Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
try this

the mozzis come out at dawn and dusk, by these times you will be on board anyway, the ship has aircon, so no mozzies
cant you get a cruise departing and returning to Southampton??
cant help with the heat or muggings though...as anywhere, just be careful where you go :)
jane
If onbaord a ship a bit difficult for the mugger to get away. Seriously trips out are often in groups and you are usually back onboard by night time so very low risk of mugging. Mossies dont get out to sea very much so again unless you are spending the evening ashore much less risk of mossies than a spanish or greek holiday.

What time of year are you going ? Where do you normally holiday ? Is it likely to be any hotter than where you normally go ? Onboard again nice sea breezes, plenty of shady areas and a nice swimming pool to dip in to cool you down.

On most long haul aircraft the in flight entertainment systems are so much better now so show him this and point out that the take off and landing is the same for 3 hours or 10 hour flight but on these aircraft there are things to watch and listen too to take your mind off things. Point out that wouldnt be great to conquer this fear of flying so the whole world can open up to you.

All else fails no cooking/no washing/ironing and anything else you may wish to withdraw.

Or I am going with a friend might change his mind

Kind Regards
Stewart
we've never been to the caribbean before but thinking of going march/april.

we went to turkey in june and it was hot then but we coped :rofl
Go on the BBC website and compare average weather conditons for Bridgetown Barbados for March/April and Istanbul for June. If your hubby survived June in Turkey then no problem with the Carribean.

Stewart
If you pay the extra to upgrade to the premium cabin the flight is fairly easy, you get so much more room to move around, free drinks and the ability to be able to stop and start the films which makes the time go very quickly. If you can't get premium seats you can still upgrade the entertainment so you can watch all of the films, for about a fiver, its well worth it.

Mossies shouldn't be a problem unless you intend being around stagnant water, the usual protection has always worked for me and the little blighters love me without it.

As for muggings, they can happen anywhere in the world if you're not sensible, don't wear flashy jewellery, secrete expensive camera's or take a disposable if you're really worried, don't wander off into isolated areas and you will be fine. My Mum and I in our mid 70's and 50's regularly holiday in the Caribbean on our own with no problems.

Good luck in changing his mind.
Try looking at a cruise that leaves from Miami, the flight out won't be more than about 7hrs.
RCCL Freedom or Liberty of the Seas have nice itineraries. The Eastern Caribbean resorts should be ideal.

If he has never cruised, either of these ships will change his mind.
Weather in the Caribbean- temps are pretty even all year, mid 80's at the time of year you are looking at.
Take ship- organized tours and you should not have any problem with security.
Another plus point about a Cruise is that there is no need for innoculations. Never quite worked out why not, but it is true. Been on a couple of Caribbean Cruises with Ocean Village and really enjoyed the experience.
Although it is not the most modern or palatial ship, the itineries are fantastic. On a two week cruise there is usually only one day in each week, that you spend at sea. So many islands to see in such a short time.
Lorraine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.