Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Travel agents
5 Posts
Hi nise, As you have already booked I suggest you read the small print pages (and pages) at the back of your brochure. It will probably say something like `We will endevour to grant special requests but cannot guarantee this` Try to get an email to the apartments and explain your problem or write to them direct. I`m sure they will be happy to help. I travelled with Thomsons last year to mexico and requested a ground floor room but I also emailed the hotel and I was given a great room adapted for wheelchairs. Mainstream travel agents are not geared up for disabled travellers but some are better than others. You usually have to do a lot of homework yourself. For instance getting from the airport to the hotel or apartment in my case involves arranging a taxi because it is too difficult to get on the buses provided so I have to add the cost on to the holiday and some resorts are just too far from the airport. I hope it all works out for you
All of the major tour operators have a special needs phone number, some are better than others but they should find out at least the basics for you. ie: any steps in the hotel, what areas are accessible etc. They should also be able to book you a ground floor room but get everything in writing, there is little can be done when you get there if its not.
Don't rely too much on elevator access in hotels, they often go wrong leaving you stranded.
The art to getting it right (and I don't always :roll: ) is research, read reviews everywhere, use forums to ask questions, trip advisor can be good as well as HT and search out peoples holiday photos on photo websites, you can often spot problem areas on those so you know what to check out.
Another option is to book a self catering adapted apartment, some can be found at the top of this section of the forum.
jax thank you so much for your advice.
as i said i didnt know anything like holiday truths existed i just stumbled across it if only i had known i have taken your advice and fingers crossed things will work out

nise
hi silverpixie

thank you for your advice. i have rang the travel agents and asked for thm to put in writing that i am getting a groung floor apartment they said they will do this before i pay the remainder off my holiday thank you once again that has at least given me a little peace of mind

nise
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.