Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Toilet
12 Posts
Yup, paper goes in the bin next to the toilet
It really depends on the age of the property you are staying in, or at least the age of the plumbing!

Whilst mostly you will find bins in use, you do sometimes find places, with modern plumbing where this is not neccesary.
Been going to Greece since 1989 travelled a lot of Island including Cyprus and everywhere toilet paper is put in a bin most places where we have stayed this bin has been empied daily so it is not a problem unless you are there in the height of the season and the bin is not emptied daily but I believe that putting paper down the toilet can cause a lot of problems.
pojo
My understanding is that its not just the internal plumbing that is too narrow for loo roll but the sewage network can't always cope with it either.
Putting paper down the loo could cause blockages

Newer top class hotels may have mascerators or similar to deal with it before it enters the system.

The only problem I have ever had with it is remembering to do it!

There is a tip on another thread to take scented nappy sacks with you to put your paper in.

They are 50p in boots and take up a tiny amount of space.
I think Zebedee is right about the general sewage pipes. I know some people find the idea off putting but it realy isn't an issue - my problem is remembering not to use the bin when I get home :oops:

I like the idea of the nappy sacks - we often just line the bin with a supermarket carrier bag, then it's easy to dispose of on the odd occasion that the cleaners have missed emptying it.
I am also aware (From 18-30 holiday experience!) that the hotel gets fined or has to pay for the sewerage pipes to be rodded if they get blocked!
there are many places on this earth that suffer from old or inadiquet main drains and so use the fly bin disposal for paper
Will the "bin" thing still be in place in a new built hotel? ie: Kefalonia/Kos Aqua Beach Club?????
zebedee wrote:
My understanding is that its not just the internal plumbing that is too narrow for loo roll but the sewage network can't always cope with it either.
Putting paper down the loo could cause blockages

And if I remember rightly, thats all our fault in the first place, because most of the sewage systems were (I think) either supplied or installed by the british. :roll:
Will the "bin" thing still be in place in a new built hotel? ie: Kefalonia/Kos Aqua Beach Club?????

I think this depends as much on the age of the resort as the age of the hotel.

In a new purpose built resort they may have upgraded the sewage system to cope with radically increased flows in peak season...but then again they may not.

Really its not a problem. The bins don't smell that bad and get emptied daily. It's not unhygenic
Take fragrant nappy sacks with you, we always do this, and yes you do look for the bid when you get home still
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.