Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Hi Dotty

Are you flying from Glasgow?

Although I've no experience in requesting a wheelchair, I have found some info on the BAA website.

Don't know if it will be of any help, but worth a look anyway!

CLICK HERE

Philippa :D
Hi Dotty

We ask Thomson's for wheelchair assistance for a friend last year at Glasgow airport. We just asked at check in what we had to do and they said we'd have to wait until an hour before boarding to get the wheelchair. It turned out this was if she needed someone from the airport to push it. We managed to get the chair earlier and push it ourselves.

Coming back at Tenerife airport we again asked at check in and someone came with a chair and pushed her right through to boarding.

HTH

luci :wave
HI DOTTY,

DO not worry ,at check in explain yourequire assistance (assuming you do not apppear to need help) Then you will find the airport staff are more than willing and and able to do all that is required to help you. You may find you will be preboarded first, then have to wait for a lift to arrive at your destination to help you off the plane, so first. on last off!. I have never had any problems at airports in 14 years.Always tell your travel agent when booking a hol and they will request wheelchair assistance for you .We always arrive early at check in to ensure that staff have time to arrange things if necessary
Hope you enjoy your holiday have a good time ,cheers maxie :D
Hi Dotty

My mum is disabled but can walk short distances on her own. When we take her on holiday we always make sure that when flights are booked the airline knows of her needs and with mytravel and thomson we were given a number to ring each time to arrange medical seats and a wheelchair if she would have to walk too far.

We have been absolutely fine every time we have been away with her. Didn't notice where you are going but at Tenerife airport there is a specific desk which you go to, rather than the normal queue for the flight (ask any travel rep you see in the airport). As soon as you ask for assistance they bring a wheelchair, book the correct seats and are extremely helpful.

Hope this helps.
You do need to prebook special assistance with your tour op, they should give you a number to ring, ask for confirmation in writing, we have had one airport deny it was ever booked. Remind the cabin crew prior to landing that you have booked assistance at the your destination airport and they should be waiting for you when you land.

It usually runs quite smoothly but things can go wrong, if it does please don't be bullied into just managing. On our arrival at Gatwick last month another traveller was injured while away and needed assistance that she obviously hadn't prebooked, so when they came they only had room for her and my Mum and expected me to walk and it was blooming miles :shock: I knew I wouldn't be able to do it so I stood my ground and refused, they argued there wasn't a spare buggy and nobody to push another wheelchair, that wasn't my problem, I'm disabled and they have a duty, they soon found a buggy when they realised I wasn't moving. :lol:

Hope you have a good holiday.
Lynn
have found no problem with wheelchair assistance at birmingham. But foreign airports have been difficult. Palma airport was fantastic as was lanzarote but paphos, tenerife, monastair, were not able to assist with preboard or wheelchair assistance ..zakynthos was dire..after having to wait outside in the sun for 2 hours, there was no where to sit and the medical assistance was non existant:(
Hi coralsandi

I have to get wheelchair assist and have been to Paphos.
I had no problems whatsoever so I don't understand how
you didn't get it. I was, met with my chair, at the aircraft
door and taken all the way through to the exit where I was
met by my son. They even collected my luggage.
On the way home I was taken from check in all the way
to the aircraft door by a member of airport staff. I certainly
couldn't fault the service.
What company were you with?

Helenxx
just to let you all know that i had a great holiday.

i had no problem at glasgow airport taking off or landing.

corfu airport was fine when i landed. super delux wheelchair, was really surprised. had problem when returning home. managed eventually to find a rep. told to go to gate 5 and wait, i would be boarded first. everyone else was told to go to gate 4 and they all boarded. eventually the rep appeared at gate 5 was last to board but at least t got on.

i forgot how bad corfu airport is even when you are able bodied

thanks everyone for yr help.

dotty
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.