more comfortable and just a good as the ones offered in various newspapers over here which reputedly sell for £100+. Another thing I stock up on are pashminas, beautifully soft and lovely colours. The pottery is lovely, but bear in mind that it weighs heavy and the airlines are tightening up on excess baggage. I am pleased to say I have never succumbed to buying a stuffed camel. :rofl
I realise I may get my wrist slapped for buying fakes but I'm quite happy to hold my hand up and admit it. The locals have to make a living and a girl's got to shop. :que
LMAO :rofl
Yeah, I guess that is a female take on the subject.
I agree completely with aslemma, if you are ok with fakes then they can be a good buy.
Unfortunately, the first time that I went to Tunisia in 2004 I actually needed a new watch and thought, like many others, that Tunisia was the place to buy one. We got the 5 star treatment in a shop in the medina, sat round a small table, offered drinks, etc. I paid about £45, I think it was, for a watch that lasted less than two years. Yeah, we got all the stories about his family in Manchester, Liverpool, etc, then we were even asked to pay for the drinks.
In my reply I was specifically refering to clothing, the prices they were selling for were similar to UK but for fakes, I guess watches are better prices.
If, like aslemma, you are very familier with the Tunisian "way" ie the haggling, and more importantly the "I've done this many times before" confidence, then you'll get a bargain, if not then you will get ripped off, lol.
Kevin
Fakes don't appeal to me, so that is not a problem. I love the pottery,rugs and pashmina's. I am interested in traditional Tunisian stuff.

That does not include stuffed camels :really

Must remember to get the Aslemma confidence vibe going on in November. It looks like it is going to be one hell of an experience in the Medina.
The leather pouffes are also nice and you don't need to get one with a camel on it. They are sold unstuffed so not to difficult to carry home. I stuff them with old pillows, jumper etc., in fact one of mine is stuffed with jumpers the children wore over 30 years ago. :rofl Have a look in the Soula Centre (fixed price shop, so no haggling) which will give you an idea of price and you can then see what you can get one for in the Medina. Incidentally, there is a post office and cash machine in the Soula Centre and toilets are on the top floor straight through the carpet department and on the left.
Thanks Aslemma. I can remember reading somewhere, not sure on which forum that sometimes you can get stuff cheaper in the Soula centre than the Medina. Has that been your experience at all?

I love leather pouffes. :cheers
You may indeed get it cheaper in the Soula Centra but it's not as much fun, and it also depends on your haggling skills in the Medina. :rofl
Hi souad,

We walked into the airport to go there and were slapped on the face with an immediate 8 hour delay which went on much longer! But they gave out seven quid meal vounchers! :yikes

Regular travellers to Tunisia said that this always happens on TC flights to Tunisia from Glasgow. Other airports might be different of course.

Outward delays don't seem too bad - I got to watch the football ;) I am glad to say the return flight was bang on time though.

Cheers,
Dave
Disco Dave,
OMG an eight hour delay. That is not funny. Not a good start to the holiday, and I am assuming you had to be at the airport at 3am. That would tick me off big time.

I take it noone notified you of the delay before you left home. :yikes

So maybe it is a good idea for me to call and check, before I leave home, but it sounds like TC airlines are not good at answering their phones.
I have to use TC if I want to fly from Stansted, my nearest airport, and I have never had a delay of more than half an hour so perhaps I've been lucky.

Dave - as you probably know the Tunisians are football mad. Some years ago I rented an appartment near the Medina at Sousse and as I walked through the streets all the lads were calling out "David Beckham" :rofl In May I was there when there was a big match (I believe with the Saudis who lost). The opposing team were staying at my hotel. Cars were driving through the streets with people hanging out the windows and roof waving flags and people with painted faces were dancing in the streets. There were rumours that fights were expected later but it all passed off peasefully.
we have just returned from tunisia and were accousted by passport control for money to fill in immigration forms Thomas cook rep did not tell us about this and if fact they wern't very helpful at all. they will not change your money back if you have coins under 5 dinar and charge a high commission rate to change what you do have. So make sure you fill in your immigration forms and dont' have any dinar left when you go to the airport you won't need them and will have them taken off you by the passport control! this happened to a lot of people on our flight.
Thanks Llwynafon. I will remember to have spent all my money before I get to the airport.
I am absolutely shocked at you being charged for filling in the immigration form. These should actually be given out on the plane so you can do it before you land. Sometimes it gets forgotten, in which case there are plenty of them available in immigration which you can fill in there and then but there is never a charge for this. Regarding left over dinars, it is never a good idea to change it at the airport unless absolutely necessary as you always get a bad rate. You will often find the bell boys and waiters at the hotel very keen to take spare dinars in exchange for pound coins which they have been given in tips. You can also use dinars at the coffee shop airside at both Monastir and Tunis, as several of us regulars have pointed out previously. Incidentally I have never had dinars confiscated at the airport.
I think you will find there is no charge for filling out the immigration forms and that the men who asked for money were just chancing thier luck. As aslemma has already mentioned there are plenty of these forms lying around for anyone to take if they havent already been given them in the plane or have mislaid the second part for returning home.
A few years ago my brother was asked by immigration if he had any tunisian money left he said yeah and showed them a handful of the wee gold coins (can never remember the correct name millisomethings) and the man just turned up his nose at them and said any euros? and my brother stupidly enough handed over a couple of euros. Anytime I have been asked if I have any Tunsian money or sterling I always say NO regardless of what i have in my purse as the dinars are handy for using in the coffee shops in the airport or for my next tunisian holiday and i would most certainly not be giving them any of my hard earned sterling/euros unless i felt they had done something to deserve a tip.

Leanna x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.