General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
we have taken a little travel steam iron with us. but to be honest i have only used it once or twice. any badly creased items ive ran a hot shower hung my garments up and closed the bath room door for ten minutes "simples" :tup
been carrying a small travel iron and a kettle for the past 8 yrs.. kettle is used most days, the iron probably only used four or five times to get the creases out of my jacket

wizard
i have a small travel iron, never actually used it but i know if i dont take it i will need it ;)
small travel iron and it usually does the trick :)
I used to take an iron but don't bother now. If the accommodation doesn't supply one I just hang my clothes up as soon as I get there and they're usually fine :tup (maybe I'm just a scruffy/lazy so and so :lol: )
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
I used to take an iron but don't bother now. If the accommodation doesn't supply one I just hang my clothes up as soon as I get there and they're usually fine :tup (maybe I'm just a scruffy/lazy so and so :lol: )

I must be the same scruffy/lazy so and so as you then :) I purchased and took a travel iron away with me the first couple of times I ventured on my holidays. It never got used on either of those occasions so ive not bothered taking it since.

I get around the not ironing by packing any ironed clothes that will crease at the very last minute (usually as im leaving the front door and in between checking passport, tickets & money ;) ) and hang those things as soon as we get there. Ive never had any need to iron........yet.

Sarah :)
If it creases it doesnt go on holiday. :rofl
thank you all for your replies, it's just that i have bought a cream silky/cotton top and i have discovered it creases like mad even the wee frill sleeve, trouble is i love it.xxphxx :duh
I'm with the non ironers. More creasable stuff goes in the suitcase last. Nothing at all gets packed until the night before (morning flight) or the morning of departure (afternoon/evening flight). Always pack things by rolling them up like a sausage.

If the space in bathroom and facilities allows for it, if a thin top is creased it can be hung in there whilst showering and the steam should get rid of crinkles. Alternatively if you have a beauty product in a pump bottle keep it when it runs out, wash thorough then take with you to use as a water mister - if you mist a creased top whilst smoothing it down (on a hanger) it does the trick. Learnt that from two girls backpacking in Greece some years ago.

Alternatively if there is a laundry service you could have just ironing done or in a smaller hotel ask if you can borrow their iron - chances are someone will be sent along to do it for you (well they would in Turkey anyway!).
I dont bring an iron - like the others I pack the night before or if Im leaving during the day then an hour before - just have my stuff hanging up - I do find that the things more likely to crease are better being rolled loosely into a sort of tube shape and put on top - they dont seem to crease so easily then.

Anything creased when I arrive gets hung up and the heat usually does the job and they fall out!

And if they dont Im on me holidays so I wear em anyway!
And of course linen is supposed to look a bit dishevelled so crop trousers in that are just ideal.
Hi
I stopped taking a travel iron a few years ago. I just hung any creased clothing in the bathroom and the steam from the shower seemed to do the trick. But this year some of my clothes are linen, so have bought a steam travel iron. I know linen has the crumpled look, but sometimes there is crumpled and then there is really crumpled, so playing it safe this year ;)
M
not sure if i would be brave enough to not take anything, i do like the spray/mist idea so many thanks to you all. xphx
Its bad enough doing the ironing at home, :( certainly don't want to do it on holiday!! So no, I don't use one at all!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.