General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Try http://www.vonessenhotels.com (think thats the right link).

I have stayed at Thornbury Castle for my birthday this year. I wasn't overly impressed but they have some other great Von Essen hotels all over the place. Including one in Edingburgh which is aslo a castle.........you could fly up there?

If you are talking abroad.....perhaps Bruges?

LisaMJ
How about Amsterdam - for a really special treat, you could let him go on his own !!
lisamj.
thanks for that Bruges looks lovely. one to check out. as for thornury castle it has always been my dream to live in a tudor house. i've earmarked that for ME!!
( ps thanks for the photo's in the egypt thread. i've asked you a question there!!)

sagres.
have you been to Amsterdam? i did think about this but wasn't sure if it were a " lads only" sort of place :oops: :oops:

i'll be honest i've only been abroad 4 times so am not that up on all these places. thats why i need HELP!! medot.xx
Exactly - that's why I suggested you let him go on his own !!
You would expect me to say this I'm sure, but what about Madrid? It is a beautiful city, in September the weather will be lovely, and Easyjet fly from Luton, so not too far from you.
Hiya Medot :D

Palma is a georgous city, loads of culture, restaurants, shopping, etc and its only 2 hrs away!

Also though Ive never been, I have been told Barcelona is beautiful.

Or what about Rome..............
tootsie.

i'll be honest. if i was going to go to palma i'd go there for my summer holidays. two weeks soaking up the sun. so thats a no no.

i like the idea of barcelona, madrid and bruges so far. as i said hubby quite likes the idea of venice but i'm not sure whether we should do this as a two week cultural holiday at a later date. i'm sure if i went to venice then i'd want to go to rome and the idea of the holiday is that we stay put in one place. medot.xx
No probs Medot on myearlier reply :D

Amsterdam is actually a really nice city despite it's Red Light/Pot smoking reputation. We went with some friends a couple of years back - but not quite good enough for that something special!

Another thought, how about New York? Ok, more likely 6-7hours flight but has a big wow factor.

Back to Bruges, a friend of mine was propsed to there by her now husband and she said it was a lovely place and really romantic. PLus yummy chocolate :wink:

Are you going to tell your hubby or surprise him on the day?
no new york is far too far away. i really can't do another long flight at the moment. had a bit of a wobbly when we went to orlando.

when it comes to going away its always me who picks the places then we decide together exactly where to go. spoken to hubby and hes quite keen on the bruges idea. medot.xx
I think you'd like Madrid Medot - we had a great 4 days there, loads of museums, galleries, great restaurants.

Another Idea - Florence?

A guy at work came back from there recently and has been raving about it, saying how beautiful it was.

Also Nice? we've had 2 trips there, the whole coast is great, you can get to Monte Carlo, Cannes, Antibes etc
What about Lisbon..you could stay outside at a place like Cascais or Estoril so your by the sea...but your still handy for the city, and also places like the UNESCO heritage site of Sintra.

Then again there is always Prague.
Prague is meant to be nice although I've never been myself
Why don't you PM Tony for info on Venice?
Barcelona for me. Great city, lots to do and if the weather is nice you have the option of a day on the beach as well.
Prague is fantastic - it's such a beautiful city. Even my husband loved it when we went for a long weekend a couple of years ago. Beer's cheap too ! It's the only city break we've been on (short haul) that he said he wanted to go back to.
Bruges is lovely, I was there at Christmas with my kids and we had a great time, really pretty and plenty to do and see.

Also if you fancy a change from flying you can cross on the Ferry, its an overnight crossing so you just need to book a hotel for a few days in between.

Have fun,
samx
Medot,

My boss went to Rome and Berlin last year and said that Rome was horrible (dirty and covered in grafitti), yet he can't wait to go back to Berlin. I know it's not everyone's idea of a great holiday, but he said that the atmosphere and the re-building is amazing and you can also see lots of different things, particularly what's left of the Berlin wall.

Other than that, Barcelona would be my choice as the city is amazing and you've got the beach as well - what more could you want??!!

Karen
hi all.
thanks everyone for all the advise. so far i've put things to my hubby and looked through the 1 holiday brochure i've got and Bruges looks like the leader so far. its not that far away and we can take the train. there is an added bonus that we could stay with my sister in law who lives in ashford and get the train from there. i have to say its somewhere i wouldn't have looked at without the help of you people here.

my brother is coming over in a coulpe of weeks. hes been to barcelona and madrid so hes bringing his holiday photos to show us.

mcbabe. it was actually seeing the photos that tony took that make me want to go to vrnice but we have decided that we also want to see florence and rome too so we are going to look at "doing" italy in 2007.

medot.xx
Oh I would love that, me and my husband are coming with you :D

why wait until 2007 have you already got next year booked up?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.