General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
It's a very good point Fi. Good job you are so helpful and logged them off, you could just imagine someone else who might be a bit bored sitting there going through and reading them. :yikes
I'd also suggest - if you can - to clear the day's history before you log off so no-one can get access your private data.
excellent tip Fiona that people should be aware of as its a easy mistake to make..
thank god I take my own laptop as I never log off at home so would make that mistake easy.
I take a tablet away with me as well. But I need to print tickets out and that's when I use the hotel computers. I think a lot do the same.
You're best logging out of everywhere, I remember we used to advise that you logged out of here if you popped in from abroad so that no-one could follow you and post under your name.

Thanks for the reminder Fi as its an easy error to make :tup
Fiona wrote:
I take a tablet away with me as well. But I need to print tickets out and that's when I use the hotel computers. I think a lot do the same.

Fiona , I know you use BA usually , so you can do your online checkin on your tablet and pick seats etc and then ask guest services at the hotel to print your boarding cards , all they need to do is go to manage my booking and put in your 6 digit reference and surname and then choose to print boarding cards , I always get them to do this as I take my iPad and have no other need for using the hotel computer whether free or not .

Edit , I think I forgot , you're silver aren't you ?? Already picked your seat then !!!! Just BC to print.
My Yahoo public email account got hacked after I used a hotel computer in Tunisia 3 years ago -and I definitely logged out. All my contacts in the Yahoo address book got spammed during the following days.
After that experience I cleared all my contacts,changed the account password and now I only use that email account for "foreign" holidays,typing in the addy each time and switching off the option to save email addys - I NEVER log in to my "home" email account or another public email account that I use; those emails have to wait til I come home.
Brewerdave - it seems that these days clearing your contacts may not be enough. Nor is hacking limited to when using public computers. I recently had my email account hacked (haven't accessed my email from a public computer for a very long time), and emails were sent out to not only people in my contacts, but also addresses I'd at some point in time emailed and addresses that at some point had emailed me. Fortunately my account provider clocked what was happening and locked my account, but not before a lot of emails had gone out.

Ironically when I was out in Senegal for a few weeks, I regularly used internet cafes to use my email, and due to sudden power cuts wasn't always able to log off. Yet I never had any problems with hacking as a result.
sunstruck - sounds more like the portal's servers were hacked rather than your actual personal PC/email account - this certainly has happened recently with Yahoo inc BT Yahoo users.
So by hacking the servers they can get into individual's personal accounts? Didn't realise that. I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to IT related things! But it does sound more likely. Seems to be a lot of it about aswell, as my boss said it's happened to a handul of others where I work, over the last few weeks.
As it is coming up to peak holiday times soon I thought this was worth flagging up
I was a bit puzzled by some of the posts in this thread. Can somebody spell it out for me please? Why would anybody need to print out boarding cards in a hotel? I have all my travel documents before I leave my home. I suspect I may know the answer, but as a package holiday traveller - what am I missing? :que
If you are on a scheduled flight you usually cannot online check in until 24 hours before.
Fiona HT Mod wrote:
If you are on a scheduled flight you usually cannot online check in until 24 hours before.

Sorry but I still don't understand. What has this to do with tablets and printing boarding cards? :que

By checking in, I understand that to be turning up with suitcases at a desk.
You can only print your boarding card once you have checked in online. L
Let me start at the beginning. I have never booked a flight in my life. All I know is that when I go on holiday, I have flight tickets out and flight tickets back.

Reading between the lines, you appear to talking about a situation where you are abroad and, as yet have no flight home ? I'm I right in assuming this is all about finding a flight home? Presumably via the internet whilst you are already abroad? When I said spell it out, I wasn't joking- I haven't a clue about the logistics of booking your own flight home, I've never needed to, and hope I never have to, so are my assumptions right or wrong? :think
i'm on excatly the same wavelength as you with this one Frank :que
i'm going to hazzard a guess, this is a way airlines save money and get you to print off your tickets :que
If we book an independent flight --- not part of a package holiday -- we can sometimes book in on line and print out our boarding tickets. With certain airlines, you have to pay a huge penalty if you actually do not do this and turn up to check in at the desk. It is as you rightly say, a way of keeping costs down and speeding up the check in process. We have to go to the desks as normal to have the luggage weighed etc.Those of us who booked flights independently are now waiting for the times when we have to haul our suitcases to the cargo hold and stuff them in ourselves.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.