America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
We are planning our first trip to the Utah National Parks in August which will include a trip to Monument Valley. I'm sure others will be able to help you more than myself, but from the initial planning that I have done I am aware of only two places to stay close to Monument Valley itself, one being Gouldings and a new hotel the View Hotel which is actually inside Monument Valley and next to the Tribal Park Visitors Center. Neither is that cheap, but then again you are paying for location.

http://www.monumentvalleyview.com/

I have read that you can tour the scenic drive in your own car but it is on unpaved roads (car hire may not cover this) but there are tours available from the Visitors Center, details of which can be found on the above website.

It now looks as though our route is going to be via Salt Lake City instead of Las Vegas, so it will be south from SLC to Capitol Reef NP, then following a clockwise route to Moab (Arches & Canyonlands NP), Monument Valley as mentioned, Page AZ for Lake Powell, and then up to Zion National Park and across to Bryce Canyon before heading back to Salt Lake City.

What else have you got planned apart from Monument Valley?

HTH

Ju
I can't give you much information as it's 33 years since I last visited Monument Valley, I just want to say youv'e made a great choice. After all these years the magnificent scenery of the area still stands out clearly in my memory, it's awesome.
We were touring in a camper van at the time and stayed in a basic campground run by the Navajo people, I don't think there was a hotel anywhere near the valley and I have very mixed feelings about the new one that has been built. I just hope it hasn't spoiled what was a pristine landscape.
Enjoy your visit.
We stayed at Gouldings for a couple of nights last April. The new hotel, close to the entrance was under construction at the time.

You can do your own trip around part of the valley, but you will need a 4x4 and then some skill to get through the ruts. There are lots of companies offering trips in small converted wagons close to the entrance to the park, where you will also find hawkers etc. Some of whom are persistent. If you do go with one of these bring a hat, and possibly some goggles or a face mask and some baby wipes to clear the sand off your face when you get back.

We did a four hour trip out of Gouldings which included a visit to a Logan (teepee) and went further into the valley than most of the other trips. It wasn't comfortable but it was enjoyable, and needs to be done really.

There is a John Wayne museum at Gouldings, where he stayed during filming in the valley and you can also visit the original home of the Gouldings, also a museum. Neither of them are that exciting, but they pass an hour.

There is a complete alcohol ban in the valley, not even in the boot of your car. It is very quiet around Gouldings, especially afte dark.

Food is ok in the only restaurant, also Gouldings. There are some traditional native Indian dishes to try. Nobody seems to stay up late around there. Everybody wants to be up for sunrise.

We went through Page to Bryce ( fanatastic, with plenty of good walks ), although it is a bit tacky just outside the park entrance. and then on to Zion, which again was superb. We had one of our best meals/ night out in Zion in a restaurant called The Spotted Dog( book it early if you can ). I'm not sure but I think that you can't have a drink in a bar as such. You must have a meal to get a drop of alcohol.
There are some tolls to pay entering Bryce and Zion ( which is worth it for the drive through the tunnel )

You might see snow high up on the route between Bryce and Zion even in August.

Maybe you should finish in Vegas, as we did, so you really can experience going from the sublime to the ridiculous.

have fun

jr
Thank you all for your advice, Monument Valley (in my opinion) is one of those must see/experience places in the US, we are trying to work a holiday later this year around a visit there, Vegas looks likely as the final destination, thanks once more.
I've wanted to go to Monument Valley ever since I first saw Thelma & Louise in the early 90's. In the movie, there are roads (or at least, a road) that pass through it. Is that not correct? From the information posted above, it seems that one needs a 4-wheel drive vehicle to go through Monument Valley, or does it just depend which part of it you are at?

I've considered doing a road trip there...but it's a long drive just to see some scenery, regardless of how spectacular it is. But I could do it in a weekend. It's about a 9 hour drive and, seeing how my work pays for my gas, I suppose there's no excuse really. It would just be a lot of driving but, then again, I drive to northern California a few times a year and that takes about 7 hours so I suppose it's not much more. But again, do I need a 4-wheel drive vehicle or is a car going to suffice?
GEB,
From what I can tell having looked into our trip in August it does look as though the scenic drive is on unpaved roads. Obviously a standard hire car would be able to get round, but my theory is that the insurance won't cover any issues caused by driving off road, so for us it would have to be a tour. This isn't such a bad thing though because the tours take you to areas that are out of bounds for others.

Our very own Stephen Fry said that on first glimpse of Monument Valley his first words were "Poor Australia" in his recent Stephen Fry in America book, obviously indicating that there is a comparison to be had between Monument Valley and Ulhuru (Ayers Rock) with MV coming out on top. We were pretty blown away by Ulhuru and did the 9.7(?)km walk around it, but if MV is even more impressive I guess we are in for a treat.
jwhiting

You certainly are in for a treat, Uluru and the Olgas are certainly impressive but Uluru is just one big rock (though much bigger than I had imagined after having done the base walk on a very hot day) but MV is not just one big rock but dozens, all huge and different shapes in a landscape that seems to go on for ever.
I have just seen the repeat of Stephen Fry TV program, ( I missed it first time around) and it really made me want to revisit the area.

Judith
Thanks Judith

The fact that Stephen Fry chose Monument Valley as the cover of the book as well probably indicates just how impressive the area is, especially as he travelled across the whole country and had the choice of so many great places.

I have literally just had a Utah and Salt Lake travel guide land on my doormat from the Utah Tourism board. Plenty to read now. :tup

The base walk and sunrise at Uluru was tough but well worth it. We also did the Olgas at sunset, amazing colours. The Ayers Rock Resort takes a bit of a pounding on various travel forums but we loved our two nights there. We were less impressed with the fact that we had to share our 4 berth dorm in the Outback Pioneer with a lovely oldish couple from Cinciannati(sp) who continually snored all night. You could even hear next door laughing about it!!! Suffice to say that the sunrise wake up call was welcome relief. Anyway I have gone :offtop again!!!!

Very much looking forward to the planning and doing of the August trip....if we stick with that decision of course.... :rofl
Monument valley is an experience you wont forget!!

I went on a road trip that went from NYc to LA in August 08 and we stopped off at Monument Valley.

I would definately recommend when touring the area to use the jeeps provided by the navajo indians instaed of your own vehicle. The Navajos make the expericne a whole lot more intersting as they tell you about the monuments and the area etc.

If there are any questions i would be willing to help out. Although as accomodation goes we camped out every night for a month.

Emma
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.