Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Warning
8 Posts
What an awful experience. I can't believe that it in't safe to take a walk in broad daylight. I often holiday alone and an early morning walk is usually a really good way to start off the day. Try and forget it and focus on the other 99% of your holiday which I'm sure was lovely.
Freda,

Terrible experience. I'm sure your thoughts were like many of us who like to go for early walks, usually the best part of the day. For this to happen doesn't bear thinking about. Unfortunately it seems to be a part of modern life no matter whether it's at home or abroad. The area you refer to does see quite alot of police so the culprit was luckyy not to be seen. Having said all that I am heartened by your last sentence that it won't put you off but rightly so you will be extra vigilant. Hope you get over it soon.

Wilson :wink:
Julie and I were in Benidorm last week, and I have to admit that we did 'notice a few things'. As has already been said though, this is not a Benidorm thing, it is a world thing. I think it is easy for us to forget that even on a bright morning, with lots of cheerful people around, and a holiday atmosphere, we still need to 'look over our shoulder', especially if we are alone, male or female. I remember one evening last week, when it was dusk, we cut through from the promenade, none of the shops or bars in this bit were open, so there were lots of murky doorways and stuff. Even though there were two of us, we are not fragile looking, and without saying too much, Julie is trained in self defence, I was still looking over my shoulder and thinking, 'I would never come through here on my own'. Having said all that, if our numbers come up on Lotto tomorrow, Benidorm is where we would move to!!! We just have to remember that, wherever we are and whatever we are doing, there are some weird people about.
I am amazed at the police presence for that time of day and in the winter, off season (having never been to Benidorm). That in itself is worrying.

My sympathies, however, and thank you for warning us.
laurie wrote:
I am amazed at the police presence for that time of day and in the winter, off season (having never been to Benidorm). That in itself is worrying.

Why do you say it is worrying to see a large Police presence? Benidorm is a large cosmopolitan town and the police are there for your safety as a tourist. If you walk along the promenade...the bit with the black and white tiling you will also see coastguard emergency vehicles parked up....a bit like those in that old US TV show. Yes, there are also many police cars and police motorcyclists to be seen, but they have been patrolling this area of Benidorm in large numbers for as long as I have been going there.
Hi Freda :) I'm sorry you had such a bad experience but like most people say, it could happen anywhere. I have always felt safer in Spain than in England, probably because of the police presence that Laurie questions . I'm glad it won't put you off Benidorm , it won't put me off either, so roll on the 28th December.
How awful for you, we were there at the same time, did notice a lot of police presence which did make me feel better about safety just sorry no one was around for you, glad it as not put you off though, i do not usually go off on my own as i am a bit wary wherever i am, but i did on my second week go off for a couple of presents twice, mind you it was afternooon and lots of people about, the only thing that worried me was one night we were walking back from the old town along the seafront about midnight very quiet we were enjoying the stroll and a flashy yellow car passed and slowed down 2 lads in car and they shouted some abuse in spanish to us and doing some guestures, luckily we were near our cut through to our hotel and we turned off i was worried they would come back as it was quite near the end of levante, it did unerve me a little though

Rosie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.