Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
boygeorgefan,

In a word, no. These are no longer used by UK airlines, and haven't been for quite a while now. Last one I can think of was G-BYDA, DC10-30 with My Travel that was withdrawn about November 2004. The RAF still use some Tristars for troop transport. Occasionally, Luzair and their Tristar is used by charter airlines to cover for a sick aircraft and World Airways and their DC10's are occasionally used. Omni Air International DC10 made an appearance the other year covering for Monarch and used on the repatriation or XL customers, and it sometimes chartered for troop transport. If you want to fly on an MD11, KLM is your answer.

Darren

PS a please and thank you every so often wouldn't ago amiss
The only other "European" alternative to KLM that I can think of is Finnair (think they still fly 5 or 6 ) but as Darren says KLM will offer best choices of getting to fly on MD 11....(probably with no back of seat IFE!)

Nivsy
Hi Darren,

You Aviation knowledge is better than mine but cant you fly Brize Norton to the Falkland Islands on a Tristar or has the aircraft changed on this.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Stewart
stewartwilkie wrote:
fly Brize Norton to the Falkland Islands on a Tristar or has the aircraft changed on this.

That's an RAF flight though isn't it? I would assume they'd still be using their Tristar until they eventually replace them, probably with the Airbus A330-200.

Darren
Hi Darren,

It is an RAf flight but Joe Public can still book on it, limited availability but can be done.

Kind Regards
Stewart
It's not quite "Joe Public" that can book the flights from Brize to Falklands. Civilians can use the service (and can also be bumped on the discretion of the MoD) however they must be relatives of serving personnel or on official business for the MoD.

Flyglobespan operate the flight on behalf of the MoD - B767 equipment used.

Nivsy
or on official business for the MoD.

Or any other Government Department. A friend of mine who works as a child protection consultant for various Ministries, has used both the Falklands flight and other military flights when doing child protection related work in far flung UK Protectorates. Lord knows what the military types made of Mike, looking like a cousin of Paddington Bear in his dufflecoat, on the Ascension Island flight on route to Pitcairn Island! He's also been on the mailboat to St Helena when doing similar work!

SM
Why didn't Monarch or MYT just keep their DC10's a little longer.
boygeorgefan,

Please refer to my PS on your previous post above. We don't mind answering questions or discussing things, but question after question with no acknowledgement or please and thank you's get a bit wearing after a while. The reason MON / MYT retired the aircraft is because they were old and becomming too costly to run and maintain. They were replaced by more modern aircraft that are greener and more cost effective to run. The DC10 also required additional crew (type rating) as it was a non-common type in their fleet.

Darren
I've had the privelidge of flying on several Tristar flights, British Airtours years ago, Air Scandic, Caledonian. Although they were looking their age, it still has to my favourite passenger aircraft of all time. When those RB211's whine up for take off, it is an awesome experience. Pity most of them are now defunct however thats progess for you I suppose.
I flew on the DC10 and Tristar on a refuelling mission dureing my time in the ATC.

Steve
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.