Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Can you provide a link to that news ?
got it via a letter/brochure today emdia 43.
just seen it on fred olsen cruises site ..look under gratuities on the a to z about cruising
? I just looked at the site and it is showing that gratuities are at your own discretion, but 2GBP will be added to your account daily, which can be altered if you wish.... :que
where does it say a mandatory 4GBP fee added? Link please....
hi again emdia 43 ..thats what it says on my letter ..
Oh OK, I am in the US so maybe the site is different here? If you see it documented online anywhere point us in that direction. Thanks
The Fred Olsen site is still saying it is discretionary.

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/About-Cruising/A-Z-Holiday-Cruise-Guide/G

£4 a day is the cheapest gratuities I've come across as it works out at $6/day. NCL are double that at $12/day per person.

luci :wave
hi luci i have also reread the notes on fred olsen sites ..but the letter appears to make tipping compulsory..regards.j.d..
My friend is going on a Fred Olsen cruise in 2 weeks and she has decided she will tip at the end of the cruise but it looks as if they wont have a choice. :que
i will still ccruise with fred olsen ..because i enjoy their ships and the entertainment they offer..
but £8 per day per couple thats not chickenfeed is it.. :( :que
I have been considering Fred Olson as not been with them, but I don't like the idea of being told how much and when I have to tip, I always tip, but to those that have made my cruise my enjoyable, don't like the idea of being told I have to tip
The problem with that is there are a lot of people behind the scenes that have worked to make your cruise enjoyable, not just the people who have customer contact.
Fairpoint you have made - but when you go to a restaurant do you tip the young lad or lass that are washing the dishes or tip the waitress/waiter, or in a hotel do you tip the barman, room maid only or do you go out of your way to find the perople that empty the bins or peel the veg in the kitchen, you see my point - I see your point but I still prefer to give a tip to who I chose to and by how much and not made compulsory.
That is not how it works on cruise ships though. The hotel staff ( cabin steward, waiter,asst waiter) are all paid by passenger gratuities.
Those gratuities should be left in place unless you are not satisfied with the service, in which case a trip to Guest Services should be made to explain your dissatisfaction,so the Hotel Director is aware and is given a chance to remedy the complaint.
When passengers remove gratuities it counts adversely in the Staff's performance reviews, which impacts their being able to sign on for another tour of duty.
When people say they want to choose who/how much to tip it always means they want to pay less.

That's why F Olsen and others will be making in mandatory.
  • Edited by emdia43 2010-11-20 23:07:47
emdia43 wrote:
That is not how it works on cruise ships though. The hotel staff ( cabin steward, waiter,asst waiter) are all paid by passenger gratuities.
Those gratuities should be left in place unless you are not satisfied with the service, in which case a trip to Guest Services should be made to explain your dissatisfaction,so the Hotel Director is aware and is given a chance to remedy the complaint.
When passengers remove gratuities it counts adversely in the Staff's performance reviews, which impacts their being able to sign on for another tour of duty.
When people say they want to choose who/how much to tip it always means they want to pay less.

Sorry but no it doesn't not for me - it means I will tip people that I want to and by how much - nothing more nothing less
Well I think we need to point this out to trading standards,

AFAIK Uk holiday companies/contracts are not allowed to do this.

The prices must reflect what you are required to pay and not have compulsory extras.

THats why flight quotes now HAVE to have the taxes included.
hi windjammer ..please excuse me. but could you explain your comments a little bit more clearly .
regards as always ..j.d.
There were rling that travel companies could not have hiden surpluses so advertizing had to quote actual real prices.

I think cruises need to comply so the prices have to make all charges clear up front in the adverts and brochures.

Tips if made compulsory would fall into this catagoty of extra charges so they would have to be included in the prices much like the cruise taxes are in the UK but not the US.

Now if FO don't include these tips in the pricing all TA's would have to sort that out for there adverts to AIUI be complient with the Law.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.