Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Not sure about Pay as you go for outside EU really, I have an Orange PAYG and its fine in Europe but won't take me outside of that - maybe different on other networks.
Your best bet is to buy a cheap PAYG phone over there as they come pre-loaded with credit. I've heard of the Net10 before.

Maybe get a taxi to take you to somewhere like Walmart's at your first port of call.

If you already have a mobile you can check your provider's website for current rates of calling from the US to the UK. For example, I think Orange is £1.30/min.

luci :wave
Thanks luci.

I googled net 10 but I'm confused as to how it works. They talk about losing your number if you don't top up every month. Can I use them in the UK or only in the US? If I leave the phone credit run out how do I activate it again next year? I sound thick I know but I must be one of the few people that never uses a mobile unless abslolutely necessary.
Our orange PAYG was fine US allthough expensive.

If you can find internet access(ashore) VOIP is a cheap option
Just ask where the crew go.
I have checked with orange and they say my phone will not work in US to phone home.
You need a tri band the sim should work

See if you can borrow a phone that will work and stick your sim in it.
I agree with Windjammer. If you ask your room Steward where the nearest Internet Cafe is this will save you a fortune. The calls are very cheap and I buy a card or just use the ITC and pay them.

Sue
Glad I came in this thread now, last time I used my PAYG phone outside EU (7 years ago), I could not make calls, and assumed it had not changed, thanks Luci and OP, looked on the Orange website and can use the phone abroad, and may have to change the network upon arrival, calls are expensive but at least have the option.

If you are intending using your own mobile abroad, make sure you call your provider before you leave the UK to have international roaming allowed.

luci HT Mod wrote:
If you are intending using your own mobile abroad, make sure you call your provider before you leave the UK to have international roaming allowed.

I will give Orange a call - although I detest phoning them you have far too many push button options :que
You may be able to do it online on their website, but I haven't checked.

Just phoned Orange and chap confirmed that I have a quad band on my phone (whatever that is) - phone two weeks old by the way - and that I don't need roaming, as roaming is for Pay monthly and mine is PAYG - so should be OK
IIRC orange made all PAYG international a while back.

One thing to watch is if you keep your phone on at sea it will connect to the ships cell.
THIS is VERY EXPENSIVE.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.