Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
was it you?
16 Posts
Must admit I am always amazed when I see people exchanging money at the hotel reception when they get an extra 2-3 rupees to the pound literally 2 minutes walk away.
When we arrived in Goa last time someone with a large wad of rupees they had just exchanged at the airport asked me how much they were worth basically meaning he had no comprehension of exchange rates whatsoever. These are the people who get ripped off because they haven't a clue what they are paying.
As for Ebay....I might just put a few up for sale !!!
The exchange rate at the airport booth never looks too bad. Do they rip you off with commission?
I think... what you see is what you get. Can't remember being charged a commision but a long time since I have used.
always quite a bit lower than in resort but if you just want to change £20 or so for immediate use its not too bad.
when we passed through the airport in November I remember thinking the rate was the same as we had seen on the internet a few days before that .....colleen
The exchange rate at the airport booth never looks too bad. Do they rip you off with commission?

Complete rip off.The rate they advertise is mis-leading.You only actually get that rate if you change £1000.Otherwise 20 rupees below anywhere else per pound.

Just turn right out of departures and there is an ATM about 10 metres away.

Papa
Yes Papa thats right, i got fleeced last year. We thought about getting a taxi to hoteland changed £20 and the exchange w got was rubbish. And after all that hubby decided to go on bus transfer so that was a waste of money. Ita true that you have to exchange alot of money to get a decent exchange. If we had got a taxi we may as well have given taxi driver a tenner and let him have the extra money. Denham
When we arrived at Dabolim 2 weeks ago the exchange booth was showing a rate of 72 rps to the £. The rate in Candolim was around 73.5 - 74 so not too much of a discrepancy if you don't change too much at the airport.
Katie p,

You will not actually get that rate check my post above.

Papa
As a warning to other travellers , the ATM at the airport can be unreliable. It wouldn't work with our Nationwide card ( but it wasn't the only one as I later found out). Should have tried another card but didn't. That's the most cost effective way of withdrawing money. You get the same exchange on an ATM anywhere.Best withdrawing a minimum £100 as there is a fixed charge with most so it isn't worthwhile withdrawing small amounts.
If you change a small amount at the airport you get a rotten exchange rate... as explained in previous posts.
If you exchange a large amount of money you probably loose out between R2-R3 to the pound. Might not seem much to some but it's 4-5%, which on my average spending in a couple of weeks would pay for a really nice meal at a top restaurant.
Thanks for clearing that up Papa. I keep reading that you get a poor rate, and every time I look at the booth, I think, well it doesn't look THAT bad, but now I know. What you see is not what you get. If you need enough changed for the taxi, then OK, but don't convert a wad. £1000? How big a bag would you need to carry that in rupees?
take some out and bring it back enough for tips and the cab .never to be ripped off at the airport exchange again .....simples
good idea :tup :tup :tup :tup
in the grand scheme of things im bendin the rules who doesnt .lock me up for 30 quid .im sure the british goverment will bail me out ......not
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.