Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
TransAmerica
6 Posts
Transamerica airlines certainly graced Prestwick in the "golden years" with DC8 aircraft on a fairly regular basis. They also used the DC10 (widebody) for a period of time out of the Ayrshire airport but not as often as the DC8.

Nivsy
nivsy,

I can't add anything more than nivsy has. You might find these photos jog your memory in identifying what you might have travelled on. If you refuelled, I'd put my money on the DC10 as the DC-8 probably had the legs to make it non-stop.

Darren
Thanks to both Darren and Nivsy for their help. I'm pretty sure, as both stops were weather influenced, that it was the DC8. Nice to see the photos Darren, the last time I flew on a TriStar was going to Goa a long time ago with British Caladonian. Are there any TriStars still flying somewhere in the world?
Alan
gramps,

There aren't many Tristars (L1011's) still flying, but we see the odd one. The RAF still use them to fly troops around and Luzair is often seen in the UK chartered by airlines with an aircraft with technical problems, using one (CS-TMP).

Darren
Thanks again Darren, interesting to hear there are one or two of the old girls still flying
Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.