Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Weddings in Goa
110 Posts
OK here goes, All original documents need to be legalized by your foreeign office.
Documents required
Original birth certificates, both have to be over 21 yrs of age
Passport, Return Air Ticket
If single NOC from the general registrar Office that there has been no record of any previous marriage
If Divorced-A Degree Absolute [min 1 yr gap required]
In case of widow/widower a death certificate is required and any previous mariage certificate If one of the party has changed their name by deed poll, proof is required
If one of the party is adopted, the adoption certificate is required
Detail of at least 1 foreign witness and 3 local witnesses.

You will spend AT LEAST 3 Days in Court
Contact Lester Melo, Wedding & Event Co-ordinator
http://www.melotours.com/yourweddingplanner.htm

Hope this helps
Lin
I would recommend that you arrange for the documents be notarised in goa as it is far cheaper than in the uk. IIRC when we got married the uk solicitors where wanting around £30 per document and the same per copy, was going to work out about £400 iirc. The people that arranged our civil wedding in goa charged us around a tenner for it.

Also apart from what Lin has listed you will also need to get a resident certificate from the local panchyant to say you have been living in goa for the past six months. The high court WILL check your passports to make sure that they have the appropriate visas to cover this time. So you will want to tell your wedding arranger so that they can take the appropriate action.

Also please note even if you have all the appropriate documentation the Judge in mapusa can just as easily turn round and refuse your wedding application giving no reason whatsoever.

Also when you are attending the high court you must wear trousers and a shirt with the lady also wearing a skirt and top otherwise they just kick you out of court :oops: even if the people that are arranging it say that you wont be seing the judge so you can wear shirts and a t shirt. DONT :shock:

Can i please give you some advice, dont get married in Goa or at least the civil side. It is a total nightmare and you will feel so unmarried you wont believe it. It took us 6 months of preperation and sending info to goa, we then lost a week of our holiday going to mapusa and back everyday to court some days all we done was sit outside the high court for 4-5 hours go in sign a document and then leave again.

Then when we finally found out that we could get married we then spent two day at the registery office waiting for the civil side to be done, was ushered into a room told to sign some documents and then was told "you are now married goodbye" Plus the registery office is a proper dump :D

Also its very expensive on the civil side to get married cost us well over £300 which was mainly to grease the palms for us to be able todo it.

I would certainly recommend to anyone, get an afternoon flight to goa get married in a registry office in the morning in the UK with your family and then spend a week in goa and then during the second week have a nice blessing on the beach which is wonderful.

Bobby at http://www.bobbysshack.com/ arranged our blessing, he still has a copy of the wedding photos at his shack in candolim if you want to have a look but what he arranged would have easily cost £30,000 + in the Uk and he charged us £1200.

Good luck with whatever you decide but as someone that done it in November 2003 i would hand on heart say to anyone yeah have the blessing in Goa but certainly dont do the civil side out there.

Regards

Peter

ps Civil side does have its benefits as it seems when a man leaves his wife in india they wife tends to kill herself instead of a messy divorce i have yet to convince my wife that this tradition should be continued :)
I totally agree with everything mrstella has said, sneak off to a register office before you go, and just have a blessing on the beach, It will save your sanity,
Good luck
Lin
Thanks guy's, will have to go home and disguss this with the boss but this has certainly given us food for thought. Will let you know what we decide.

Thanks again

Sonofscouse
No probs bud if you have anymore questions feel free to ask away.
hi all
wonder iff anyone can help,going to goa 23rd feb for 3 weeks.a couple in our party have arranged to get married on candolim beach the foolowing week.most things have been organised this end through wedding planner however they do not include the reception.i would like info about a good beach shack who would cater for a party of at least 18.the wedding is taking place late afternoon,hope someone can help.
Hi

Bobbyshack in candolim will sort this out for you.

He arranged our blessing on the beach, if you want to PM me for his number if you are interested.

What he arranged for us was as follows:-

Elephants to take the wedding party to the reception
Food for 50 people (inc carved pumpkins and melons etc)
Free bar from about 4 till midnight
Holy man to bless the rings
Shack was decorated etc
Live band on a stage outside the shack
about 40 mins of fireworks
fire eaters etc
3 tier wedding cake
wedding flowers for the wife
button flowers for the me and the best man
90 photos of the event inc 3 copies inc negatives and album

Amazing day and all for the silly price of £1200 :shock:
thanks for that info mrstella really helpful i have pm you for phone number,
Hi

I have sent you a pm with bobbys number, and also sent a txt to bobby to let him know.

Regards

Peter

ps. i will upload some pics so you can see what sort of thing he prepared for us.

http://www.peterferguson.nildram.co.uk/wedding/

some pics there showing the shack and food etc.
Thats brilliant ta for fotos really given us a feel of what to expect.One other question did you organise it tthis end or wait till you arrived there.
Thanks once again Val
No we arranged it from this end, we know bobby well anyway so wasnt a major issue, plus we got married (civil) in goa so that took us 6 months to arrange anyway.

Spoken with bobby and he can arrange things for the dates you are going he will just need to know what you want and what budget you have etc etc.
Been looking on the net but cant find any info on this one at all!

Does anyone know if they do gay weddings in Goa? My friends are having there honeymoon in Goa but would love to get married there aswell instead of back home in Lanzarote.

Thanks
Keira x
As of last month you now require a certificate to confirm that you are both AIDS free. Suggest you have a simple civil ceremony in uk and blow the money on a never to be forgotten honeymoon.
Thanks!
Will let them him know!
Keira x
I will be travelling to Goa Dec 06 and staying out there until Feb 07 when I hope to get married. I have bought tailored suits etc on previous trips to Goa and am wondering if I should get my wedding dress made out there? I will be having a Christain wedding so want something traditional - although more floaty than a meringue! Has anyone any thoughts or possible contacts for when I get to Goa?
Supertailors in candolim made our wedding outfits, if you have a design or a picture it will help them.

http://www.peterferguson.nildram.co.uk/Me%20and%20Angie%20in%20wedding%20gear.JPG

Those cost £200 for both the outfits back in Nov 2003 to give you some idea of cost.

Good luck

Peter
lovely photo Peter!
Agree with Fiona -- lovely photo and fantastic outfits!!
A Goan friend of ours gets married this week, and he paid 20,000 rupees (260) for her traditional European wedding dress. Cheap by UK standards but a fortune by his.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.