Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi

Sonesta beach resort is A1 and is 15-20 mins walk into NB along a promenade, you also have the Hilton , Marriott and the Jolieville which is virtually on the corner of NB, The JV offers BB, HB and A1. Expect to pay around £750 November prices in the SBR thou, around another £150 extra if going in the summer. Some hotels you can upgrade to A1 when you get in resort.

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort Queen :sun2
Thanks Michelle,

Did you get those from a brochure ?

When I look on the internet I can only get the SBR on AI in Naama Bay all the rest including those you mention only offer B&B or HB ?

I know your a big fan of the SBR but I'm a little concerned by some of the reviews on here and on Tripadvisor, it's like everything I suppose you can't please all of the people all of the time :que

Just spoke to a friend who always stays at the Hilton F in NB on HB and he recommends it as there are so many places to eat in NB, just a little worried about the hassle factor though ?
Hiya

Sometimes when you get into resort you can upgrade to HB or A1. The Jolieville is BB and HB, so if you went HB you could always eat out once a day if you wish, that way it possibly pleases both of you.

The hotels well the ones i mentioned were mostly bb and hb as was the SBR where i go, but A1 maybe not now, they change from year to year. Most of the A1 hotels are out of reach of NB, so a cab or bus is needed. Whichever hotel you go for, i advise to check how many miles it is away from NB.

I go to my usual hotel because i am quite choosy. I like to feel as if i am in egypt so go for the colonial type buildings, as opposed to the normal chain hotels. I wanted on the beach, but a beach where i am on it......not...... a 10 mins walk and have to jump from a jetty. Some of the beaches are huge and spread out, so if you want to mingle, it could be difficult. SBR i grant you is a small beach, but they have now built sections up in the rocks to lounge around up there with spectacular views of the bay. You wont get that anywhere else a long the promenade. Staff are very friendly and they remember me, so i dont get the hassle. Very good diving and coral. I also choose it because of the A1 option and if you fancy something else to eat and want to buy it, we have several restaurants for this also. The price is cheap compared to some.

I would only travel with thomson to SBR or portland, Kioui put travellers in the smaller rooms, although depending, can offer upgrades.

I think you can change the option of HB from evening dinner to mid day, if you want to eat in NB or elsewhere in the night.
Novotel hotel is bb and you can upgrade to HB at a reasonable amount, near to my hotel and centre of NB
http://www.longwoodholidays.co.uk/sharm/hotels/corali.htm

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Perfect info Michelle....thanks.

You might have just solved our problem, book B&B upgrade to HB......can you do this day to day or does the whole stay have to be HB when upgrading ?

A frind who's been half a dozen times recommended the Hilton Faryouz (sp) The Novotel or the Jolie as he's stayed in them all on HB, so great minds and all that :tup

I might take a look at the SBR pricing wise.....can you comfortably walk to NB centre ?
Hi, Yes you can comfortably walk into NB from SBR, it is reasonably cheap compared to other hotels.
The problem we found with the hilton and JV was their bb price and hb price were more that SBR :yikes So that is how we got there in the first place. There is another hotel, maybe someone reading this will remind me wot its called, it is where Zaki sings all year round, now that hotel a while back got took off some TO's listings but maybe back on. It seems a good hotel and we ate there a lot on the beach.

I think (altho not 100%) that you can upgrade in resort when you want to eat, from a travel agency i wouldnt imagine you could. The other thing to remember is, the prices for an upgrade could be cheaper or dearer, so when you have decided to book, email the hotel and see what they say.

Whichever Hilton you look at, make sure you find out if it is a mountain view or beach, sometimes like with the Marriott, jolieville and hilton you could be across the peace road and have to come into a hotel through the back way. thus an extra 5-10 mins walk to the beach, and further into NB.

Some hotels say they are in NB but still require a transfer, so look at a map to tell you if it is within walking distance.

SBR is a 20 mins walk passing the hilton, marriott, gaffy, also have a look at the Sofitel, they use the SBR beach and share. Jolieville is right at the end of NB so ouside the hotel you are in the centre. The Kalamara hotel(sp?) that Briarskeg the moderator has been to is a 3 star, also in NB, not sure what food is on offer though.

Remember prices for a bottle of water from a supermarket is about 50p, if bought on the beach it will be around £1. Coke, spite is about £1.20.

What time of year are you wanting to go?
Have you seen the latest sbr on TA? They were excellent.

Michelle x
TA ?

Thanks again for all this great info Michelle.

I'm determined to book this weekend.

We're looking to go anytime from the 13th of March onwards for a week, but we have to go from Newcastle which restricts us I believe to Thomas Cook flights on a Sunday, we might do Manchester or Leeds Bradford at a push which opens up Jet2.

