Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
post subject
1042 Posts
I've just booked with TC and paid the extra £15 for 5kgs extra. :? I did this on the internet. Does anyone know whether the full 20kgs allowance is now an optional extra if you book on the internet or is something that TC are doing with all holidays, whether you book by phone or on the internet?

I booked an earlier holiday (October 06) with TC for January this year (which we had to cancel unfortunately :cry: ) and even though that was classed as a late booking we still got the full 20kg luggage allowance.

Would be interesting to find out if other tour operators are going this way too - I guess it's one way of getting us to pay a bit more yet again! :evil:

Gill
I booked a holiday recently with TC and I was charged for the extra luggage too.

It wasn't a very late deal.

Kath x
We booked our holiday last September for August 07 (package deal), they never asked me if i would like to pay extra to get 20kg, does this mean i will automatically get the 20kg?
I have just priced a holiday on Thomas Cooks website and they are charging an extra £20 for 20kgms of luggage.However they are using Sun Express air lines who automatically give 20 kgs and free meals and non alcholic drinks.This is for the Newcastle to Antalya flight.
Hi Jay ... Thomas Cook list various free baggage allowances ranging from 15kgs to 30kgs, depending on holiday or flight. Is the charge which you are referring to for baggage in excess of the free allowance ?

If you book a holiday where the free entitlement is only 15kgs, it seems that you are still allowed 20kgs and a surcharge is automatically applied at the time of booking for that additional 5kgs. However, if you do not require that extra 5kgs, the surcharge can be removed during the booking process, leaving you just with your 15kgs free allowance.

More info HERE.

(I will merge this with a similar discussion which is already running in the Thomas Cook thread).

David :wave
Yes David the £20 is for the extra 5kgs but Sun Express allow 20kgs anyhow.They are also charging £26 for free meals.So for 2 people thats an extra £92 which they shouldnt be charging.I think I will ring them or call into a Branch tomorrow to see if these are options that can be removed.
Other companies also seem to charge for meals which are actually free. :roll: Unless it's a particularly long flight I rarely bother to pay for meals but either take a snack or get something at the airport so if a free meal is provided it's a bonus.
Hi has anyone any info who exactly is taking Thomas Cook over, Airtours orm Firstchoice, as we are going with Thomas Cook in August, i think that who ever takes them over they will merge the flights where their are the least passangers, we fly from East Midalnds with Thomas Cook airlines and i know their are plenty of seats left for our flight. :hmmm
see the descusion in the flights forum it now appears to be TC and FC
Thomas Cook have merged with MyTravel and Thomson are hoping to merge with First Choice.

Kath HT Admin
Hi, I think MY will probably use TC airlines as they are more up to date than mytravel, but we are going to the Dom Rep next easter, but i cannot see Thompson using FC as they have just updated their airlines. :?:
Right i am now very confused so could some one please help me :?

Ok booked our holiday last September for August 07 and then the new regulations came into force on the 1st Feb about having to pay more APD even if you had already booked you still had to pay the extra which in my case was £5 pp. So anyways at the time i rang Thomas Cook and she said i was to pay it at the airport which was fine. Now i worry and like to know exactly what is going on so i was just re-checking everything and now Thomas Cook have said that i dont have to pay the extra as we booked before it came into force!!! Have i missed something on the news to say the it had now changed as i still thought that anyone travelling after the 1st Feb had to pay it!!

Anyone any ideas?
Hi All, To anyone going with Thomascook or My travel it was confirmed on Wednesday by the TA that they have merged and their will be flight changes, when, where they cannot tell me, but the TA said if they have two flights going to the same destination on the same day they will probably cancel one of the flights due to they airlines merging, we are going from a small airport and their are six flights going out from the midlands that day so im going to keep on eye out on the airport timetable, my neighbour has had her flight cancelled and yet tompsons have not yet told her, we looked on the flight timetable at birmingham airport and the flight is not available anymore. :hmmm
Ooooo

Im Going To Fuerteventura With MYT

MYT195!

And There Is A TCX Flying Out Earlier That Day Too =D

I Hope We Do Get MYT As I Have Flown TCX Many Times Since 2004 =D
The EU have approved the merger of Thomas Cook and MyTravel.
The deal is expected to be completed by June 2007.
Well if this merger goes ahead we can expect Thomas Cook prices. There is the charge for excess baggage. and for flights to the Canaries and Cyprus they now call these shorthaul plus so they can justify charging £50 per person for extra legroom. I think thats the dearest charge of all, so watch this space!!
More flexible packages introduced by Thomas Cook

Thomas Cook's mainstream brands are to offer more flexible package holiday durations next summer.

New edition 2008 brochures for Thomas Cook, Sunset and JMC will feature three, four, 10 and 11-night stays in selected destinations in addition to the traditional seven or 14-night package.

The operator's latest brochures for next year go on sale on July 26 and include the launch of a dedicated Thomas Cook Signature Florida and Disney programme and a combine Thomas Cook Signature USA & Canada edition.

New editions of Thomas Cook Turkey, Portugal and Madeira, Greece and Cyprus, Holiday Resorts and Escape also go on sale next Thursday.

Prices start at £149 per person with Sunset in for seven nights self-catering in Crete with Sunset between September 25 and October 8, 2008.

With permission from Travelmole
I have booked a holiday to Turkey with TC, and have been given a luggage allowance of 15kg each for my wife and myself, but someone has told me that we can no longer combine the allowance for one large suitcase, so can anyone confirm this, or can we split it into say 20kg in our large case and then 10kg in a holdall bag, or do we have to buy two new cases and load 15kg in each?

Thanks for any help
Kaycee
i think you will find its 15 kg in a bag [or 20 if you have paid the extra]{{ this is one of the first TO's to introduce a 15kg allowance...so we wont use them again}} in any case the EU health and safety calls for a max 23kg per bag, [we use to just have one case] so be vary aware they did not charge on our way out but stuffed us £6.00 kg excess on the way back

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.