Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Venice prices
96 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good holiday let in Venice?

We don't mind walking so it doesn't have to be right in the centre.

If not a holiday let can anyone recommend a nice hotel.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
I would recommend Casa Querini - we stayed there in Sept. For more details, go to this post:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=86878
Would any onne know what Venice is like in DEcember for a short break around the 10th? Is it open or would it be Christmassy?

I was thinking of two hotels, Casa Sant Andrea, or i think the other is called the Hungaria... any one know anything about these? or have any other suggestions

many thanks
We liked the Foscari Palace very much, especially the breakfast! It's on the Grand Canal but 4 vaporetto stops up the Canal from St Mark's and near the Rialto (better still).

http://www.venicewelcome.com/foscaripalace.htm
Guys,

Got a great deal to Venice. I will let you know how it goes. There was this hotel called the Plaza, it works out that it only cost me 199 euros for two of us for three nights with breakfast included. It s based at the Maestro Station which I read on tripadvisor was 1 euro each way to Venice, trains every 5 mins.. sounds like a great offer. Flights from dublin only cost 158 return

Am very happy camper hope it works out now...
Just got back from weekend break to Venice - if anyone has any questions I will try to answer
Hi Becky

I m heading out there on Thursday. Whats it like there at the moment, is it very wet. what clothes would you think its worth bringing?

Hope you had a good hol
Don't forget that Venice is prone to flooding! Take your wellies, and practise walking on duckboards!

Seriously though, it should be beautifully calm around Christmas, and you should see a side of it that few others do.
Hi
We're off to Venice in a few weeks. Very interested in visting Murano & seeing glass making.

Any tips/recommendation about where to see & buy glass, especially jewellery and beads/pendants.

Also what is the best way to get to Murano, our hotel is about 5 minutes from the Rialto bridge?

Thanks in advance :)
You will be spoilt for choice. Avoiding glass shops is the difficult bit. There are two factories and ten shops n the first 100 metres as you leave the ferry! Yes, we have bought several pieces of jewellery and pendants and they have been much appreciated. This was the first time we have done our Christmas shopping in March (usually in late December).
From the Rialto, I suggest you walk through to the Fondamente and catch the direct vaporetto to Murano. It's a quick trip and is covered by the Orange Card (a must-have for a holiday in Venice).
Have been meaning to let you all know how this went but have been busy with exams. The idea of staying just outside Venice worked very well indeed. The train in and out is easy peasy and costs only one euro each way. The hotel was such great value at 199 for both of us b and b for three nights. It was a four star hotel, excellent service and straight across from the train station to Venice. The journey takes about 5 mins or so and trains every 5 mins.

Very handy way of visiting venice without the expense and with the good standard. Airport bus leaves you two mins walk from hotel. Promise I will post a proper review of hotel as soon as I get some time. It was called Plaza hotel in Venice if any one wants any info pm me!
Thanks for posting your report SW :tup Please do share any hotel info with us all! :wink Thank you!

Pippy :D
thanks for info Sunworshipper, I have booked to go in May and am staying in a former monastery for 3 nights just buy the port and train station, any more info on what you got up to and places to eat, prices would be great
The port and railway station in Venice was it? I think the railways station is called Ferrovia or maybe thats italian for railway :oops: Anyway the railways station is an ideal base as you can use the water bus to get into the main tourist attractions such as Rialto and St Marks Square. The main service is the number 1 but i found this to be a pain becuase it stops at all of the water bus stops along the way. There is another service and I am almost certain its an 82 this one goes straight from ferrovia to rialto with I think one stop. There is more info on the water and land buses ran by actv on their website.

http://www.actv.it/english/

In Rialto there are a few really nice places to eat when you get off the water bus from ferrovia turn left and left over the bridge (Rialto) and left on to the other bank of the canal. There are a few nice restaurants here cant remember for the life of me the name of the one we ate in I think it was third in the line here. Most of them offer 'menu touriste' for €15 ish which is a good value set menu of a lasagne which they see as a starter and a main course of say a chicken or pizza stuff like that. Also a really nice place to sit and watch the world go by.

Make sure and get a cake in one of the local cake shops which you find if you wander around the little streets. There are plenty of them cakes are delicious.

if you need any more info, let me know
We also went to Venice - 1st week of December 2006. We also stayed on the mainland at Venice Maestre but at the Best Western Bologna hotel which was across the road from the Plaza.
I would echo the thoughts of Sunworshipper and reccomend that people stay on the mainland. It was certainly cheaper and absoulutely no inconvenience at all to use the cheap and frequent trains onto the island itself - 1 stop; 1 euro and train at least every ten minutes.
All trains appeared to pass through the station - either intercity or local and regional services.
Once you had passed through the station you were on the Grand Canal and the number 82 vaporetto will take you under the Rialto bridge and onto St Marks square. I would reccomend that you buy the daily ticket as we ended up buying 3 x 1 hour tickets for travel on the waterbuses and this was more expensive.
The airport bus - from Venice Treviso - does drop you off just to the side of the railway station and was reliable. At Treviso, the bus drivers and their management made sure that everyone who wanted to get onto the bus into Venice did so and effectively waited at the back of the queue so that noone was left behind.
We did a similar trip twice to Mestre and stayed in the hotel Trieste which is opposite mestre station we got 3 days for under £100 each with octopus travel.
Its certainly a way to get to see Venice easily without the high cost of the accomodation. Also as its right beside the train station could be handy for travelling around Italy.
Pippy
I was just about to write a review but cant find hotel on the list- its Hotel Plaza Venice

Catherine
Catherine I have submit the Plaza for you and we would be greatful if you would submit your review [urlhttp://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/italy/venice/plaza-hotel/]here[/url]

Thanks

Sarah
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.