My daughter and boyfriend had their Virgin flight from Vegas to gatwick cancelled on the 20th, this was part of a package holiday with the hotel. They were offered a flight home on the 22nd and told they would be put into a hotel and fed. They accepted and flight details were emailed to them. They spent the friday night in a hotel. Sat morning they phoned Virgin to see if they were spending the Sat night and were sent to reception to re-check in. The hotel had no confirmation of them. They phoned Virgin again only to be informed that they should get to the airport now and they just might make the checkin for a flight Vegas to Dallas then Dallas to Heathrow. Then they would have to make their own way from Heathrow to Gatwick. They declined as they could not repack cases and get a taxi and get to the airport in time plus they already had confirmed seats for the following day.
They were then informed that as they had declined a flight home they had to cover all costs of hotels food and transport from that point in time. It took me 5 hours in the UK calling Virgin to get them to put my daughter into a hotel for the Sat night but they did in the end.
They are saying that as long as they offer you a flight back to the UK if you refuse then you pay for everything. My daughter said some people were going to have a 25hour return journey from Vegas to the UK. Others were offered a connecting flight with only 1 hour to collect bags for onward travel. I think they do this deliberately knowing you will refuse and then they do not have to pay your expenses. How does this stand by law, i can see nothin in the small print and your contract is for a direct flight to a certain airport. If it is lawful then i certainly think the public should be made aware.
Thank you.