Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
I've done both tour operator and d.i.y. trips to Tunisia, but have found d.i.y. working out cheaper at present. My next trip in April was booked with Co-operative Travel, the flights being with Thomas Cook and hotel with Low Cost Beds, but I've already booked flights with BA for September as they were so cheap and will organise the hotel later. Transport throughout Tunisia is extremely cheap. You may like to have a look at the Tunisian train timetable below but you will see it's almost a 7 hour train journey from Tozeur to Sousse:

http://www.fahrplancenter.com/Fahrplan_SNCFT.html

Also have a look at this: http://www.seat61.com/Tunisia2.htm

The desert trip is well worth while and your children should enjoy it, particularly if they have something to keep them amused whilst travelling. There is quite a lot on this on the forum so have a look at that. All the hotel reps sell this but I did the 2-day tour a couple of years ago, booking it direct with Saphir Voyages when I got to Sousse: 00 216 72 240168 - if you decide to take this route make sure you ask for an English speaking tour.

Think about using the louages (shared taxis) as a good way of going distances. They set of from various central points once they have a full complement of passengers. As there are quite a lot of you it may mean that you have a louage almost to yourselves. The buses are another option - once again cheap as chips.

Sorry but I can't help you with the Red Lizard Train as I've never been on it but I'm pretty certain someone on here will have some answers for you.
I looked into doing DIY last October,but couldnt get the flight or hotel cheaper so we opted for a package.I have done the safari trip twice,booked with our tour operator in our hotels,the Red lizard train was my favourite.As Aselema said transport is very cheap and lots of options if you do DIY.
Thank you :)

Aslemma, can you recommend any hotels in the Sousse/Skanes/PEK area? We'd ideally like to go AI (not essential) but everything I have found is so much more expensive than Yasmine Hammamet.
Hi,
I've done sort of DIY myself. :)

Only me and the wife go now because the kids have other interests. We're off again in April.
If I was doing your trip, I would make the first week a travelling trip not based in any one location, and find hotels on the way.

Douz has a very nice, clean but basic, hotel, Vent Mars (March 20) (email: hotel20mars@planet.tn) nice for a one or two night stop-over, it is right in the centre of town next to the market square, the market is a great place to visit and Douz is the "Gateway to the Desert", a short trip out of town will take you to a camel station where you can go on a camel ride far cheaper than you'll book from the tourist resorts.
From Douz you can explore various interesting desert places including Ksar Ghilane, Matmata or Tataouine; it is very easy to travel indepently in these areas using the louage and taxis. If you want a higher standard of hotel then there is the tourist zone where you can find very nice 5 stars. There is something very special about sitting drinking coffee at dusk over-looking the market square in Douz. This might sound a little daunting but it is easy to do and if you book from a northern resort you'll still have the long road trip to do anyhow.

You can even rent a room in the hotel used in the Star Wars film, pretty basic but an experience for any SW fans. I've never been on the Red Lizard train but I've read mixed reviews, some love it, some say it is too expensive for what it is. Sfax is a good place to break a journey for one night, some nice hotels, and not many tourists, one of the many medina's where you'll not be hassled, hang on to the kids though it is easy to get lost. El Jem is then just up the road a little.

Don't rule out the Ile de Djerba, Houmt Souk has some nice hotels, we stay the other side of the Island Aghir, again, less English which makes it seem more like a holiday to me.

Also bear in mind, as a family you'll be able to eat cheaply away from the resorts. Pasta, chicken and chips, cous-cous, with meat and/or vegetables, etc will cost less than £20 for the six of you, and that will include a starter, bread, harrisa, olives and bottled water.

If you would like some specific info mail me from my site, http://www.4x4-travel.co.uk
Kevin
Sorry not to have got back to you sooner Harley. I've stayed in quite a few hotels in Sousse and the one I would recommend would be the 4* Marhaba Beach, though I'm not sure if it is AI as I always go HB. It is within walking distance of the centre, medina, etc. though taxis, tuktuks and the 'noddy train' are available (and cheap). It is part of a complex of four hotels and you can use the facilities of all of them. I do think you would be best to base yourself in Sousse, as you will need to go there for the trains, buses etc if you want to explore independently. Many people prefer PEK but that is easy to get to for a look round the Marina etc. Skanes has very little to recommend it apart from the hotels and you don't sound like the sort of people to stay round the hotel all day. You must, however, visit Monastir to see the Mausoleum of the late President, which is absolutely beautiful, covered in gold leaf inside and out and not a bit depressing, unlike English mausoleums.
Thanks very much, that is most helpful :tup

I will let you know what we decided on.

HD
x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.