General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
VAT on holidays
2 Posts
Definately VAT on UK accomodation except for small B&Bs etc. which don't do enough business to go over the VAT registration level. I'd agree that it should have been 15%.

BUT if you were quoted an inclusive price when you booked, which they charged, and have just noticed the VAT breakdown you won't have any claim because you accepted the inclusive price for whatever it included. Unless you booked months ago before VAT was cut and the price specifically said "inc. VAT at 17.5%", then you may have an argument for getting the 2.5% back.

The VAT on "holidays" is to do with package tours. As I understand it there's no VAT on the service charge of the package (ie the admin costs of the operator putting the package together) but you may be paying VAT on the accomodation without seeing it listed, possibly to a foreign government at their rate. There is no UK VAT on flights and trains however you book them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.