Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Hi,

The answer to the first part of your question is yes it is worth while buying your wife's watch in Tenerife. I know people who have saved between £300-£400 on items such as this while in the Canaries. Regarding the second part of your question, there is a large store by the name of Meya in PDLA which is very reputabl, as for individual jewellery shops I am unsure although there are plently of really nice looking ones about. I am sure someone else who has a better knowledge of Tenerife will be able to give you some names.

Hope this helps a bit
Jackie
I would say you can save money but be carefull! Make sure you know how much it is in the UK for the style/ type you want and satisfy yourself that the one you buy is a genuine Tag.
A quick look at the Tag website http://www.tagheur.com tells you that there are 2 shops in Los Cristianos, 5 in Santaz Cruz, & 3 in PDLA, all of which are official Tag Stockists.
Do your homework before you go, as Lawson says, price it in the UK, then price it in Tenerife, then take a trip to the internet cafe if necessary before purchasing.
Good Luck!
Is it a wind up?
:rofl

I think you need to take things at 'face' value with a very 'hands' on approach. :lol:

Seriously though, Jackie mentions Maya, this shop is mentioned on the Tag website but only the one in Santa Cruz, I would assume thought that the site has not been updated and you could assume that both Mayas are official stockists.
Hi, If my memory serves me right I recall seeing 2 shops selling official Tag watches.
First one is in the San Eugine shopping centre, and the second one is just next to the Rui Adeje Aparthotel(Fanabe). Right on the corner of the shopping precinct opposite perfume shop.

8) The Toonman
Hello - I used to work for a very high profile jeweller in the UK selling all top brand watches including Tag.

Just back from Tenerife last Friday, and yes, you can save a good deal of money. First of all go to a jeweller in the UK, choose the model you want, price it..............asking for discount on the price!

Then go into the shops detailed above and basically haggle. Dont be intimidated at the surroundings or the staffs reluctance to give discount. Even a top profile jeweller has the leeway to give discount, a higher amount on diamond jewellery, rings etc, but also on branded watches.

Their ticket price in the window will be less than the UK, but you will be able to get a significant amount of discount off even this price, if you are prepared to be firm.

Happy shopping!!!!!
Many thanks for all your replies.

I've emailed official stockists Joyeria Ideal, located in Plaza del Duque - near to our hotel - and I know I can find it!
Then go into the shops detailed above and basically haggle
This is interesting as Maya - one of the few electrical stores in Tenerife that is not a rip off Asian store - pride themselves, along with the other few as having a "No haggle, the price you see is the price you pay" policy. This eliminates the guess work shoppers normally endure when shopping.

I'd be interested to hear if you get a discount at Maya. :wink:
I cant vouch for Maya, Makum as Ive never been in there, but I do know that top profile stores all over the Uk will have a built in margin on their ticket price. They "know" people will ask for discount..............if you dont ask you dont get................. :wink:

But as I havent bought expensive jewellery in Tenerife maybe they are completely different! But as I say.................if you dont try :D :D :D

Even if you dont get it, the price will be cheaper than in the UK anyway!

Happy shoppin :D
Have been to Joyeria Ideal in Plaza Del Duque. Very nice and certainly a reputable company. You shouldn't have any problems there
An update for anyone who's interested:

I've received a response from Joyeria Ideal. Their opening gambit on the model my wife wants is above the cheapest I've found in the UK (which is on the internet, admittedly).

They also don't normally stock that particular model, which could have been a problem if we had arrived without checking first. They can order it in, however.

I responded that I'm very surprised at the quote, given the tax status of the Canaries.....

I think I prefer haggling by email at leisure compared to face to face.
Hi Villian

Have you had a reply yet regarding a lower price and the "Canarian tax situation"?

This is very interesting.
makum110 wrote:
Have you had a reply yet regarding a lower price and the "Canarian tax situation"?

No, they've just left it....

I wonder if it's the exchange rate at this time, or if "Tax-free" shopping in Tenerife isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
In my experience since living here; the latter of your post is the norm!
Look at this website for a reputable jeweller

http://www.joyerialuten.com
Bought a TAG Heuer Formula 1 Professional model WAC1110.BA0850
400 EUROS (UK List Price £600)

Ideal Joyeria San Eugenio CC August 2004

thanks to Edrodon Blue romping home at 25-1 in the King George that year.
Thats a fantastic saving peter, i bought a omega seamaster full size and i saved approx £ 250 on uk prices.

Your watch incidently now currently available on the internet at £460, retails in shops at £575.00.

I take it yours is the one with the stainless steel strap. Nice watch
Yes I reckon its nearly half price. :lol:

I had fancied a TAG for a while and knew the current UK price £500 -£600. Looked around all over PDLA and found this small joyeria in San Eugenios. He wanted 450 Euros but he settled for 400.

Got a full signed and stamped receipt and he said if there was ever any probs to bring it back. Not had a seconds problem with it though.

Happy to recommend them if anyone is looking for a watch.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.