Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Oh dear....

What's the name of the hotel he is staying in ?

Are you sure he booked with Escape holidays, only on their website they don't advertise
Portugal at all....
He's staying at the Jardim apts.
He booked with Co-Op Travel Care. He's been in touch with the Co-Op, as have I, they are trying to sort it out for him, but they say it's still high season there, and there's not much accommodation that has room, and those that have they say are a higher standard, so IF they find somewhere, he'll have to pay extra.
This holiday has been booked since January and cost nearly £1000.
If they are the right apartments then they are advertised on Holiday Hotels (Albufeira Jardim) the studios are described as having 'sofa style beds'. I presume that these are ordinary sofas that don't open out into a bed as such but can still be made into a bed.

I suspect that depending on what he actually booked and what is described on his invoice might have a bearing on whether he will have to pay up for a change in hotel/apartment himself. It is all in the wording I'm afraid.

I have also had a quick look at the apartments on a few review sites and a lot say the same - the studios do not have 'proper' beds. This is fairly common in studio apartments - lack of space I suppose.

Pippa
We stay occasionally in a studio for 1 or 2 nights when our house is booked out and find that the majority are single sofas. Sorry that your son isnt pleased with the outcome of the studio, but researching your accommodation in depth is a vital thing before booking. Hope he and his partner enjoy their holiday, and compromise. the situation.
Thank you all for your replies.
Yes, I did a bit of research on these apartments as well, and your correct, it does say 'sofa style beds' Is this common in the Algarve?
I know 'sofa beds' are common across Europe, but these do fold down into beds. The one's in the Jardim are just sofas, ok for a night or two, but for two weeks!
Co-Op Travel Care have given him the address of another apartment that may have room for them. He is going to check it out this morning, and if it's ok, they will be going there. It is the same star rating, so the will be little, if any extra cost. heres hoping.
Once again, thank you all for your help, I will post an outcome on this situation when my son gets in touch later today.
Interesting problem and use of language by Holiday Hotels.

I agree with Jayjan that you should do some research but I wouldn't say that extends to checking with companies you're not dealing with. In this case did the agent (Co-op) or holiday provider (Escape) mention the odd arrangement? If all their material simply mentions beds then it ought to be reasonable to expect beds as we know them, the fact that Holiday Hotels use their wording is evidence that the other companies should have said something and works in your son's favour.
Update -
To cut a (very) long story short. They will not move them at no cost. So, he's making a go of it and staying at the Jardim.
As others have said, a lack of research.
Judging by the photos on the Jardim's own website

http://www.albufeira-jardim.com/uk/home.html

these sofas in the studios are fairly standard 'day beds' as are found in many Spanish and Portugese apartments and studios. They can be a bit narrow - usually only 90cms or less but once the back cushions are removed they are as wide as most wooden framed twin beds. I've slept often on similar beds in the Canaries and found them very comfortable but then I do like a firm bed. Yes, they're not a divan bed but they are beds that convert into settees during the day as opposed to sofas that open out into beds and as such I think probably fairly standard studio furnishings in that part of the world.

SM
something simular happened a few years ago, not happy with room got moves at extra cost paid this took loads of photos of room and surrounding area, take photo of the other rooms that have beds in, the on arrival home pursue the case through abta, got my extra payment back plus compensation, but must take photos and save all printed matter relating to case Good Luck
No come back if what they got was actually what they booked. There is no case to pursue unless it was stated that there were proper beds.

The onus is on the customer to read the details carefully.

Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.