Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Why not fly to Faro - only 20 minutes drive as against 3 hours or more?

Never know about the weather in February. Last year it was truly horrible some days (storms and rain) but other days it was really nice.

I am not sure about Vilamoura specificallybut many of the places that cater mainly for tourists around here are closed January and February, not really getting going again until Easter. There are people about but not many.
We're going to fly to Lisbon as the flights are less than half the price of flying to Faro, also we are planning on an overnight in Lisbon before we fly home as wouldn't mind a nosey around Lisbon. Am quite looking forward to the journy through Portugal down to the Algarve, get to see a bit of the country! Sounds like the weather might be a bit changeable, suppose that's a risk we'll have to take eh?! Am sure it'll be better than Manchester whatever the weather! :wink: Thanks for your reply.
Just bear in mind the cost of petrol and tolls vix, not sure what the actual toll costs are, but I expect someone on here can enlighten you. And you would have to add the toll for crossing the Tagus river ( only applies to northbound traffic). According to the AA, it's just under 300k, and avoiding toll roads will take you about 5 hours as opposed to 3 hours.

Hope this is of some use.
Hadn't thought about the tolls...will look into that, thanks.
I can't find it at the moment but I think that the idea of driving down to the Algarve from Lisbon was discussed extensively not that long ago. Also, I seem to remember another even more detailed one about driving down to the Algarve from the Channel ports which would contain a great deal of useful info for anyone thinking a driving South through Portugal.

It might be worth scrolling back through the forum to try and find them.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.