Thanks again

...........GOT IT Tripadvisor ;)
I have stayed at both the Novotel and Jolie Villes hotels on the promenade in Naama Bay on a B&B basis. Food and drink is expensive in both (it will be even more expensive now that the pound has fallen) but you are in a great position to take advantage of all the restaurants along the prom and in Naama Bay itself. If you are wishing to upgrade to half board it is cheaper to do it here as Michelle suggests - for example a buffet evening meal at the Novotel last March(as would be available on half board) was 200 Egyptian pounds exclusive of drinks but if you have paid for half board you are less likely to explore other options so its a bit swings and roundabouts! They are both good hotels although the Jolie Ville did not live up to the reviews I had read. I would happily stay there again but would have different expectations.

PS - I think the other hotel Michelle is referring to with the singer is Ghazala Beach - this hotel is available with Globespan flying out of Glasgow or from May with Redseaholidays.co.uk out of Gatwick or Manchester. The company also offers Ghazala Gardens AI on the mountain side of the road.
Thanks Caro, yes it was the Ghazala, we had many a nice meal there on the beach listening to Zaki.

Eating out now is expensive, and i enjoyed our food at sbr last Nov, although last June it wasnt as good, but to be fair it was knew. At least you do not have to worry about food. I put on a stone eating 3 meals a day, oh and those cocktails :D

Michelle x
Yes prices have gone up quite a lot in Egyptian pounds in the last few years and thats compounded by the poor exchange rate. Some local restaurants are still reasonable - had a fabulous paella (complete with crab on top) in Danameer for only about 45 EP. If I remember rightly though in Novotel and Jolie Ville cans of coke are either 20 or 25 EP and Saakara about 40 EP! Quite a lot I thought!
Well..............He got his own way :duh

But I'm happy enough, we're now booked for the Hilton at Sharks Bay on AI, got a great deal travelling from regional airport for under £530 inc transfers, all taxes etc. :tup

Thanks for all your suggestions & tips. I plan to take a walk round all the hotels mentioned during our week, I hope I like Sharm as I'll then be better informed and have my bearing for next time.......I guess it would be a good idea to have this hol 1st :rofl

Thanks again :thanks ......I'm sure I'll have more Qs about Sharks Bay
Hi, Miss-Chief, thats a good choice for all-inclusive. I stayed at there in 2004 - it is a very attractive hotel and the house reef is by far the best I've come across yet for snorkelling! Its like swimming in an aquarium!

Have a fabulous time, Regards, Caro
If you haven't seen it already the Hilton World resorts website has plenty of information and pictures of the hotel just to get you in the holiday mood!

http://www.hiltonworldresorts.com/search/index.html#SharksBay+index+index++SharksBay
Thanks Caro......I did look at that, I actually priced booking direct vs a package (haven't done a package for about 10 years :yikes always do DIY) But the £530 couldn't be beaten inc the flights.

It looks lovely and LynWestie has tipped me off to speak to Meerkat as she's stayed here recently since the new part of the Hiltons been built.

I'm all excited now, I hope I like Sharm as I've always gone to Lanzarote during March/April for the last 6 years for my first taste of the sun for the year but was getting bored with it and the weather can go from the sublime to the ridiculous ! I take it the weather temp willbe decent at the end of March in Sharm :que
We are always there around easter pauline . last year easter was early (21st march) and we have always found temps to be late twenties/early thirties , with sunshine every day . They dont really get rain in Egypt although sometimes some cloud in the afternoon or the odd windy day . Ive probably already mentioned this but its an early to bed /early rise place and the sun is up and strong very early in the morning . You will loose the sun around 4.30-5pm at HSB.

lyn
Oh great Lyn.......I'll get some peace from my brother as he's a late riser, the complete opposite to me. So I can get myself up at 7 have brekkie and then get out for 8 at the latest for some :sun whilst he's still knocking out the Zzzz's :rofl
Great choice Miss_Chief!! Feel free to ask anything about HSB and I will do my best to answer. I was there in November and am going back in June his year.
We came back from HSB on October 2008, a great hotel with plenty to do. A short stroll and there are some bars/shops etc. The HSB extension looks fantastic and while we were there it had just opened to guests. I cannot find it in the brochure to upgrade but if you email the hotel they will give you a price. It's not that much (around £70) for the week to upgrade, the rooms/pool/restaurants are obviously a lot bigger than the old part, however the old part has the advantage of being near the reef. Any questions just ask. :) :) .

We've booked again for October 2009, trying another hotel this time Oriental Resort (looks nice), if anyone has any advice/opinion on this hotel it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Miss chief

I am so pleased you have both chosen your hotel and managed to sort out the A1 v eating out. it is a very difficult situation, i know to well. The thought of being 'chained' to a hotel to eat when they say sounds like prison :tongue but hasten to add that i quite enjoyed it though and find it more relaxing. You can still eat out in resort and hopefully you still will, but your mind will be at rest knowing all food and drink is paid for.

How far is HSB from Naama Bay? Do they do shuttles?

Have a great holiday :tup

Michelle x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.