Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Where in Crete?
14 Posts
What about the other side of Crete, the Chania area. There seem to be alot of fans of this area on HT. I went to Maleme this year on a family holiday and we had a great time the only reason I wouldn't specifically recommend my hotel for you is the beach was OK but not brilliant (it had all the usual banana and doughnut type watersports though). The hotels pools were some of the best I have seen, so the beach wasn't an issue for us. Also Chania has its own airport making transfers easier.
Try Stalis it is great for all age groups. The locals are lovely and the beach is really good. You can get the happy train to the water parks and it gives you a good look of the area.
I agree with Nasher, Stallis has something for all ages, can be as quiet or as hectic as you like, but there again I'm bias as we spent 7 years on the trot there. :D
chania way is fantastic, i just stayed in a little family run place called the alexandros st + appts in kalamake and it was fantastic. very quiet little town nearby and ten mins either side are charnia and plaitenais. there are great beaches all along the coast and a waterpark quite near. there is a little train that runs past and will take you most places including the gorge. charnia itself is a beautiful and very historic place, it has a little maritime museum, harbour andboat trips, and the places to eat in the harbour are exceptional, the three girls spent lots of time and money in the indoor market, us three lads found a harbour bar and watched the locals fishing whilst we drank beer.
i have been to many parts of crete but this area is the best, its as peaceful or loud as you want it to be, but always stunning.
Chania is always a top spot for us! Ag. Marina has become more touristy along with Platanais with something for all ages. We like further along the coast though as it is quieter and the beaches are great! Have a good time.
If you want the perfect combination of wild nature, mountains, great beaches, great nightlife (not too many drunken Brits) and real Cretan cuisine, head west from Chania during the day and return at night. Also try the area around Stavros (just north east of Chania). Its where Zorba did his famous dance in the movie. Best beaches are Falasarna, Kalathas, Elafonissi and definitely do the Samaria Gorge.
Fantastic! Couldnt agree more. The more I think about it the more I miss it! Definately the best part of Crete.. :D
Just as an aside Zorba the Greek starring Anthony Quinn was actually filmed on Rhodes, but I dare say every greek island proberly claims it was shot there or am I thinking of "The Guns Of Navarone"

Still all of Crete is nice and the people are fantastic.
Many places claim the Guns of Navarone but in fact the famous gun emplacement shots were actually taken in Bonifacio on Corsica. The film set is still largely intact.
Zorba's dance was performed in Stavros, Crete. If you know the movie scene you'll soon recognise the mountain and surrounds when you visit Stavros. Absolutely no doubt on this. Look also at the movie location credits.
Finally, although a Crete fanatic, I can also strongly recommend Corsica. It's strangely unknown to brits which is odd because it's the closest med. island and arguably the most beautiful. The best bit is that the bucket and spade brigade can't get cheapo flights there, so it remains unspoilt and sophisticated.
Never been to Corsica but we have friends who go there every year and love it. We tried Corfu this year and are going again next year. We loved it there very much but our hearts are still in Crete - we want to go back when we feel 'homesick' but feel that our earlier memories are the best as the area we normally stay in has been wrecked somewhat by new massive hotels and more touristy tat. As I mentioned before we stayed further along last year, Kolymbari near Skoutelonas. Very quiet and untouristy. We stayed in Karmi Studios which were brilliant and soooo cheap. They have actually increased their prices from 14 euros a night FOR THE ROOM to 18 euros (what a cheek). No honestly, brilliant accommodation including tv and air cond. in the price. Pool very good too. It is a bit of a trek from the airport but we hired a car and only took about 40 mins along the highway. We have a hankering to go back again....
I know we are really wandering :offtop now but as nobody has told us off yet, i'll chance my arm. Moving on from whats been said about Corsica, I can't understand why nobody goes to Sardinia, also only two hours away and beautiful. It seems to be ignored by most brits.

Still recommending the Chania area to the original poster though. Great part of Crete. :wave
the reason no one has said anything is that i have not been fully on line for a couple of days.. I will offer you some grace and ask that you keep off topic chat out of the main forums.. as it is nearly christmas i will be a bit leaniant and ask that you keep any off topic to this thread but still in context of the forum,, but only till christmas

wizard
:wave If you've not already booked, look at Agios Nikolaos. I've been going at least twice a year since 1995 & LOVE IT! Tried Gouves a couple of years back, but altho it was fun we were hankering after Ag Nik within 3 days...... Ag Nik is not as busy at it was 10 years ago - for some reason the GB holiday Co's have cut back on their packages there. During the day it buzzes - if you like sitting in a raki bar or cafe neon, people watching it's fab! Large (posh!) cruise ships dock in & passengers embark, giving it a comsopolitan appeal. At night it's a mixture of good restaurants, "local" bars, trendy bars etc. I wouldn't go anywhere else......... The aim is to move there in the next few years.. Am totally in love with the place!!! :love Can recommend places to eat/drink/stay if wanted??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.