Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
See my similar posting in the thread "Puerto Banus - whats nit like for families"
WHY! oh Why were they carrying so much money,passports & credit cards, wouldn't it have been safer to leave them in the safe or had they not hired one thinking it can't happen to them . We always hire a safe and then only carry a small amount of money that we will need for the day & we share it between us so if one does get robbed at least we still have a taxi fare etc, back to the hotel. I have often seen women with those back packs and thought they were a daft idea as you cant see what's going on behind you, give me my old fashioned handbag with loads of pockets slung around me. I'm sorry these people had a bad experience but lets hope they learn from this and hire a safe and carry something safer from now on.
I have often seen women with those back packs and thought they were a daft idea as you cant see what's going on behind you, give me my old fashioned handbag with loads of pockets slung around me.

I totally agree with you Serena, my purse is on a chain in my front pocket and attached to my belt loop.....it`s going nowhere without me knowing.

I`ve never liked these types of handbags...like you say, a daft idea and a pickpockets dream come true.

If you must have one of these bags, then at least wear it back to front.

Will they learn ? :shrug I have listed this problem in the topic " Hints on what to be wary of "

sanji x
I`ve never liked these types of handbags...like you say, a daft idea and a pickpockets dream come true.

It really depends on the style of the bag - I regularly use one because I think it's safer! It has a pocket at the back which can only be accessed via a zip in the middle of the back of the bag and which sits really snuggly againt my back. Unless someone knows the actual design of the bag they won't even know it's there and even if they do they've got to get their hand in between the bag and my back. So that's were all the valuables go, it's even big enough to take a compact camera, and all the rest of the clutter, eg maps, suncream etc that can be easily and cheaply replaced goes in the other compartments. It's also going to be harder to snatch it because they've got two straps to deal with. Having seen someone wearing their shoulder bag satchel-style across their body but still getting it snatched by someone who quickly sliced through the strap with a knife, I know which bag I now prefer to use. That said I still only carry enough money for the day etc and leave anything that I don't actually need somewhere much safer in my room or the villa.

SM
They would have to slice through my hand too as I also hold on to my bag. I would feel the slightest tug. It's just as easy to cut through two straps as one and more so when they are behind you. The only way to fool these low lifes is not to take out anything more than exactly what you need for the day . I also never take real gold jewellery with me other than my wedding ring because I think this makes them think you have loads of money especially when women wear lots of gold bracelets & necklaces , it's like an advert to the thieves . I know you should be able to do & wear what you like, but sadly this is the world we have created .
My husband and I never take anything of value, except the digital camera but that can easily be replaced if need be. We take a small amount of money around with us, leaving the rest in the hotel safe. On the other hand, we have been on holiday with friends and the wife just WILL NOT put their money or passports in the safe, even when we offered them the use of our safe. She carries a large handbag everywhere with her and it holds the usual junk as well as all their spending money, their passports and their tickets. We went onto a small beach in Lanzarote a couple of years ago and she hid her handbag under her towel while we all went in the sea. The trouble was, the bag was so big it was obvious what was under the towel and, if someone had decided to steal the bag there was no way she could have got out of the water quick enough to stop them.

Some people, no matter how many times they are told, will always do something stupid like that. I was in a supermarket one day and saw a trolley in the middle of the aisle with an open handbag and a purse in it but no one around it. I could easily (if I was that way inclined) have walked past and picked out the purse without anyone seeing me. I realised that a woman who had her back to the trolley and was talking on her mobile phone was the owner of the bag. The wicked part of me thought that perhaps it would teach her a lesson if someone actually did take her purse. Some people never learn!
WHY! oh Why were they carrying so much money,passports & credit cards, wouldn't it have been safer to leave them in the safe or had they not hired one thinking it can't happen to them

Unfortunately, if you read this thread
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=80071
you will see why many people, (inbcluding me) always carry our valuables with us. However I just take the absolute minimum on vacation.
I still think it's more likely to be pickpocketed than to have you hotel room broken into and if you have a safe it's more likely the thieves will go for a softer option..IE a room with valuables just lying around. This is just my opinion and thank goodness in all the years I have been going I have not been a victim and hope I never will be.
:D Hi!, also you could not be able claim on your insurance if you had your valubles nicked, (Whilst carrying them on you), you'd be more than likely insured up to a certain amount, if you were unfortunate to have your room broked into. BBB
Our insurance have just paid out for the handbag stolen in Puerto Banus. Why teherfore can you not claim for valuables stolen whilst in your possesion?
Barnio ... if you are carrying all of your valuables around with you and are unfortunate enough to suffer loss or theft, the insurer could reject any claim, especially if a safe is provided at your holiday accommodation.

If the safe is not used, they may decide that you have failed to take adequate care of your possessions, as they would most likely regard it inappropriate and unsafe that someone should be carrying all cash, travellers cheques, bank cards, tickets, passports, jewellery, etc around the holiday resort at all times. Surprisingly, some holidaymakers do this rather than use the safe provided. There is usually a section in most travel insurance policies regarding use of a personal safe if one is provided at your holiday accommodation.

For recommendations and discussion on Travel Insurance, please click here.

David :wave
Following on from Davids post, I'm under the impression that should the holiday insurance refuse to settle a claim because you did not take the appropriate measures to safegaurd your possessions, and you do not have the appropriate house insurance policy that covers personal loss outside your home, then sadly you are up the creek without a paddle. :wink:

SanJi x
Many thanks for your reply, you have answered some questions that I had already asked myself, ie. Why did they want details of my house insurance. I can only assume that we have been paid out because of the following:- We are not serial claimers and would never go out to falcify a claim. When the handbag was stolen, it contained a digital camera and a pair of brand new Armani sunglasses. I had cash and cards in my zip up pocket. When we made the statements at the National Police in Marbella, they seemed shocked that we were not claiming for theft of cash and other valuables and we replied ""but we haven't lost any cash or other valuables" In fact, we have used the same insurance company for many years for travel insurance and I feel sure that they must vet each claim for it's authenticity based on what you have told me and the fact that we have only ever had to claim once before for a small medical matter whilst in Turkey, must have gone in our favour.
Another piece of trickery that is being reported in greater numbers this year is taking place on the Madrid ring road. Foreign plated, in particular British plated cars are being targetted, a car with two well dressed people pull alongside and attracts the passengers attention and shows a "police" identity card and gestures that the car should pull over. They slow down in front and lead the target car off the main road and stop. Pretending to be police thay speak very good English and (there may be variations) say that they are looking for English drug smugglers, counterfeiters, whatever and ask to see passports, hand bags, wallets they also want to check any GB banknotes to check for forgeries, most are returned but by distraction and sleight of hand some goes missing. If they are not discovered the travellers are sent politely on their way.

I know lots about this one as it happened to me a couple of years ago, but as I spotted him pocketting the cash I shouted to my wife that they were not police and to call the police herself. He was back into his own car and they dissappeared. We did in fact call the police who were very helpful, but could only take statements back at the police station which would take 4 or 5 hours, as we were driving back from England and the prospects of them being caught were minimal, we did not fancy spending any more time in Madrid, so we declined.

We lost 200 pounds sterling and my wife was very distraught, so once again forewarned is forearmed. You are more gullible than you would think possible. DO NOT STOP real police will have blue lights and metal badges to identify themselves and will not take you off the main road.

Someone was on the radio this week saying that three different cars tried to stop them last week, so it is back with a vengence. The police in Madrid are aware and claim to be doing their best, BUT!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.