Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
This is very much a "holidaymakers" forum.
You need something more aimed at "travellers" (not the ones in old buses from Glastonbury!)
Try....indiamike.com then go to cities, then Varanasi
Didnt make it a link as not permitted, sorry.
Really don't understand this, 14 posts not enough to point someone straight at the info they need?
I could sit here and fire off mindless posts about shack toilets/best place for chips/ where has the nicest room boys and then I could post a link, but you know what? I can't be bothered........
When someone needs help, I'll just type a sentence instead of a simple link.
J5
Hi Noggin

Are you looking for a european style hotel or a backpackers? When I visited Varanasi a few years ago I stayed at The Clarkes Hotel, it was quite pricey and I wasn't overly impressed. There's a large variety of hotels ranging from luxury to fleapits, you might be better looking on http://www.tripadvisor.com for more reviews on both the city and hotels.

Judith
And it is a problem to you, personally?
At least I tried to help.................
Thanks johnny five and judith for your replies...
Just wondering...can i get a train directly from Varanasi to Agra (without having to go to Delhi...)
I know i will be directed to a railway site...but very confusing :duh
Also how much...approx :que
I believe the Marudhar Express runs between the two cities. It takes about 12 hours prices will depend on the class you choose. I know you don't want to trawl through web sites but it's the only way you are going to find out prices etc. if no one else can help on HT. Try http://www.indianrail.gov.in I used the site for info when I travelled in the south some time ago. It's not always totally up to date but will give you some idea.
I flew between the two cities, it wasn't very expensive and saved a lot of time but I do enjoy riding the train in India, it's usually a memorable experience.
Judith is right. This is a good site for Indian train times and costs etc etc.

I have ideas next year to visit Varanasi and Udaipur organising it all myself. Flights to Bombay and then train to wherever!

Good luck and let us all know how you get on. I for one would be interested.

Pete

http://erail.in/
Hello Noggin I have trained it from Agra to Varanasi about 4 years ago, I took the overnight train but cannot remember how much it costs.

Tickets are easy to book at the train station, but it can be a time consuming task. If the trains are full you need to use go to a local travel agent and book there they will source you a ticket but it will cost you more. I must admit if I had more funds when I travelled in India I would have just used local travel agents as it saves loads of time.

At the station you will be hassled by porters offering to take your luggage and then carry it on the train when it arrives. The one we used at Agra was short sighted and boarded us on the wrong carriage; I never used a porter again after that. The train will be at the station for about 20 minutes before it pulls off so no need to rush.

I agree with Judith use trip advisor to find your hotel

The travel agent in the Hotel will do all the donkeywork booking the trains if you do not want the hassle.

Has anyone else who stayed in Varanasi had power cuts? Someone told me it was the state cutting the power off, as the town does not pay all its taxes.

Hope you have a good time, Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image