EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
If you are going to a country like Bulgaria, when dealing with any agents whether it be English or Bulgarian it is advisable to take an independant interpreter, especially when at the Notarys (solicitors) looking at contracts, signing etc, then it is not too late to pull out of the deal if something is not quite right.

Celiajan
I would advise anyone to wait at least 6 months, think the bubble has burst. If buying in spain, bulgaria etc. read all the forums about property (not the estate agents ones!) Remember that all the articles in the Daily newspapers about "The Next Big Thing" are nothing more than paid ads'.

If you must buy, spend as much time as possible in the area, talk to people who have bought, don't allow one agent to "latch on" to you. If it's purely for investment stay in the UK market 8) Finally find a recommended lawyer :)
I would echo Jackys words, Do your research first and in depth.We were lucky, we bought our house in Antalya Turkey without a problem but many others have lost all there money.Suffice to say, that I knew of one English Guy who lost 150 K English and a personal friend who was Turkish lost all his money and had to go back to work along with his wife.The scams would take to long to post but if anybody has a specific question I would be pleased to try and help.

Ian
Hi Fi,

Many people visiting Cyprus on holiday, fall in love with the island, and immediately go on a property buying spree. It's as if they put on their 'holiday heads' when they step off the plane throwing common sense and caution to the wind.

Added to this the different business practices, legal systems and cultures, and their dream of buying property in Cyprus can sometimes turn into an expensive nightmare.

The most common mistake they make is taking legal advice from a lawyer who has been introduced to them by the property developer. This is a receipe for disaster!.

Any lawyer recommended by a developer, may well be the developers own lawyer and dependant on the developer for new clients. This lawyer cannot have the interests of buyers at heart.

Regards,

Nigel (aka EPHMH)
My advice would be to be honest with the estate agent and tell them as much as possible about, your likes and dislikes and what you actually want the property for. You are on holiday, why would you want to waste valuable time looking at unsuitable stuff?
I agree that you should look around in a few windows and search the internet before you come. If you find an estate agent whom you trust but they don't have a particular property, tell them what you want. 1/2 the commission is better than none.
Talk to the expats, but beware the ones who sit in bars telling you the place is doomed! If it's that bad, why are they still here? Tourism went up here, in Fuerteventura by 12% last year and it's growing all the time. Mainland Spain has had it's time, too much over building, but that will never happen here.
Follow your gut instinct, don't leave your brains on the plane and beware the agent who guarantees you will be able to sell on an off-plan property on before completion. There are no guarantees of a quick buck any more.
Make a list of what you must have in your holiday home, a list of what you would like and what you don't need.

Walk your feet off, and visit as many times as you need. Take advice from the local town hall, and not just from interested parties like estate agents.

Take a notebook and a tape measure so that you can make practical notes of room sizes, power and water points etc.

Decide on your final price before you leave the UK - try to be realistic, as your money commitments over here may rise, leaving you short on your financial commitments abroad. DO YOUR CALCULATIONS including local taxes .... again talk to the town hall.

Check that your estate agent belongs to a reputable company, and is not a fly-by-night.

Remember that you cannot ever be sure of 100% occupancy if you are buying on a buy to let basis, and that charges build up even if you are not living in your property.

Remember that insurance is vital, even if it seems like you are pouring money into a black hold.

Don't let your heart rule your head ... especially if children accompany you on your viewings. You still need to clean, cook, store foods and do the washing. And think how you might get on with your neighbours ....
Be aware of how long it takes to transfer money. If you have pounds you may think of this, but if you are transferring from one "euro" country to another you may , like me, think it is quite easy. It took 4 weeks for a German banks cheque, not a bankers draft, but a cheque issued by the bank, to clear in Portugal. I was told that it could take up to 6 weeks. It was for a deposit on a house and because of the delay I nearly lost it.
Research, research, research! The internet is a wonderful thing.

There are lots of expat forums out there and if you can find a couple for your chosen area you'll learn all manner of information that could be useful, especially if there are any specific problems in the area!

Forums usually have members who have been there and done it and are happy to share their experiences, good or bad so you can get a balanced view!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.