General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
According to the NHS website most airlines will allow you to fly 48 hours after a plaster cast has been fitted although they recommend you check with your airline first. There is a risk of swelling after the cast has been fitted hence the 48 hour rule.
Hi Aslemma ... this previous topic may provide some useful info:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=136193

Hope you're not in too much pain and discomfort.

David :wave
Thank you both so much. The link was particularly helpful and I'll ask about a lightweight cast when I go to the hospital on Thursday. The break is just below the elbow and I'll contact the airline (BA) and insurance company (AXA) when I know more. Goodness knows what we will do if we lose HT as no-where else could we get so much useful information in one place.

I managed to get a reasonable night's sleep after taking co-codamol. Main problem at present is the weight of the cast and the difficulty of dressing etc. I'm actually typing with one finger too. :roll:
what are you like :duh

As your arm may swell up during the flight what tends to happen now is you are given what is an open cast or a backslab cast, it is just like a normal cast, solid on one side except it is cut length ways on the other side and is held closed by velcro type straps, this allows you to open it slightly to ease any swelling during the flight.

:kiss
Thanks Graham but by now you should know what I'm like. :rofl I'm so glad I came on here with my questions before going back to the hospital on Thursday.
don't forget your Fit o Fly letter from the doctor :D
I've actually rung BA this morning and all they want is a letter from the hospital to say when the cast was put on. I know I'm also supposed to let my insurance company know but I'll leave that until after I've been back to the hospital tomorrow when I'll know whether it needs to be pinned.
Yes you would do right to wait until you have been to the hospital before contacting your insurer and have further information regarding flying, etc.

I hope that the meds work enough so that you can get a decent night's sleep.

luci :wave
I managed to sleep OK last night thanks to co-codamol and hope I'm as lucky tonight, though it seems more painful now than it was then.

Once I've seen the hospital again I'll contact my insurer and stress that I want to go away, which I really do at present. I don't think I'll have too much difficulty in persuading my doctor to ban me travelling if I decide nearer the time that I don't feel up to it.
But if you inform the insurance company won't they stop you from claiming at a later date as it will be pre existing?
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
But if you inform the insurance company won't they stop you from claiming at a later date as it will be pre existing?

It won't be pre-existing as it happened after the policy was taken out.

However, Alsemma, the insurance company will probably ask whether you are travelling against medical advice. If your doctor advises you that you shouldn't go then your insurance won't cover you. That is why it is important to get a Fit to Fly letter.

luci :wave
I'll see what the insurance say when I ring them. I know the other side of the coin though - if the doc says I can travel but I don't want to go because it won't be the holiday I was looking forward to then they won't pay out as it was my choice, which is where I hope Plan B can come into play.
Hi Aslemma - I'm just wondering whether my work colleague was told about the drugs concern, as her 6 year old son had the normal cast fitted. He was due back in the hospital yesterday morning, and I know it was a week too soon for the cast to be removed. However they've managed to fly to Australia today, so I'm not sure what sort of cast he's been given. I went abroad a few years ago with an elastic stocking and crutches, after ripping a muscle, and I will say I wouldn't do it again. There was just so much I couldn't do!
I mentioned the drugs saga to BA and the lady said that seemed very OTT and they were not concerned on that score. I read somewhere though that some countries such as Singapore did have these restrictions in place so it may depend where you are going rather than which airline you are flying with.
Helen - it could be that because they are transitting in an arab country as there is an extra concern with drugs :que
Got back from the hospital a short while ago with a nice new plaster but no pins. I told the doctor I was due to fly in just under 3 weeks so the cast has been 'split' and he is sending me a letter for the airline. I now have a bit more movement as my hand has been left free but I'm obviously still very restricted so I'll give it a couple of weeks before deciding what to do as the cast is not due to come off until 1st May, after I get back.
Spent a lot of time (and money) on the phone to the insurance company yesterday as I was put through to 'medical assessments' first. They insisted on getting my whole history and then told me that in future not only would heart problems be excluded, as has been the case for many years, but anything related to osteoporosis, which I guess they would blame for any broken bones. I'm now going on this holiday but will then cancel my continuous insurance through my Visa card and search for any company which will cover me at a reasonable price. I haven't had any heart problems for years so don't mind that being excluded but daren't risk not being insured for broken bones as they can happen anywhere, and neither I nor the family would be able to foot a big bill. I hate the thought that my overseas trips may now have come to a premature end but I do have to be fair to my family. :(
I hope you enjoy your holiday, I too have to shop around for insurance, but you will find one im sure that will offer a good price.
Margaret(madmum) :que
But if you didn't know you had osteoporosis, you would still be covered for broken bones?
Not everybdoy gets tested for osteoporosis :think

it does seem unfair, as anyone can break a bone in a nasty fall.

Hope things work out OK for you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.