Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Trip to Symi
8 Posts
Symi is easily walkable around the harbour and at Panormitris where the boat usually docks first. However don't try the steps to explore more inland, I speak from experience!!!! Even my new hip isn't up to that!
Thankyou Anne ,dont suppose you can suggest a good restaurant for lunch ? no english food please !!
Phyll
Phyll, I can't remember the name, but if you walk to the right, around the harbour from where the ferry berths, just past the leather & sponge shops, is a little cafe with half a dozen tables outside. Its the last cafe on the U of the harbour - great little place.
I agree with Doonhamer on that one. Another tip is the further from the harbour you go the more reasonable the prices!
1. Don't miss Symi.
2. The ferry trip depends upon which boat you choose and takes 40 minutes on the Aegli hydrofoil, 55 minutes on the Dodekanissos Pride/ Express and about 1:40 on the ANES Proteus (just back in service). The day trip boats (Symi, Symi II, Nikolaos X) do indeed call in at Panormitis monastery first for an hour or so, taking a total of 3:45 to reach Symi Harbour.

Dodek timetables here
ANES timetables here

Beware: these timetables change rather often so check before you go.

3. Yialos Harbour is flat and level and you will have plenty of choice amongst shops, bars and tavernas. The Kali Strata up to the Chorio can be a bit of a climb (381 steps to the Rainbow Taverna, counted many times). The record is still 5:08 if you want to try and beat it. There is The Bus, which leaves every hour on the hour from Yialos or there are taxis.

4. Restaurants. There is very little English food around and the cooking is excellent. My favourites in Yilaos are the Trata, at the bottom of the KaliStrata or the two Mythos Restaurants opposite the usual ferry dock, Mythos Taverna on the harbourside and the superb Mythos Akteion roof restaurant 50 yards further East if you want something really special.

A useful guide to some of the bars and restaurants: here

5. General information on the Island, beaches, photos etc. (including the two live webcams) :

here
DO NOT book trips with the tour rep.They will rip you off. In May we booked with a travel agency in Faliraki. Including transfer from apartment cost was 23 euros. Obviously cost will depend which resort you are staying.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.