General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
can you travel in a cast ? YES

is it a good reason to cancel ? probably not

if you do go you must obtain from the doctor a FIT TO FLY letter

wizard
I assume you are staying in Europe, in which case you are probably Ok - but there are some countries (Singapore being one) that require you to carry an xray if travelling in a plaster cast (actually think it's a customs thing to avoid smuggling!!) - strongly suggest that you check carefully that there is no restriction (and don't assume your GP will know)

As you will be several weeks post break he will likely be OK with the swelling - but it can be exacerbated by flying (and actually the risk of a DVT is higher) - so encourage him to keep his fingers etc moving during the flight.

BTW and slightly :offtop I recommend http://www.limboproducts.co.uk/?gclid=CO2p4cSitZsCFU0B4wodoWfVOg should you need a waterproof cover to enable him to go in the sea/pool etc. Beware of sand - is VERy uncomfortable inside a cast!!!!!!!
You could pm Lynwestie as her son has the same predicament, & knowing Lyn she will know all there is to know about travelling with a cast.
Hi, thank you for the replies. Think I'll ring Thomson up later and see what they advise and the insurance company. We go four weeks Monday and at the mo hes in a full arm cast (very thick and very heavy). If all goes well then theres a slim chance we could get him in a half cast for the hol which would be fantastic. All depends on next weeks xray. Luckily we're only going to Majorca so not too far from home.

He's moaning about going swimming on holiday but i've just ordered a cover which should come today so he can try it out in the shower first.
sorry only just seen this .

It sounds like your sons injury is a lot worse that my sons marie. He fractured 2 fingers last week and the hospital said he had to have a cast. We travel in 2 weeks but they were hopeful that given 3 weeks he should be ok.

He actually went for the weekly check up yesterday and they took it off despite not even having an xray so he's ok . From the info gathered 6 weeks sounds about the norm so he might be ok . I would try your best not too worry too much and see how it's healing in the next few weeks.

Sorry I can't be of much help but give it 2/3 weeks and you never know things may not look so bad.

lyn
My advice would be to get a lightweight plaster put on and ask them to bivalve it (split it) as everything swells on flights, even if you don't notice it.
It's also worth speaking to them at the fracture clinic as there are sometimes other appliances that can used depending on where and how bad the fracture is.

We get lots of requests for this at work this time of year so I'm sure your insurance company will be well used to it!
Hi, thanks for the replies. It's good to hear about things like lightweight casts as if you don't know about these things you can't ask. Think I'll see what the xray shows and see when they ask to see him again, then start asking about a new cast. He's got a compound fracture and had wires fitted so hes obviously got wounds to heal and stitches in place, but at least we still have four weeks to go, and he's only 15 so hopefully he's got good healing bones (thats me staying hopeful for him). The fracture is close to his wrist so hopefully they can give him use of his elbow back in a few weeks.

Didn't realise we needed a letter from the doctor but I suppose that makes sense, thank goodness for this site! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.