General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I'm usually frantic - weighing the suitcases, taking stuff out, asking the kids if they really need 4 pairs of trainers each... :roll: I'll also be charging up the batteries for the camcorder, digital camera, mp3 player etc.
I make sure I do all the washing and ironing, so that when we come home there's plenty of clean clothes to wear and just our holiday clothes to wash. I cut the grass, clean the fish, water the plants, put spare milk and bread in the freezer (milk goes in ice cube trays ready to pop into a cuppa when we get home), set the light timers, set the video, clean the kitchen and bathroom and put nice clean fluffy towels out for a nice soak in the bath when I get home.
In the evening before "H-Day" I'll have a long bath, de-fuzz, pluck eyebrows, apply fake tan, file & paint nails and get clothes ready for morning.
The tesco idea is a good one, might think about that one this year, although I'm not sure I'd be up to unpacking a big food delivery as well as having the usual piles of washing all over the kitchen floor :?
We go away in May so if i did all that Cyber I'd have to start now!!! :D
Well impressed Cyber. :D
Well, I do have to get up early to get it all done, and I don't usually get to bed until quite late (but I'm too excited to sleep anyway). After all that stress, the holiday is a nice rest!
We're off to Fuerteventura in 13 days :D so I'm putting a few lists together this afternoon - "stuff to do", "stuff to take", "stuff to buy" etc... :wink:
i like your idea about making your milk into ice cubes might give that one a go!!
That is a fantastic idea re the milk ice cubes. We don't get back till a really stupid hour, 4.30am and I always have a cup of tea before I go to bed.
we just have the cartons of uht milk in the cupboard!
im nearly always panicking that there was something i forgot to buy or pack so im out buying more last minute bits or repacking cases. i dont relax till im on that plane lol
In the past I've been flying around the day before, packing and unpacking, weighing the case, taking stuff out (god it's too heavy - do I really need that extra pair of shoes?) putting stuff in (better pop another bikini in just in case - that won't weigh much) generally just getting stressed! This year I hope to have all the packing finished a couple of days before so the day before I fly I can spend giving the house a final clean/once over and generally relaxing and pampering myself! Paint toenails the night before, waxing is done a couple of days before. Always try to get to bed early if we have an early flight but always too excited to sleep and worrying in case I've forgotten something.... :think

Oh yes - mustn't forget to empty bins and any perishables out of the fridge - nothing worse than coming home to mouldy cheese or the sight of 2 week old lettuce....
This year, I'll be finishing off my teacher training the day before we go... so I'll be in school in the morning and in uni in the aftenoon to have my paper work signed off

As I have a job in my placement school, I also have to spend the day before holiday setting work for the kids, speaking to the supply teacher and getting on everyone's nerves coz I'm going away and they're not :)
The day before my hol is a "me" day. The house has already been cleaned, clothes basket empty and suitcases & hand luggage all packed and ready. Once I've shaved underarms/legs, (eyebrows would have ben waxed a day or so previously), painted toenails and fingernails and put out our travelling clothes ready, I'll probably have a relaxing glass of wine and a natter with hubby about our forthcoming hol. I can never sleep properly the night before, I keep waking up excited :rofl
We fly out the day after we get married (Fri 22nd Aug). We fly at 11.35pm from East Midlands on Sat 23rd Aug, so we've got all day on that Saturday to chill out, watch the clock. At least we get to have a lie-in on the Saturday morning, and to recover from the wedding reception at home. Any food left over I'm going to tell everyone to take something with them as it's no good to us if we're not there!

My case is all sorted, just got to sort Andy's stuff out, what he's taking etc. I've just got to get a small jar of coffee and some sugar lumps to take. We got plenty of tea bags to put in the case for when we get over to Ayia Napa. My case weigh 20.4kg, so I'll be ok at check in coz my hand luggage only weighs about 2.5kgs. The only weighty things in my case are the sun oils, shampoo and conditioner. At least I won't be bringing any of them home afterwards as they will get used up!

The hosuework will be done in the week running up to going away coz of doing it for the wedding reception.

We're usually very relaxed and chilled out, no panicking, as everything will ber all sorted.
Funny you should ask because............I'm off tomorrow.
Got up, showered had brekkie, had haircut, it's lush! Me and nthe bairn have just finished packing our cases so are sorted. Going to chippy for tea then taking dog to mam's. Coming back home, hoovering and a bit tidying up for the burglars. :rofl Then watching Doctor who, I'd do anything, lottery, casualty, all swished down with a couple of glasses of pinot, then bed. :wave:
Mick's gone fishing till teatime, he hasn't even started packing, he has just finished buying his clothes today and are still in carrier bag on bed. :really

Catch you all in two weeks, or earlier if i can nfind a cmputer that isn't being hogged by teens on msn. ;)
:sun2
Jules Are you7 really packed now for August? How organised you are. The day before I'll still be trying to decide on what to take and what to leave behind. The towels and toiletries etc will be in the case, but most of the clothes don't go in till the day before. I've been known to be putting things in just before we leave for the airport. :que
day before going on holiday I will be getting my nails done while hubby is sleeping (hes on nights) then he packs suitcases , get hand luggage sorted and have a few drinks off to airport at 1.30am so no bed for me

Cant wait 5 weeks thursday and counting :cheers :cheers :rofl
Dropping cat off at cattery, dropping fog off at my parents, taking kids to park (weather permitting) to run them ragged so they go to sleep early, check the lists I've made for what's in the cases, get all passports, ticket, currency, tc's etc together, make sure I've rang taxi to collect us, stuck the timers on, leave key with next door neighbour, clean around, de-fuzz any hairy bits that need de-fussing, put clothes out ready for morning and then go to bed dreaming about getting to airport, checking-in, sitting in departures, boarding plane, taking off, landing etc etc till I'm walking along the promenade in Cala Bona!
I meant DOG not FOG! Think I need to get myself to bed!
pack ,unpack .pack again and then can not mind if i put a certain thing in and start all over again i,m a nightmare my other half just stays out of my way an says i,m nuts . oh well at least i mind everything usually :yikes :think .
and that,s me packing for about a week before we go :duh
dramaqueen wrote:
getting on everyone's nerves coz I'm going away and they're not

:lol: That's what I was doing before we went away at Easter - "ooh this time tomorrow I'll be on that plane/in the pool/at the bar..."
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.