Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I haven't travelled on my own but would not think you had any worries with Thailand. Where are you thinking of going to?
I wanted to do a bit of touring around Thailand, basically I haven't done my research yet, but I want to see all the sights, get into the outback so to speak and see the true thailand. After that I would like to do some island hopping.
Perhaps others can help as I have really just been to the tourist type places. Sounds good though :D
Thank you!! I have just been reading the Bangkok best places to go thread....and it all sounds great! Getting very excited about this trip...shame I have so long to wait but it will be worth it!!

Any further help welcome! Thank you all!
I've travelled to all 3 countries alone. Just take the usual precautions at night. I felt a whole lot safer than I do in the UK.
Thanks Chris for your response, as you have been to all 3 destinations, any top tips places to go, see, stay?? Thanks...much appreciated SW
Let me know which areas you plan to stay and how much time you have. If you only have 2/3 weeks then it would be difficult to cover all 3 countries in one trip (I always like to save somewhere for next time)...
I think I'm going to have longer than that. I was thinking of a couple of months travelling around, and maybe stopping on an island for a while as I'm a divemaster, and might be able to find some work.
How long did you spend in each country and what did you see/do? I understnad there is probably quite a lot, but would be interested to hear about it!
Lucky you, I'm still working so can only manage about 18 days at a time.
Cambodia - I stayed in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, spending more time in SR. Didn't have time for Sihanoukville, Kampot, Bokor, etc so they'll keep for another visit.

Laos - again I only had time for Luang Prabang and Vientiane, decided to give Vang Vieng a miss but given more time I would have liked to go further North and South which you'll easily have time for. Vientiane isn't worth more than 3 days max but a trip to Buddha Park near Friendship Bridge is worth visiting - it's about 50 mins away on the bus.

You'll find more info on both the Thorntree and TOA forums where there's lots of people who are travelling for longer periods. You'll meet lots of people travelling alone, especially if you stay in guesthouses and not hotels.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.