Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
You may find some info on their website HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
hi pippy

yes i have spent many an hour looking at the web site & theres no info about it.

cheers
Hi. Were are staying at the Victoria golf&beach resort at the beginning of sept. We have read various reports about it eg, food poising,damp rooms,food poisoning :!: Has anyone stayed recently :?: Could you give us any info
Thanks Nige&Nic
I've only found a couple of bad reviews on this hotel, the huge majority love it and return year after year.
I visited it some years back whilst staying somewhere else, its one of the smaller hotels in the Playa Dorada complex and much quieter. They had a major refit last year.

Personally I wouldn't worry about a couple of bad reviews, some people don't realise how laxative coconut can be and its in many of the cocktails and yes rooms can appear to be slightly damp, its the humidity in a tropical country and can't be helped.

Another thing to consider is the washing of hands after using the toilet, you only have to have one person leave behind something on the flush leaver for any bacteria to multiply in the heat and spread to anyone touching it. One persons dodgy tummy turns into an epidemic and its nothing to do with the food at all.

While its nothing like Europe, the DR has a lot to offer if you have done some research and are prepared for the poverty outside of the resorts and don't forget that tourism is slowly making things better. Enjoy! :D
Hello all!

This is my first post in this part of the forum as up until now I've been a devoted fan of Turkey. However, after going there four times in the last 2 years, and getting married there we thought we'd try something new.

We've never been to the caribbean before so all help and advice is gratefully accepted.

We are off to the Victoria Beach and Golf Resort in the Dominican Rep. It has fabulous reviews on this site and on lots of others. We are a couple in our 30s with no children and it sounds quiet and relaxed which is exactly what we are looking for. Unfortunately someone on another forum told me they went there in 2004 and it was awfully shabby and the food was terrible - but I know it has been refurbed since then and all the reports I've read about the food are glowing so we're going to risk it!

We've also never been All Inclusive before and this is a first attempt at that so my questions really are:

1) Do you think we're making a terrible mistake going to the Victoria
2) How much money should we take for tips/excursions etc (I realise this is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string).

Any other hints and tips on DR are welcome!!

Thanks!
Sarah
Hi everyone.
Can anyone confirm whether or not tea and coffee making facilities are provided in the superior rooms at the Victoria Golf Hotel. Also, is it now $15 to enter the Country?
Hi We went to the Victoria resort for Xmas 2007 and had a very nice time. It definitely isn't shabby and they spent a lot of money on the refurb. We've been to the Dom Rep 7 times and have a lot to compare the Victoria to so I won't lie to you and say I thought the food was good as for the most part we didn't enjoy the food at the main buffet restaurant, not as wide a choice as we are used to plus it wasn't very hot which is a real bug bear with me.

We did really enjoy the beach restaurant as it is waitress service and food is cooked to order so we had lunch there everyday, and after we discovered we weren't keen on the buffet we ate at the pizza restaurant which serves fantasic pizza and no reservations required in the evening. We only went for a week which I think was long enough for us as the food would have become boring and repetative for any longer.

You won't need much cash as trips can be paid for by credit card - to save having lots of cash on you but tips I would say $30 for a 2 week stay.
Sorry cant help anyone with the resort because we always book to go to the Iberostar Costa Dorada, I am answering the cost of the Tourist Card. Studrink it is still $US10 per person, the government have'nt implemented the price increase yet even though it was supposed to come into affect on March 2nd.

Angie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.