UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
I'm near Glasgow and our local radio station is reporting this morning that the line is likely to be closed for 5 or 6 days while they investigate what happened and clear away the wreckage.
Branson praises safety of Pendolino after Cumbria crash

Sir Richard Branson has praised the safety of the Virgin Pendolino train following a train crash in Cumbria on Saturday.

An 84-year-old woman was killed and several other passengers were seriously injured when a Virgin Pendolino from London Euston to Glasgow Central derailed near Kendal.

"The Pendolino performed brilliantly. We transport many millions of passengers and have spent a lot of money on Pendolinos. If you are going to have a massive accident, a Pendolino is the safest train to be in," said Branson.

"The train itself stood up remarkably well, it's built like a tank. If this had been an old train the injuries would have been horrendous. Pendolinos have solid crumple zones and most managed to walk away."

He said he was on holiday with his family in Switzerland when the crash happened.

"I noticed 10 messages on my phone and thought that there was something wrong.

"The first thoughts of everyone at Virgin Trains are with the families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives or been injured in this terrible accident. We will do whatever we can to offer assistance in the days ahead."

An inquiry into the incident is focusing on a set of points to the south of the crash site.

Disruption to the line is expected to last for between 10 days and two weeks while the investigation is carried out.

With permission from Travelmole
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.