General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Where else?
18 Posts
I don't think anywhere exists like that in Europe anymore. That is why last year and this year we did away with the summer hols and went for 2 weeks Easter and 3 weeks Xmas and New Year to Goa. This year we are doing 2 weeks Egypt at Easter and 3 weeks again Xmas and New Year in Goa. At least we know when we go to Goa we are guaranteed good food, lots of sun, places to go and the meet ups which are all very good value. Fortunately we have travelled to lots of different places over the last 40 years and are now quite happy to settle for Goa even with all the changes there.
Why don't you cut the coupons out of the daily paper..you can go caravaning all over the uk for about 10 pounds. We went to Barry last year,took our own sandwiches and a flask it was a really cheap break.
Usually we head for Thailand in september.It is the rainy season but you get lots of sunshine and up to a few months ago was relatively cheap.I am afraid the collapse of the pound has made it not so cheap.

This year just do not know.
Why don't you cut the coupons out of the daily paper..you can go caravaning all over the uk for about 10 pounds. We went to Barry last year,took our own sandwiches and a flask it was a really cheap break.

The trouble it costs a few grand for a caravan, another few for the car, a lot for petrol and all that happends you get stuck in a trafic jam.
(cheap, friendy, cheap, sunny, cheap, lots of interesting things to see, and of course - cheap).

We rent a house in the south of France for four weeks every summer - with flights and car rental, costs are on a par with our four weeks in Goa.

Not everyone does Goa on the cheap. :think
I'm not confined to school hols, so outside of absolute peak summer season, I would go to Morocco or Turkey or Greece...maybe Spain. Pick carefully, and it can be done relatively cheaply, along with eating cheaply etc. Confined to school hols, and I still think that if you shop around flights and book an independent apartment or something, then you can go cheaper.

I don't think that one week in Goa is particularly that cost effective (flights eating up a good part of the cost) - although there are probably good bargains to be had in April and the prices may be cheap when you get there. In that respect, I think that two weeks in summer elsewhere can be done almost as cost effectively if you steered away from tourist strip eateries, do a little self-catering/cheap lucnhes etc.
Hello Phoebe,
You're right about 1 week in Goa not being cost efective, especially during school holidays - however it's that or no Goa at all for us!
As for self-catering, Dear Wife spends all her working life organising catering so I like to make sure that we don't even HAVE a kitchen when we go away!
We'd rather spend more to travel further afield if it means we can afford to eat out all the time once we are there...
I agree Kevin, don't want to go anywhere near a kitchen when I am on holiday. That is the best thing about holidays the luxury of having the time to get yourself ready and then going out for a nice leasurely meal and a drink with no washing up/clearing away afterwards.
cuba considering the higher standards of hotels and ammenities its much cheaper than goa but with the majority of hotels being all inc its not as real
i love both places for different reasons :tup
we go Island hopping in Greece most summers, get a flight to Athens, spend a night of two there and then catch a ferry to wherever you fancy, hundreds of different islands. Provided you dont go July or August you can usually pick up a decent room on arrival for about 35 /40 euro a night.sometimes cheaper depending on the island. Great freedom and each island different then the last. You can usually visit 4/5 islands on a 2 week visit. brilliant and cheap tho not a patch on Goa!!
We like a relax hol in Hurghada - fab weather and laid back. We go AI and are VERY lazy wiith lots of book reading and chillin'. Great snorkelling and lovely warm sea to dip your toes in. You know how much it will cost beforehand and we find there's nothing much worth spending your money on so, as long as you want to be lazy, I thoroughly rec it!

:tup
We avoid Europe and always head for the Far East, love it, to get the weather try Bali, Ko Samui or Hua Hin in Thailand :)
Ko Samui, ive been wanting to go there for so long ;)
Gemma , go for it, I have been 4 times, I really think you would like it :)
I'm with Shirley on that Gemma....
We loved Ko Samui, and agree that in many ways it is similar to Goa. Perhaps that might have to be our destination again this summer - or perhaps a different island in the same region.
Thanks everyone,
This has given us lots to think about :think . Went to Ko Samui a few years ago and loved it, so might go back but try another 'Ko'...
Just getting ready for the off to Goa on Saturday. Went to Kerala again in November - prefer Goa.
As other posts have said, Ko Samui is lovely, laid back, brilliant little airport and a little similar in feel to Goa. Krabi and Phi Phi are also nice, as are Hua Hin and some resorts in Phuket. We will be returning there next season.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.