Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi gill1scott most Chemists have uptodate information on the subject i allways check with them first :tup
We went on Thomson's Caribbean Gems last year. Before going, I went to the doctors and saw the nurse who was very informative. She looked up all the places the cruise visited and gave me the jabs necessary (for free!) : Tetanus; Diptheria and Hepatitis A. We also discussed Malaria tablets. I recommend seeing the nurse at your local practice.
A quck search and the issue seems to be that yellow fever was found in monkeys on Trinidad and allthough no human cases.

So this may put it on the list of at risk places which makes it mandatory to have the inoculation to visit some other places.
I don't think it is mandatory to visit Trinidad at the moment and the recomendations seems to be only if going into the jungle.

Needs further investigation.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever-vaccine-requirements-and-recommendations/trinidad-and-tobago.aspx
loads of others with a google.
If you use the Fit for Travel NHS site in this link it will give you all the info for each destination you will be travelling to.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx

Angie.
Thanks for the replies - I should have said that it was a nurse in their Dr surgery who gave this information! However, they have been in contact with the cruiseline (Princess) who have said yellow fever is not necessary
I have wondered this too as going on a carribean cruise in april, had several jabs to visit Egypt 5 years ago ( and had boosters) so may be covered for some stuff,i am going to speak to practice nurse. Also as ou r cruise starts and finishes in Dominican Rep, should I take malaria precautions? I know its advised for holidays to Dom Rep, but the time we are there is minimal, any replies would be great.
Hi emso
When we did Carribean last year we took them but not all on board did but because we did some trips in the Dom Rep, whilst the boat had change over for the second week, we felt we should and we will again this year better to be safe than sorry. We had our tabs from Asda chemist who advised us on best to take we had NO side effects.
Regards Roger
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.