General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Mainland Spain and the Balearic islands are 1 hour ahead of us !

Forgot to mention unless you are going to the canary islands then they are the same as us !
Yes, I thought that was the case. It's just that I've got 2 books that say that Spain is one hour ahead in winter and two in the summer. Has that ever been the case or have both of the books got it wrong? :?:
Pehaps it has something to do with our Daylight Savings Time?

Mark :D
Well I've got a third book that says

'Barcelona is one hour ahead of the UK. This applies except for brief periods during the changeovers to and from daylight saving time in Spain (the clocks go forward in the last week in March, back again in the last week of October).'

I think it might be that they change their clocks at a slightly different date to us and until both sets of clocks have been changed there would be a 2 hour difference. Extremely confusing though!
Clocks change at precisely the same time and date, so Spain (excl Canaries) is always 1 hour ahead of the UK.

The confusion often occurs because many guides and websites correctly show that Spain is GMT+1 during the winter months and GMT+2 during the summer months. Some people wrongly assume that to mean a 1 hour time difference in the winter and 2 hours difference in summer. But they are perhaps forgetting that the UK is on GMT during winter and GMT+1 during the summer, meaning that there is always just that 1 hour time difference.

David :wave
Nice explanation David. Gold star for you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.