General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Where to go??
16 Posts
Why not give Tunisia a try , we are going for the first time in October
If you just want a week in the sun, have you considered going All Inclusive? If you were to add your drink/food budget to your £300 you may find it gives you more choice. This would also mean you don't necessarily need to try and get out of the eurozone, although as Lindy has recommended Tunisia is good value for money. Also try Turkey, since you aren't going in the school holidays there may be a deal to be had.
Also if you dare leave it until nearer the time try subscribing to Travelzoo, they often come up with some good late deals, if quotes you get now are out of budget.

Pam :)
I would definitely try self-catering in Turkey. Although it wouldn't suit you, because it sleeps 6, to give you an idea of costs, our villa is only £450 per week in October. So you could get a small apartment for a lot cheaper. Add some low cost flights and you should easily do it for less than £300 each.
Thanks for the replies, I have looked at Tunisia but am a bit wary of budget accommodation, the reviews of cheaper hotels and resorts arent great. I have been to Turkey and loved it but would like to try somewhere I havent been before if possible. So that rules out Costa Del Sol, Majorca and Lanzarote as well as Turkey an Thailand (not that that is an option anyway on our budget! :cry )

I have found a few bargain AI's in Greece but the hotel reviews were bad and they were in the middle of nowhere which seems to be the general trend for A.I's in Europe.
I am thinking maybe Egypt at the moment- can get HB for less than £350 each and it appears to have everything we are looking for-definately on the short list.
Where in Egypt Stace, as you have to be very careful there as well. Most of the AI's seem to be in the back of beyond.
I have had a look at the Egypt discussion forum and am now a bit put off to be honest. Seems as if going outside the hotel can be a bit of a hassle, we like to be able to explore. Even if we were all inclusive we would still want to venture out and about.
My BF's parents are going to Sharm el Sheikh in April so we will see what they think before we decide.
The canaries are another option but again I am worried about spending a fortune whilst there. I usually love deciding where to go but seem to be exhausting all our options at the moment! :que
Forget egypt unless you want tummy troubles, and rubbish alcohol and non stop hagglers.spain for me I for one am not stopping going to spain due to the euro, I am an avid spanish fan, and eat, live and breathe spain..
I wouldn't discount Egypt. Alcohol is not all rubbish, tummy troubles are not automatic and I have had more hassle in Turkey and Tenerife! In my opinion it's good value - I had holidays in Spain, Turkey and Egypt last year, and am going back to Egypt this year, hopefully more than once!
I will give Egypt the thumbs up as well. The hassle in Naama is similar to what you get in Turkey , although it can feel a little more intimadating . The same rules apply to that of turkey . just a friendly "no thank you" .

Stomach upsets are more common over the very hot summer months so I wouldnt worry about that in October . Weather will be perfect.
Usually good for lates in October if you are prepared to wait. We usualy pickup a villa with pool in the Algarve or Majorca (with flights and car hire) for your budget.
Egypt is still a strong possibility. I wasnt too bothered about the hassle in Turkey although it did get a bit annoying by the end of 2 weeks, we were 2 girls holidaying on our own so they were pretty relentless!
I have been to spain in october and the weather, alhough better than the UK wasnt as good as we would like this year.
We have to make a decision this year between going to Glastobury or having a holiday. The other half is keen on Glastonbury so I need to find a destination that will sway him before the final Glasto ticket sale on April 5th. :duh
The rotten Euro rate won't stop us heading back to the Algarve (Santa Eulalia/Albufeira to be
more precise.) We can't get enough of the place.

In October, you would get somewhere there well within your budget, (cheaper again if you book
an apartment direct with an owner off holiday rentals etc) which would equate to more spends!
Result! :tup

A choice between Glastonbury or a holiday?
No contest. Holiday! :tup
:rofl A weekend in mud or the beautiful Red sea being waited on . No contest stace :tup
I had a Glasto ticket reserved with a deposit. Having seen the rumoured line-up I've cancelled and had my deposit (minus the £10 booking fee) refunded. I've no wish to see Rolf Harris, Bruce Springsteen or Madonna! :yuck :yuck

Go on holiday! :D :sun2
:rofl Thanks for the replies, I would much rather go on holiday than spend 5 days in a muddy field in somerset again aswell and I am pretty sure I will get my own way! ;)
We have been fortunate enough to be able to go to Glastonbury and on holiday the last 2 years as last year we had saved for ages to go to Thailand and the year before I managed to get a bargain- HB in majorca for £190 each.
Although Majorca was great this year I want to go somewhere a bit different and warmer. My shortlist is Egypt or The Gambia at the moment the latter would stretch our budget but I have found 4 star B&B for £385 each which is a lot less than I thought- this is going in November but that doesnt matter.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.